Delivery problems

First post. I joined the forum for info about the current Super Duty trucks. I own and have arranged to trade in my 2004 F350 Crew Cab DRW diesel. Tired of suffering the fuel injector failures etc. and only 100k on the odometer. I have a large Truck Camper that has been hard on the bed of my 2004 after 75k miles of exploration in the west.

So, on May 9 I placed an order thru my small town New Mexico Ford dealer for a 2018 F350 Crew Cab DRW Gasser. After the Kentucky plant closing and reopening, the dealer was informed that my build would be a 2019 with no significant changes over the 2018 order. Wow. One of the first ones off the line.

By late June the dealer had a VIN and then was notified of the arrival by rail in Albuquerque on or about July 11. Now my dealer is aware that the local shipper is notorious for long delays to our corner of the state because of partial loads etc. Finally the dealer was notified that shipment was scheduled for July 20. That didn't happen. More waiting with no updates.

Then on July 24, the Vehicle was supposed to be red-tagged for immediate shipment. No further updates. Finally, last Friday, July 27, the dealer was informed that the vehicle was pulled by Ford for "Quality Control" tests. When the district rep was questioned, he said he would look into the action but could not promise a positive outcome. Otherwise, delivery is now "Mid August".

Does anyone know about this "quality control" process?

My truck sat on the shipping lot for over 2 weeks. If it had been shipped as originally planned on July 20, It would already be mine. I don't blame the dealer at all. Communications with Ford for these problems is thru the dealer only (Direct Ford inquiry by me was absolutely useless. I knew more than they could discover on their computers.)

Thanks for reading about my problems.

Rick

First post. I joined the forum for info about the current Super Duty trucks. I own and have arranged to trade in my 2004 F350 Crew Cab DRW diesel. Tired of suffering the fuel injector failures etc. and only 100k on the odometer. I have a large Truck Camper that has been hard on the bed of my 2004 after 75k miles of exploration in the west.

So, on May 9 I placed an order thru my small town New Mexico Ford dealer for a 2018 F350 Crew Cab DRW Gasser. After the Kentucky plant closing and reopening, the dealer was informed that my build would be a 2019 with no significant changes over the 2018 order. Wow. One of the first ones off the line.

By late June the dealer had a VIN and then was notified of the arrival by rail in Albuquerque on or about July 11. Now my dealer is aware that the local shipper is notorious for long delays to our corner of the state because of partial loads etc. Finally the dealer was notified that shipment was scheduled for July 20. That didn't happen. More waiting with no updates.

Then on July 24, the Vehicle was supposed to be red-tagged for immediate shipment. No further updates. Finally, last Friday, July 27, the dealer was informed that the vehicle was pulled by Ford for "Quality Control" tests. When the district rep was questioned, he said he would look into the action but could not promise a positive outcome. Otherwise, delivery is now "Mid August".

Does anyone know about this "quality control" process?

My truck sat on the shipping lot for over 2 weeks. If it had been shipped as originally planned on July 20, It would already be mine. I don't blame the dealer at all. Communications with Ford for these problems is thru the dealer only (Direct Ford inquiry by me was absolutely useless. I knew more than they could discover on their computers.)

Thanks for reading about my problems.

Rick

Retail customer orders are automatically identified for expedited delivery and include green window stickers for easy identification compared to the standard blue window stickers. If your vehicle is really being held at the ramp for a quality hold issue it might be a unit that the plant is concerned being included in a production range issue that's being investigated. Of course, it's also possible that there's no quality hold and simply a matter of not enough vehicles available to ship to your dealership's area.

• Like 1

They didn't start building 2019 Super Duties until 7/9, so there is no way that one could be shipped and arrive in New Mexico by the 11th. Post your VIN and hopefully one someone like icecapades or fuzymoomoo can pull the history and give you a more accurate account of your unit.

Edited by RPF
  • Like 1

They didn't start building 2019 Super Duties until 7/9, so there is no way that one could be shipped and arrive in New Mexico by the 11th. Post your VIN and hopefully one someone like icecapades or fuzymoomoo can pull the history and give you a more accurate account of your unit.

This.

Your truck was built before the OK TO BUY was given so it will not be shipped until it is reinspected.

• Like 2

Retail customer orders are automatically identified for expedited delivery and include green window stickers for easy identification compared to the standard blue window stickers. If your vehicle is really being held at the ramp for a quality hold issue it might be a unit that the plant is concerned being included in a production range issue that's being investigated. Of course, it's also possible that there's no quality hold and simply a matter of not enough vehicles available to ship to your dealership's area.

ice-capades,

Thanks for your insights. Makes some more sense to me. I think I will stop by the dealer to talk about the new understanding I have.

Can some helpful person (ice-capades, fuzymoomoo) look at my vehicle VIN to get a more accurate feeling of the circumstances surrounding my delivery problems?

1FT8W3D65KEC32326

Very much appreciated, TY in advance

Rick

Edited by rickjohnson45@gmail.com

Can some helpful person (ice-capades, fuzymoomoo) look at my vehicle VIN to get a more accurate feeling of the circumstances surrounding my delivery problems?

1FT8W3D65KEC32326

Very muck appreciated, TY in advance

Rick

I don't like doing this in the main forum anymore because everyone starts asking and it gets to be too much to handle but I will make an exception for you because you may have a weird circumstance going on here.

The most recent update is the order was sent to the plant for production on the 26th, so there's a decent chance it hasn't even rolled off the line yet, but as I found out yesterday the system can be a little slow to update. It most certainly hasn't been released for shipping yet that much I can be certain of.

Digging into the order a bit, are you sure you gave me the right VIN? The one you gave me is for a stock order and I have a hard time believing that the dealer would order yours as stock and not a retail order.

Edited by fuzzymoomoo
  • Like 1

Based on the date the window sticker was generated (072618), that unit will most likely be produced on Friday 8/3.

Check that window sticker link I posted and make sure that it matches your order. FWIW, that window sticker is for a F350 DRW 4X4 XLT Premium with a 6.2L engine in white.

• Like 1

Based on the date the window sticker was generated (072618), that unit will most likely be produced on Friday 8/3.

Check that window sticker link I posted and make sure that it matches your order. FWIW, that window sticker is for a F350 DRW 4X4 XLT Premium with a 6.2L engine in white.

YES. Dealer had wrong VIN. It was for a stock truck and everyone at the dealer a bit clueless. Stock Truck is very similar but not identical to mine and a 2018 truck. Albuquerque phone communications are not good either. Anyway, dealer now has new VIN with anticipated delivery of 8/20. Thanks for the special treatment. I t really has been a difficult experience.

Rick

WOW! Yes. That is my truck.

Thank You. Thank You. Thank You. Thank You. Amazing what real data can do for the human brain.

YES. Dealer had wrong VIN. It was for a stock truck and everyone at the dealer a bit clueless. Stock Truck is very similar but not identical to mine and a 2018 truck. Albuquerque phone communications are not good either. Anyway, dealer now has new VIN with anticipated delivery of 8/20. Thanks for the special treatment. I t really has been a difficult experience.

Rick

Ive noticed small town dealers generally arent as knowledgeable as dealers in more populated areas.

Rick

Just great to hear that your Dealer gave you the wrong VIN number. Just goes to show you how many dealers can't get correct order status information for customers.

Just great to hear that your Dealer gave you the wrong VIN number. Just goes to show you how many dealers can't get correct order status information for customers.

It amazes me that Ford doesnt do more to make sure that doesnt happen. Ultimately its Ford that ends up looking bad, not just the dealer.

I honestly believe some of these small town dealers dont even know the portal exists....

My dealer just got confusing info from Albuquerque with the very similar truck and no one checking VIN on it. Just DRW XLT CC white, etc., and other truck is so similar that no one thought to track the VIN on mine.

To the best of my recollection, I was given the correct VIN for my truck about 3 weeks ago (see the window sticker I was BLESSED with above). The sales manager at my dealership just isn't a detail person like me. If I didn't keep bugging them, I would know nothing at this point. All the bad info I did get led to this topic with my frustrations. Thanks to the professionals here, I have a much clearer, and probably more accurate picture of what is about to transpire.

THANK YOU ALL.

Rick

• 4 weeks later...

fuzzymoomoo, ice-capades, RPF, and all other commenters,

Wow. It arrived today. Almost everything you experts said was true. Build date was 08/2018, so Aug 3 was a pretty good guess.

Albuquerque rail lot did not produce reliable shipping info. Last Thursday, the estimated ship date was Monday 8/20. On phone Tuesday he said it had left the lot. Today I asked the driver and he left Albuquerque this morning (Wednesday). Oh well, I am now a VERY HAPPY CAMPER. And yes, I have a Lance 1181 Truck Camper (4400# dry weight without liquids and the myriad of belongings that we take) that will ride on my new beast. It is OK. I have a cargo capacity of 6500#. Here is the first view I got of the truck:

First 2109 F-350 in my small town

Thanks all again for being so helpful.

Rick

fuzzymoomoo, ice-capades, RPF, and all other commenters,

Wow. It arrived today. Almost everything you experts said was true. Build date was 08/2018, so Aug 3 was a pretty good guess.

Albuquerque rail lot did not produce reliable shipping info. Last Thursday, the estimated ship date was Monday 8/20. On phone Tuesday he said it had left the lot. Today I asked the driver and he left Albuquerque this morning (Wednesday). Oh well, I am now a VERY HAPPY CAMPER. And yes, I have a Lance 1181 Truck Camper (4400# dry weight without liquids and the myriad of belongings that we take) that will ride on my new beast. It is OK. I have a cargo capacity of 6500#. I chose the 6.2l gasser and I really like the engine on the first few miles. Specs compare favorably with my 2004 6.0 diesel, more horses but less torque. Here is the first view I got of the truck:

First 2109 F-350 in my small town

Thanks all again for being so helpful.

Rick

Edited by rickjohnson45@gmail.com

• 3 weeks later...

Do Green Sticker's really get expedited preference on rail and truck?

Most of the time. The green Window Stickers are used for retail orders to make them easier to identify for expedited shipment to dealerships. The retail orders are also automatically "hot flagged" for expedited delivery in the records that the carrier dispatch departments use. Sometimes there are delays depending on the volume and mix of vehicles headed towards a particular area. In addition, the dispatch departments have software that helps them determine what mix of vehicles of different size vehicles they can fit on a particular car carrier. Some vehicles can only be placed in a particular place on the carrier, etc. Usually, only 3 F-150's can be loaded on a carrier, only 1 F-Series Super Duty DRW (Dual Rear Wheel) can be loaded on a carrier and it has to be at the back of the bottom deck, manual transmission Mustangs have to be loaded a certain way, etc.

• 3 weeks later...