Over the past few months the old vic has increasingly taken longer to start. Mostly she's been a strong starter, but about 3000 miles ago it started taking maybe half a second longer to start, and that start delay slowly increased until today I cranked for 3-4 sec and it didn't catch at all. Waited a few then cranked again for 2, let off, and it barely seemed to catch, but it started. Wouldn't surprise me if it didn't start again the way it's progressed. Any idea what's going on? This car is new to me and I don't know much of it's history. Not all that familiar with crown vics either. 266k miles

Can't remember if the engine light is on I'll have to check. When I hook my reader up it just says error although it works on my other vehicles. This was a cab once and there's a lot of extra wiring in there for where the meter was etc. My guess is this stuff has something to do with why my reader get that error message.

The tough start seems to happen when it's cold when sitting overnight. After running for a bit and while still warm it starts up more easily.

I don't remember when the CV got electronic throttle control, so it could possibly still have a mechanical throttle and a idle speed control valve..

Slow starting/no start s a classic symptom of a sticky idle speed control valve. Remove it, clean it (carb cleaner of brake cleaner), replace it. Might need a new gasket.

Thanks for pointing me to the idle control valve. Sounds like an easy job.

So I was able to frankenstein the gauge in just downstream of the new fuel filter. After first start the pump put out 32 psi but then dropped to 25 after running 5 mins and after 10 it settled to around 22 psi. On second start I cycled the key once and the gauge read 10, cycled again it read 30, again it read something like 50, and last time it read around 60. Started ok but that reading seems high to me.

Been told to expect a reading bt 32-33 at idle. With a reading 10 psi below normal does this mean for sure that my pump is bad? I really need to get a FSM on this car.

Edited by bradleyheathhays