Will Lincoln ever build a coupe on the mustang platform?

Please no more 4-doors with cramped back seats.

Amen to that. If you (any luxury car maker) are going to make a luxury sedan, it has to have a realistic back seat. It does not necessarily have to be limo-like back there, but it has to be useable by more than just kids.

SO I wanted a luxury sports coupe after the Mark8, and Nope...had to settle on the LS...ok well, sports sedan... why not... I learned to love it...after 3 of them (still waiting for that wet-dream coupe), I'm now realizing Ford/Lincoln won't be doing a real sports sedan either. (yes I'm bitter), since I'm the black cloud, I'm wondering what vehicle to migrate to (Already have an MKX I'm getting tired of crossovers), that will guarantee it's future failure and discontinuement...

• Like 1

SO I wanted a luxury sports coupe after the Mark8, and Nope...had to settle on the LS...ok well, sports sedan... why not... I learned to love it...after 3 of them (still waiting for that wet-dream coupe), I'm now realizing Ford/Lincoln won't be doing a real sports sedan either. (yes I'm bitter), since I'm the black cloud, I'm wondering what vehicle to migrate to (Already have an MKX I'm getting tired of crossovers), that will guarantee it's future failure and discontinuement...

I have a Fusion Sport, it's a lot of fun to drive. Have you thought about an MKZ with the 400HP 3.0EB?

I have a Fusion Sport, it's a lot of fun to drive. Have you thought about an MKZ with the 400HP 3.0EB?

I have, but considering they will be replacing it/kidding/no longer doing sedans, I don't want to get stuck with something already dead in the vine, that's been my issue. But I have driven in, the porker needs to lose 300lbs, not exactly nimble.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

A Lincoln on the current Mustang platform would be totally inappropriate. This platform's ergos, build quality potential, AWD limitations, and NVH, are just too far behind what Lincoln needs to be. CD6 should lend itself well, though, for building a really memorable Mark X. I've always liked Mustangs, but they are just real far behind what luxury sports coupe now offer in both luxury and sport.

Edited by TBirdStangSkyliner

A Lincoln on the current Mustang platform would be totally inappropriate. This platform's ergos, build quality potential, AWD limitations, and NVH, are just too far behind what Lincoln needs to be. CD6 should lend itself well, though, for building a really memorable Mark X. I've always liked Mustangs, but they are just real far behind what luxury sports coupe now offer in both luxury and sport.

HAHA HAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh man, its been a long night. Thank you for that, I needed a good laugh.

Glad I could amuse you fuzz, but there is no direct luxury coupe analog to the classic American Muscle Car. The Mustang platform is a perfectly fine competitor to the Camaro and Challenger, but unlike the GM platform, it wasn't designed to be as readily modular for other uses. Go to weekend events at any road course venue and you will see that even with the IRS, Mustangs are universally considered the most ill handling cars in attendance (Challengers usually don't show and Camaros are just slightly better). Most club sport guys loath their attendance. The sport segment of coupes made by luxury makers isn't going to be in the platforms lexicon without a lot more investment than could ever be recouped (pun intended). Also, drive some coupes weighted towards luxury by luxury brands and you will discover the same magnitude of difference in ride, comfort, visibility, etc.. Unless you think a Lincoln coupe needs to be little more than a rebadged Mustang with a Continental kit trunk and RWD only, there isn't a niche where it could be competitive with rival makers.

Poor performance on a road course would seem to bode well for a luxury coupe. Besides they wouldn’t just take it as is - they would make some modifications for better NVH. It would work just as well as a Continental based on a FWD Fusion.

I still say CD6 will look a lot like the current mustang platform.

I have no doubt that the CD6 platform will be an improvement over the current Mustang platform and certainly more adaptable to other variations. If Lincoln does build a coupe, it would be from CD6, not the current model. However, the current Mustang is far more refined than many would expect. I am not saying it would meet luxury car standards but with a bit of suspension tuning, sound insulation, and more luxury oriented tires, it could be competitive. I have a friend with a 3 series BMW. In terms of NVH, he agrees that my Mustang gives up nothing to it. The 2018s have an acoustic laminate windshield and revised rear suspension compared to the 2017 and earlier models. My 2018 is both quieter (with exhaust set to "quiet') and better riding than my 2016.

Just me personally, I'd rather Lincoln NOT do a Mustang. I think Ford would be better off building Mustangs under it's heritage name. Sort of like what Ford has done with the F150 instead of doing a Lincoln truck. We know how well that went.

What I would rather Lincoln do is come out with a performance electrified vehicle. Something more akin to a Tesla model S with ludicrous mode. From watching Caddy sales, I just don't see Ford being able to get their return on investment with a Mustang model. Not without resorting to the old parts bin and not making it unique enough. I full on electric I think they could pull off. Or if nothing else, a performance hybrid, sort of like what Porsche has done lately.

As far as the Mustang goes, I think they could stretch the platform models deeper like they've done with the F150. They could make one with enough high quality parts and interior that could satisfy most Americans, and turn more profit.

Just my 2 cents anyway...

It wouldn't be a Mustang any more than a Continental is a Fusion. It would be a unique vehicle with luxury features, styling and materials. It would be low volume for sure and wouldn't sell a lot but it would be nice to have in the lineup to round it out. And it would command a premium price while sharing a lot of the stuff you don't see including the drivetrain and suspensions. Remember this would be CD6 not the current mustang platform, although I think they'll be very close.

It would probably be offered as a PHEV like Aviator with the 3.0LEB. A BEV would probably need to be a utility.

In all seriousness-if a lowly Escape/Focus platform can be used as a Lincoln CUV, I see no reason why the current Mustang can't support a Lincoln if needed.

https://autoweek.com/article/car-news/ford-will-build-all-vehicles-five-platforms

A bunch of outlets are indirectly reporting that the current Mustang platform is on its way out. It isn't in the five anounced by Ford for its future. Something better is coming in CD6. Yes, a muscle car platform could eventually, with enough investment, be modified into anything, but why double, triple down on something that wasn't designed under the modern paradigm of light, rigid, efficient modularity.

Coupes made by all the luxury makers fit various combinations of great handling and comfort for a couple of people. The Mustang wasn't designed or invested in for the fulfillment of either of those purposes.

By it own name, variable architecture means that there's fewer hard points compared to a traditional platform

and as Hau Thai Tang explains, that opens up around 70% of parts and modules for use in different vehicles.

a lot of the structures used can be modified to work in other vehicles that look completely different.but also,

we need to let go of the notion that the same floor pan is used in all vehicles - only D3 did that.