2018 Navigator Oil Change

DCP

I usually change the oil on a new vehicle at 1,000 miles and, being a car nerd, I do it myself. The plastic drain plug on this one has me confused. When I look online, some say pry the lower ear out, some say push both ears in, and some say just twist the drain plug off and use pliers if needed. Anyone know the correct way? I am assuming that the correct way also entails replacing the drain plug, correct? Finally, anyone know if panels need to be removed underneath? Thanks in advance.

• 4 weeks later...

I usually change the oil on a new vehicle at 1,000 miles and, being a car nerd, I do it myself. The plastic drain plug on this one has me confused. When I look online, some say pry the lower ear out, some say push both ears in, and some say just twist the drain plug off and use pliers if needed. Anyone know the correct way? I am assuming that the correct way also entails replacing the drain plug, correct? Finally, anyone know if panels need to be removed underneath? Thanks in advance.

Having just done my early oil change, I thought I would follow up. Unlike every other Ecoboost 3.5 I found on the net, the Lincoln has a metal oil pan and metal drain plug. The weird part is that I went to the Lincoln parts department to buy a replacement plastic drain plug. After looking it up, he ordered and sold me two, now useless, plastic drain plugs. Except for needing to remove two sound insulation panels, one under the back of the engine and transmission and the other under the front of the engine because that is were the oil filter is, the oil change was as with any other car. You don't really need to remove the front panel, but I was afraid that it would get oil on it from the filter area. Removing the panels was easy. Both have four bolts. Access to the oil filter is good. It was on a little more than hand tight, but there is plenty of room for the pliers style oil filter removal tool, so no trouble at all.

Having just done my early oil change, I thought I would follow up. Unlike every other Ecoboost 3.5 I found on the net, the Lincoln has a metal oil pan and metal drain plug. The weird part is that I went to the Lincoln parts department to buy a replacement plastic drain plug. After looking it up, he ordered and sold me two, now useless, plastic drain plugs. Except for needing to remove two sound insulation panels, one under the back of the engine and transmission and the other under the front of the engine because that is were the oil filter is, the oil change was as with any other car. You don't really need to remove the front panel, but I was afraid that it would get oil on it from the filter area. Removing the panels was easy. Both have four bolts. Access to the oil filter is good. It was on a little more than hand tight, but there is plenty of room for the pliers style oil filter removal tool, so no trouble at all.

I thought about doing an early one around 1000 miles on mine but I didnt. The dealer gave us a few free ones and Im gonna take advantage of it that and the pick up and delivery service at 7500 miles. I expect they will be careful about oil on access panels and all, Im always extremely careful about this kinda stuff when I do my own auto maintenance but this is the first vehicle Ive ever had where it will be a dealer queen as we got extended service plan and extended warranty on it.

• 4 months later...
On 8/11/2018 at 2:45 PM, DCP said:

New owner, and really new to Ford/Lincoln.  Quick question on the oil drain plug location.

Plug is located on the passenger side, correct?  Is it the plug right by where you see the engine and transmission comes together (right in front of the transmission starts)?  When I looked up, it looks like it drain may interfere with a beam, which looks like perfectly lines up with oil drain plug?  

Just doesn't look like it, and want to make sure I pull the right plug.

Edited by Houston Sparty

Ok, here is the picture, taken from the passenger side.

- "sound" is the rear damper by the engine and transmission.

- "bolt" is what i think is the drain bolt.  If it is, what is the drain plug size?

- "beam" is the I think cross link beam, which lines up perfectly with the drain plug.  

If it is right, I think I am going to change the bolt with either fumoto drain plug or something similar for easier drain next time.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_4164.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

I'm about ready to do my first oil change on our 18' Navigator and this thread leaves me a bit confused.   

- So my plug will be metal, right?   I ask because DCP talks about going to the dealer to get a plastic plug, but says his is metal.

- The plug in the picture posted by Houston Sparty raises more questions.   Does this whole thing just unscrew with a deep-socket wrench, or does the (what appears to be a) nut unscrew from the red stud?    The two parts look like separate objects.

- Why the all the length in the red stud?

thx...

2 hours ago, ToddGak said:

I'm about ready to do my first oil change on our 18' Navigator and this thread leaves me a bit confused.   

- So my plug will be metal, right?   I ask because DCP talks about going to the dealer to get a plastic plug, but says his is metal.

- The plug in the picture posted by Houston Sparty raises more questions.   Does this whole thing just unscrew with a deep-socket wrench, or does the (what appears to be a) nut unscrew from the red stud?    The two parts look like separate objects.

- Why the all the length in the red stud?

thx...

I think you are looking at the wrong screw. I put a new arrow with red dot that is the drain bolt. Takes 15mm socket to remove. I have changed it out with fumoto drain valve, which I will post later. 

C6876E42-9DA7-4444-837F-C79AF408DC3F.jpeg

1 hour ago, ToddGak said:

thx Sparty,   Lol, my eyes were completely focused on the wrong bolt.    

If you go to the raptor forum, built date prior to about mid feb 2018 were built with composite oil pan with plastic drain plug. I am not sure if any of the early build Navi’s were built with plastic drain plug or not. 

Good luck with your oil change. 

Like I stated earlier, I changed out mine with fumoto drain valve to make my oils change easier and less messy. I will have my large used oil jug directly under and will not have to mess with anything after. 

I used fumoto on my other vehicles for over 4 years without any issues, so I expect the same. Apply but of oil on the rubber gasket prior to install, and will almost be a permanent fixture from this point forward. Picture show the model I used and ordered from amazon.

let me know if you have any questions 

1AE1E1C0-D764-414C-AC8C-B0AF29956E1F.jpeg

59BFA7A2-4288-46BD-BD57-5C0B2A1A121A.jpeg

• 1 year later...

Old thread, I know, but what oil are y'all using? Full synthetic or blend? 

I found several videos online showing 3.5L EB oil changes. All but one had the plastic yellow drain plug. I believe after 2019, Ford went back to the metal bolt for that on all vehicles. Much discussion in videos of the oil spewing out and creating a mess. Isn't that just a matter of slowly removing the bolt?

I'm approaching 1000 miles and thinking of doing one as well. One more question. Have y'all jacked up your Navigators to do this, or is there plenty of clearance without doing so?

7 hours ago, Houston Sparty said:

Full synthetic, Costco Kirkland 5w-30. I do my oil change at around 5k. And use Napa gold filter. 

removing and installing the cover takes the longest, but everything is pretty easy. 

Excellent, and I see it meets the API SN PLUS that the Owner's Manual states is recommended. ?

I saw one video where the guy only removed 3 bolts for the oil pan cover. He left the rear passenger side bolt on but slightly loosened then swiveled the cover out of the way. 

Edit: Wow, $29.99 for full synthetic, 2-5 quart jugs. Probably can't beat that. Wonder who makes it for Kirkland. 

Edited by Black Label

Full synthetic for us too on our '18.   Metal bolt, not plastic.   I don't need to jack up the front to slide under as long as I lay on the floor and not a dolly, and I'm a big person.   Nice tip on rotating the oil pan cover, I'll have to try that next time.   I'm usually able to find 5 qts synthetic at our local auto parts store (O'Reillys, Western Washington area) for no more than $25, and sometimes they run a special that includes the oil filter in that price.   Oil changes are easier on our Navigator than most vehicles, easy access to everything.

• Like 1

Done a lot of research the last several hours since seeing the post about Kirkland oil. Seems to be very good and very well priced. I'm going to try it out. 

I bought a Black Label, so I get some "free" oil changes, but I'm thinking about doing one when I hit 1000 miles pretty soon. Hoping when I go to the dealer, I can get full synthetic and pay the difference. 

15 hours ago, Black Label said:

Okay, anyone purchased and used one of these? I have seen people complain about the draining of oil on the Navigator since it goes out to the side. This looks pretty easy to use. 

I saw a lot about a rush of oil from the plastic drain plug engine, but this one is completely normal. No experience with that device.

• Like 1

By the way BL, if you decide to lift the truck for better access, remember that you need to turn the running boards off if your jack will interfere with their operation. I used a floor jack to jack up the passenger side so I had to disable the running boards.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Black Label said:

Alright, saw Scotty Kilmer touting this. Looks even better than using the Mighty Vac. Drain the oil once the old fashioned way then this looks pretty clean and easy to do for subsequent changes. 

https://www.valvomax.com/products/valvomax-quick-twist-valve?variant=31835835629677

I was about to ask how that helps since the oil would just spill out when you unscrew it, but I see now it has a check valve that doesn't open until you screw on the hose.  Pretty neat design.

I have the plastic pan and plug on my F150 and it couldn't be easier.  Just unscrew the plug with a small pliers and you can control the flow of oil by how far you pull out the plug, so no splashing and it doesn't get on your hands.   No leaks so far either.

• Like 1