2018 Navigator Oil Change

DCP

1 hour ago, normannavigator said:

Thank you. To reach 2, do you have to jack up the car? from front or side. Also from which side do you reach the drain plug?

Thank you! Your HF jack stand might be recalled. 

https://images.harborfreight.com/hftweb/recalls/Jack-Stand-Recall-56371_61196_61197.pdf

Thanks, I had checked a few days ago. Mine don't fall in with that recall. 

17 hours ago, akirby said:

I use rhino ramps on my F150 for extra clearance.  Much safer.

I used a floor jack from the passenger side on the frame rail. You have to remember to turn the power running boards off if you do this. That allowed me to lower the truck to level easily while draining.

Also the F-150 complaints about oil spewing everyone are the engines with the larger plastic drain plug. The Navigator has a conventional metal plug and doesn't have this problem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCP said:

I used a floor jack from the passenger side on the frame rail. You have to remember to turn the power running boards off if you do this. That allowed me to lower the truck to level easily while draining.

Also the F-150 complaints about oil spewing everyone are the engines with the larger plastic drain plug. The Navigator has a conventional metal plug and doesn't have this problem.

My F150 has the plastic plug.  It’s about 3 inches long and you don’t have to pull it out all the way.  I can modulate the oil drainage very easily by how far you pull it out and absolutely no mess.

I hope you’re using a jack stand and not just the jack.  That’s not safe.

17 hours ago, akirby said:

I hope you’re using a jack stand and not just the jack.  That’s not safe.

Yes, of course. And thanks, I should have mentioned that. Oh, and it wasn't  a Harbor Freight one either!

Edited by DCP
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, DCP said:

Yes, of course. And thanks, I should have mentioned that. Oh, and it wasn't  a Harbor Freight one either!

I have a friend in the process of rebuilding a very old Bronco. He has a lot of HF stuff, including floor jack and jack stands. Not sure if their stuff is considered unsafe. I know about the recall. That seems to happen. Regardless, my jack stands do not seem to be impacted and have worked fine on 2 oil changes so far. 

3 hours ago, Black Label said:

I have a friend in the process of rebuilding a very old Bronco. He has a lot of HF stuff, including floor jack and jack stands. Not sure if their stuff is considered unsafe. I know about the recall. That seems to happen. Regardless, my jack stands do not seem to be impacted and have worked fine on 2 oil changes so far. 

I have a number of Harbor Freight tools, including a floor jack that has served me very well. My joke is to never buy anything there that, if it breaks, will hurt you. Some of their stuff is really cheap and it shows. Some of it is really good for the price. Just need to appreciate what you are and aren't getting from Harbor Freight. To be clear, I don't consider their (unrecalled) jack stands unsafe.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1