Ford Dealership Service Departments

Are You Satisfied with Your Ford Dealer Service Experience  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Are You Satisfied with Your Ford Dealer SERVICE Experience?

• Very Satisfied
    • Satisfied
    • Neutral
    • Dissatisfied
    • Very Dissatisfied

I just got my Focus back from having the clutch replaced last night. While it was there I also had them perform an alignment on it.

I'll admit I'm a very picky person when it comes to my cars, so my qualms may be nothing to you. I'll let you decide. Here's how it came back:

• Bottom engine cover: missing
  • After alignment: Steering wheel off center
  • Clock not set / Date set to 02/20/2014
  • Sirius had to be refreshed to get a signal
  • Filthy / greasy paper floor mat still in car

Now mind you, I know they had to disconnect the battery when doing the clutch so that explains the clock / date / Sirius. But I know at my brother's Lexus dealership they reprogram all of that for you (yes, I know Lexus is a luxury car....but does setting your clock need to be a luxury service item?). Isn't the extra 2 minutes worth it to make that extra difference to the customer? I just think if my 75-year-old mom got her car back, she would never figure out how to get Sirius working again or set the date, etc...

Obviously, the missing engine cover and the steering wheel being off center is just super sloppy work. Makes you wonder how good a job they did with the clutch/trans removal reinstallation.

I like to think that Ford is more of the premium domestic offering when it comes to quality and after purchase service, but literally every time I've had to get any type of service (more than an oil change/tire rotation) at a Ford dealer, it has to go back because of bad work. I've never had that issue with any other manufacturer (maybe I was just lucky?).

I've switched dealers twice now because of this. Does anyone else run across this? It is seriously making me consider other manufacturers just for the service experience.

Edited by Anthony
  • Like 2

I just had my 2017 Fusion Sport in for the steering wheel recall last week. I had several other complaints including paint match on the bumpers versus other panels, transmission shift quality, and a manufacturing defect inside the taillight. These issues were either not addressed or misrepresented (especially the paint and taillight). Of course the service manager was out the day I picked up the car. So I am following up with him to address my concerns. Im very particular with the cleanliness and appearance of all of my vehicles. I will say that this Ford Service department does a pretty decent job in that regard. Oh and they gave me a new Escape for a loaner at no cost!

I would write a letter to the Owner/ General Manager and the Service Manager. Not an email, a letter. May not get anything out of it but let them know what you think.

And don't curse. It just makes you look stupid. My neighbor did this regarding a Taurus over 15 years ago and he came off looking like a fool. Opened my eyes to what he was like.

I had problems like that with my local dealer so we switched to another one and had much better service. It's sad that there are so many bad service depts out there and there is almost nothing Ford can do about it.

Ford can do something about it. From what Im told they are really cracking down on Lincoln dealers. If the customers are reporting things like their cars are not cleaned after service, ford is taking money away from the dealer. Something like $1500 a violation.

Truthfully its the dealers management thats responsible for making sure quality work is performed. On the flip side of that Fords warranty times are so low that the technician is just trying to meet the times which can result in messy work. Theres plenty that should be done on both ends.

• Bottom engine cover: missing
  • After alignment: Steering wheel off center
  • Clock not set / Date set to 02/20/2014
  • Sirius had to be refreshed to get a signal
  • Filthy / greasy paper floor mat still in car
The first two are definitely BS. They are part of the car. If they try charging you to fix them raise hell

I agree the second two arent the end of the world but they should at least fix it for you as a courtesy.

The last bit is just unacceptable. I would definitely be pissed about that.

Ford can do something about it. From what Im told they are really cracking down on Lincoln dealers. If the customers are reporting things like their cars are not cleaned after service, ford is taking money away from the dealer. Something like $1500 a violation.

Truthfully its the dealers management thats responsible for making sure quality work is performed. On the flip side of that Fords warranty times are so low that the technician is just trying to meet the times which can result in messy work. Theres plenty that should be done on both ends.

I'd be surprised if that doesn't end up in court somewhere eventually unless the dealers agreed to that outside their normal franchise agreement.

About 15 years ago Ford tried to do a Blue Oval certified program where they were going to give dealers with great customer service scores an additional 0.5% holdback (not taking anything away from the others). Dealers sued and won.

I understand Ford is squeezing dealers and techs on warranty work and it's not right either and I'm sure it contributes to the problem.

I've never left a Ford dealer service department feeling impressed. Most of the Ford dealers around me are owned by AutoNation and they don't even accept QuickLane coupons anymore. I have to drive past two AutoNation Ford dealers to find one that accepts the QuickLane coupons. They seem to do an okay job, but they are slow. If I purchased cars based solely on the dealership service experience, I would not buy Fords. This is something Ford really needs to fix. Maybe going back to more independently owned dealers versus one or two companies owning 90% of the Ford dealers in a 100 mile radius.

We purchased a used Kia for my daughter* at the Chevy dealer next door to my closest AutoNation Ford dealer. Every aspect of the purchase as well as the service they provided after the sale was much better than I ever experienced at any Ford dealer.

*I tried to convince my daughter to get a Ford, but she had her heart set on a Kia Soul and she was paying for part of it with money she saved up. When we bought it, I made my wife put it in her name. :)

This is something Ford really needs to fix. Maybe going back to more independently owned dealers versus one or two companies owning 90% of the Ford dealers in a 100 mile radius.

How exactly do you think they can do this without violating automotive franchise laws?

Maybe our dealership is an outlier...I've been happy with their service.

For our inspections, we used to take our vehicles to one of the several small shops around. Every single one of them have left our vehicle dirty, with the last one requiring scrubbing of the headliner in the Milan when we were finished! Since our Ford dealer is 25 miles away, we now take our vehicles to the Chevy dealer (2 miles away) for inspections. Heck, they even wash it when they are finished! It was funny the first time we took the Flex and they couldn't find it in their system! :hysterical:

• Like 1

When I had my Focus, my dealer would never wash it after service because none of the porters felt comfortable enough driving a stick to park it in the track, which is irritating but understandable

What irritates me is whenever I take my car in for an oil change (I would do it myself but I refuse do deal with the lower engine cover) it takes SO DAMN LONG. Last time I was first in line for an oil change and it took them 3 hours. Next time (after Ive used up all my owner advantage points and my free one I have coming for the Fusion) Im going to the dealer closer to me that has a quick lane.

When I had my Focus, my dealer would never wash it after service because none of the porters felt comfortable enough driving a stick to park it in the track, which is irritating but understandable

What irritates me is whenever I take my car in for an oil change (I would do it myself but I refuse do deal with the lower engine cover) it takes SO DAMN LONG. Last time I was first in line for an oil change and it took them 3 hours. Next time (after Ive used up all my owner advantage points and my free one I have coming for the Fusion) Im going to the dealer closer to me that has a quick lane.

I don't know how long our dealership takes...my wife drops it off, they shuttle her to work, then pick her up at the end of the day. She likes me to schedule it on really cold, hot, or rainy days since she has to walk a few blocks from the parking garage to her office whereas the shuttle drops her off at the door. :)

• Like 1

This!

Go there at 7am to be first in line (and even with an appointment) for a "The Works" oil change/tire rotation and it takes at minimum 2 hours.

• Like 1

the Service depts do have $ that come directly from Ford based on CSI scores....if its shoddy the dealership can and does lose $$$ big time...heck, theres $ for getting customers e-mail address's, downloading ford pass on their cell phones, CSI....its ridiculous.

The long term solution is to blow up the existing franchise laws. They are complete BS. In no way do they benefit the consumer which was the original intent.

Completely agree. But you're never going to get state politicians to overturn them because of perception.

I really think it comes down to the dealer. I just took my car in for warranty work on the sunglass holder, yes the sunglass holder, because it would only close once every 20th try. They were nice enough to drop me off and pick me up a few miles away at the train station. They were also nice enough to leave the package in the front seat, or at least part.

That said, I've had some good experiences and bad with the dealer I usually go to. I once had a service advisor play tough guy, with the tow truck driver who was towing my car there. I go there mostly for convenience and they have a reasonably roomy service waiting area with office cubes if I decide to wait it out.

the dealer provides a convenience to the public...and almost more importantly a buffer between the consumer and Ford itself...for that reason alone they will not be going anywhere, NOTHING to do with powerful lobbying groups. If Ford wasn't franchised you'd have zero choice where to take your car, and have less of an infrastructure...I used tesla as a prime example...if he had franchised the financial burden of location, buildings, personnel...their medical coverages is absorbed by the Owner, not the manufacturer, so theres more outlets and areas to go to to A) buy the vehicle, B) service the vehicle and C) buy parts. The problems with every complaint I ever see about dealers can be laid solely at personnel issues NOT the business model itself...And seriously, if you guys knew even a quarter of the hoops we have to jump through to appease a hostile consumer due to process's Ford MAKES us follow it would most likely change the anti dealer sentiment, there are times we are actually instructed to NOT repair obvious issues...you are acting like entitled armchair umpires. So please...enlighten me as to how blowing up said Franchise laws would actually improve things....and FWIW this is my viewpoint but I don't work at a HUGE conglomerate, its still Mum and Pop and we still take pride in how we treat consumers...yet we STILL get pissed off consumers...its the nature of dealing with a consumer that has become more entitled over the years.

Edited by Deanh
  • Like 2

Sorry for your experience. DPS6 repairs get hacked bad. Since the cover is gone, have them double check that the harness/heater hose holder over the starter is there, and that the rubber access plug between the starter and block is there too. I see TONS of them that way in my bay because some buttwad threw them away instead of reinstalling. The harness holder isn't a deal breaker, but if the rubber access plug is missing WILL allow water in, which WILL ruin the clutch.

Ford has cut, cut, and cut again the labor times on this repair. It used to pay 8 hours JUST to replace the clutch, not including diagnosis. Now the tech is REQUIRED to get an RVC on each one, submit the IDS session with recordings and make the repair for less than 6 hours for non leaking input seals on Focus and Fiesta. This is MORE work for 25% less pay than the old time was for just replacement. Additionally, if the claim is submitted without the correct parts charged out (down to the last nut) they can and will bounce the claim, meaning the dealership eats it and the tech often is backflagged for the work he did. I am in no way justifying the behavior, because the repair should have been completed with tool marks being the only visible evidence, but it is also hard to remain professional when you have been kicked in the teeth.

Ford sets the times, and if its a huge issue they save money by cutting the tech's time. Started in a big and bad hard way with 6.0 diesel. Now its door latches on EVERYTHING and DPS6.

• Like 2