2018 Navigator Oil Change

DCP

1 minute ago, akirby said:

I only have to remove the shield under the oil pan.  My oil filter has a built in drip tray that directs the oil to the pan without moving anything.  I thought the protective shield u dear the oil pan was torx screws like all my other but I might be wrong.  

I also have the plastic plug so oil changes are a snap.

Gotcha. Lots of complaints online, naturally, about that plastic plug. Probably like everything else in that once you figure out how to use it, it's fine. And, that answers what I was about to ask you if you could get your impact wrench up in there to loosen and tighten the oil drain plug but you don't have to! 

I'm close to pulling the trigger in the links you sent last night. 

5 minutes ago, Black Label said:

Gotcha. Lots of complaints online, naturally, about that plastic plug. Probably like everything else in that once you figure out how to use it, it's fine. And, that answers what I was about to ask you if you could get your impact wrench up in there to loosen and tighten the oil drain plug but you don't have to! 

I'm close to pulling the trigger in the links you sent last night. 

I don’t recall plug complaints just leaking oil pans which thankfully mine doesn’t do.  Because the plug is long I can remove it and pull it out part way preventing the oil from gushing out without getting it on my hands.  Much cleaner.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, akirby said:

I don’t recall plug complaints just leaking oil pans which thankfully mine doesn’t do.  Because the plug is long I can remove it and pull it out part way preventing the oil from gushing out without getting it on my hands.  Much cleaner.

Some guys preemptively bought new plastic plugs because they were sure they would break the OEM plug trying to get it out. 

Also, LOTS of complaints that the side drain vs aft drain created a huge mess with oil spewing out everywhere. Pretty much sums up many of their comments. They also said they took off the oil fill cap PRIOR to draining. Uh, I waited until after I got the bolt off to remove my fill cap for venting. Thus, I had zero mess. 

7 minutes ago, Black Label said:

Some guys preemptively bought new plastic plugs because they were sure they would break the OEM plug trying to get it out. 

Also, LOTS of complaints that the side drain vs aft drain created a huge mess with oil spewing out everywhere. Pretty much sums up many of their comments. They also said they took off the oil fill cap PRIOR to draining. Uh, I waited until after I got the bolt off to remove my fill cap for venting. Thus, I had zero mess. 

But all you have to do is pull it out halfway and it will start to drain slowly into the pan even with the fill cap off.   It's so easy.  Wait a couple of minutes then pull it out all the way.   I thought about buying a spare as a backup but honestly I don't see that it's necessary.

3 minutes ago, akirby said:

But all you have to do is pull it out halfway and it will start to drain slowly into the pan even with the fill cap off.   It's so easy.  Wait a couple of minutes then pull it out all the way.   I thought about buying a spare as a backup but honestly I don't see that it's necessary.

Hey, I hear ya, but you know how people are! So many were pissed that Ford would go to that plastic plug. It didn't look difficult to me. 

On 4/22/2020 at 9:21 AM, Black Label said:

I'm one of those guys that purchased a spare plug for the 2.7L Nautilus,  also purchased spare o-rings and filter housing.  I "feel" better having these on hand just in case.  Appreciate info on draining procedure,  only 1500 miles on car so not ready to change oil yet.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, T hawker said:

I'm one of those guys that purchased a spare plug for the 2.7L Nautilus,  also purchased spare o-rings and filter housing.  I "feel" better having these on hand just in case.  Appreciate info on draining procedure,  only 1500 miles on car so not ready to change oil yet.

I thought they switched back to metal bolts on all the newer engines. Guess not. 

• 4 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, normannavigator said:

Thank you. To reach 2, do you have to jack up the car? from front or side. Also from which side do you reach the drain plug?

I did jack up the front but some people say they haven't. Maybe I'm becoming more claustrophobic in my early 50s, but that would seem like a tight fit. 

The oil plug is on the passenger side of the oil pan. Some people changing the oil on F-150s with the same engine complained about the oil spewing and making a mess. They also all opened the oil fill cap PRIOR to draining. I waited to open that until after the oil was draining and had no mess.