2019 Ranger Configurator & Pricing

Ford needed the old Ranger for CAFE, with the new CAFE requirements and the F-150/Expedition now CAFE positive the need to discount the Ranger so much is eliminated.The Ranger XLT and F-150 XLT will be priced very close with high demand next year for the Ranger with limited rebates and the F-150 in its last year of the current generation competing with the RAM and GM Twins. You also have the subset that just don't want a big truck like a F-150; just a truck they can park in their garage do some Home Depot runs and something their partner won't be scared to drive.

Everyone complaining about price of the new Ranger needs to stop clicking all the options boxes or just either pay the price the options demand or settle for an f150 if they think it's a better deal.

The new Ranger is plenty cheap if you don't get option happy. The old ranger was cheap because it didn't have options. Most of the options available to add to a 2011 XLT are standard equipment on a 2019 XL. Compare prices and you find that a base XL 2019 is, adjusted for inflation, about the same price for as an equivalent 2011 XLT. If you want leather and electronics-eveeything, of course it's going to cost you - that stuff isn't cheap! But it's not like GM/Toyota give that stuff away either. Nor does Ford with the F150.

And I really don't get comparing prices to a Sport Trac - my memory of those was that they got into the $40s a lot easier than the F150s did at that time. Now someone will claim they bought theirs for $24k as left over stock some dealer was having a fire sale on. Of course that's possible but remember the same thing can (will) eventually happen with the new Ranger.

Edited by Sevensecondsuv
  • Like 1

I disagree ! MOST of the appeal of the Ranger was price !!

I had a standard cab Ranger for a year. Mu then future son-ln-law who is 6'4" actually had so sit with his head bent and knees up to drive that thing !

What year was that? They stretched the regular cab by 2" and reworked the seats in 1998 and it made all the difference in the world for my 6'-1" frame. I was quite cramped in my old 1990 but have plenty of room to spare in my 2001.

What year was that? They stretched the regular cab by 2" and reworked the seats in 1998 and it made all the difference in the world for my 6'-1" frame. I was quite cramped in my old 1990 but have plenty of room to spare in my 2001.

My old man use to work at the Edison plant and I couldnt fit into a standard cab ranger either at 62. Might needed a seat adjustment-but how far back can you go with a bench seat?!

This was after the redesign. Even a super cab Ranger isnt the best.

My old man use to work at the Edison plant and I couldnt fit into a standard cab ranger either at 62. Might needed a seat adjustment-but how far back can you go with a bench seat?!

This was after the redesign. Even a super cab Ranger isnt the best.

My 2001 XLT doesn't have a bench - it's 60/40 split buckets. It's not the roomiest thing I've ever driven, but a far cry better than the earlier ranger. In my 2011 ext cab, I can push the seat back far enough to make using the clutch difficult at my 6'-1" height. Of course there's not room for much of anything behind the seat at that point, let alone use of the rear seat.

Didn't we see similar sticker shock with new F150s when people started working the configurator?

Pretty sure that Ford will price Ranger trims and options to be competitive with Tacoma V6.

GM has a $20K Colorado entry special but I doubt many people actually buy it.

I'll follow up with this bit about pricing:

Going by the window sticker on my 2011, an extended cab 2wd XLT with the power windows and locks and alloy wheels MSRP'd at about $21.5k with the base engine and transmission. Add $1200 for the optional 210 hp V6 (which is now blown away by the standard ~300 hp 2.3eb) and $1000 for the auto trans and you'd be at approximately $24k in 2011. Add 1.5% inflation over 8 years and that's $27k, which is about exactly what a 2019 2wd XL with power equipment group and alloy wheels goes for.

As JPD notes, what's missing is a stripped, non-ecoboost 4 banger with a manual trans at $20k, like GM offers. I would like to see Ford offer that, but it appears they won't, at least at first. The parts, engineering, and production capacity for such a model does exist in ROW, so it's not inconceivable that it becomes available here when the revised truck debuts in a couple years. Especially if Ford thinks there's a healthy fleet market for such a truck.

I doubt Ford sells many of the 2019s to fleets because they'll consider the ecoboost powertrain to be unusual and unnecessary for a fleet truck and the GM offering is significantly cheaper.

Edited by Sevensecondsuv
  • Like 1

IIRC, GM actually started off Colorado/Canyon production with the intent to grow retail sales first and foremost.

It was then that it realized that most buyers actually wanted crew cabs and maybe a few super/extra cabs and

hardly any single cabs, the latter being a huge change for what was traditionally bout back in the 1990s and 2000s.

Edited by jpd80

Look, Ranger MSRP pretty much shadows Tacoma like I predicted 6 months ago. Except Ranger XL/STX and XLT has something like 100 more hp than the 4 cylinder Tacoma SR and SR5.

If you think Ranger is too expensive, Ford doesn't want (or need) your business. Toyota has no problem selling Tacoma at near MSRP all day long in California and that's where Ford wants to play with the new Ranger.

Best selling vehicles in California (source is LA Times) http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-cars-trucks-california-20180823-story.html

Through June

1. Honda Civic 43,857

2. Toyota Camry 31,496

3. Honda Accord 28,201

4. Ford F Series 26,336

5. Toyota Corolla 25,911

6. Toyota RAV4 25,547

7. Toyota Tacoma 21,206

8. Honda CR-V 21,062

9. Chevy Silverado 20,628

10. Nissan Sentra 19,552

And the vast majority of the Tacoma sold here on the West Coast are bro'd out V6 TRD Sport or TRD Offroad. Not the cheap SR or SR5 work trucks. This is what Ford is going after... the fat profits that Toyota is churning on Tacoma. Not the $20k fleet special that Chevy has with Colorado. Ford is happy to take the fleet business away from GM too (and they will because Ford is the dominate truck fleet sale king) but GM is truly not Ford's concern. Ranger is all about getting in on the Tacoma retail profits and taking Toyota down a peg.

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 2

I'll follow up with this bit about pricing:

Going by the window sticker on my 2011, an extended cab 2wd XLT with the power windows and locks and alloy wheels MSRP'd at about $21.5k with the base engine and transmission. Add $1200 for the optional 210 hp V6 (which is now blown away by the standard ~300 hp 2.3eb) and $1000 for the auto trans and you'd be at approximately $24k in 2011. Add 1.5% inflation over 8 years and that's $27k, which is about exactly what a 2019 2wd XL with power equipment group and alloy wheels goes for.

As JPD notes, what's missing is a stripped, non-ecoboost 4 banger with a manual trans at $20k, like GM offers. I would like to see Ford offer that, but it appears they won't, at least at first. The parts, engineering, and production capacity for such a model does exist in ROW, so it's not inconceivable that it becomes available here when the revised truck debuts in a couple years. Especially if Ford thinks there's a healthy fleet market for such a truck.

I doubt Ford sells many of the 2019s to fleets because they'll consider the ecoboost powertrain to be unusual and unnecessary for a fleet truck and the GM offering is significantly cheaper.

If they ever do decide to do a XL fleet special it most certainly will NOT have an EcoBoost. Ford has always used the EcoBoost as a premium upgrade. I would think a fleet special would get a version of the 2.5 NA or possibly the 3.3 V6.

sevenseconds….oh yes they will....but most likely for company vehicles...gardeners, Pool service...everything you see base Tacomas doing...EVERYWHERE,,moreso come 2020 when I have notion after the re-do that the truck will have more than one drivetrain.

Edited by Deanh

If they ever do decide to do a XL fleet special it most certainly will NOT have an EcoBoost. Ford has always used the EcoBoost as a premium upgrade. I would think a fleet special would get a version of the 2.5 NA or possibly the 3.3 V6.

Not on this product cycle (next three years)

the 2.3 EB will most likely be around 300 HP and comparable to the Tacoma V6.

Edited by jpd80

sevenseconds.oh yes they will....but most likely for company vehicles...gardeners, Pool service...everything you see base Tacomas doing...EVERYWHERE,,moreso come 2020 when I have notion after the re-do that the truck will have more than one drivetrain.

Ive never seen a Tacoma used as a fleet vehicle. When the old ranger went away, everyone just switched to f150s around here. I dont know how fleet vehicles are priced but theres a 3k difference msrp between the xl ranger and the xl f150 . With incentives, that difference might be even smaller. I wonder if companies have grown accustomed to the larger size of the f150 and would find it harder to go down in size for a similar price?

My company uses Tacomas as fleet vehicles. They are expensive and it requires us to get the SR5 to get the tow package. We are already reviewing if a Ranger will work because of our CPA dollars from Ford. I priced a 4x2 XL with tow package and the MSRP alone is about $2k less than we pay today for Tacomas and I would think our CPA dollars will be about $3000...and we usually get that off invoice. We look to save about $5-6K. However, we do sell Tacomas with 300K miles at $7500...not sure if we can do that with Rangers. We'll see.

As a side note...I am currently in a Fusion Titanium and priced a XLT Sport Ranger to replace it...hate the ground clearance of the Fusion when driving interstate highways. Too many obstacles to run over.

• Like 3

And the vast majority of the Tacoma sold here on the West Coast are bro'd out V6 TRD Sport or TRD Offroad. Not the cheap SR or SR5 work trucks. This is what Ford is going after... the fat profits that Toyota is churning on Tacoma. Not the $20k fleet special that Chevy has with Colorado. Ford is happy to take the fleet business away from GM too (and they will because Ford is the dominate truck fleet sale king) but GM is truly not Ford's concern. Ranger is all about getting in on the Tacoma retail profits and taking Toyota down a peg.

Same situation with Toyota Tacoma sales in Texas. V6 TRD Sport, TRD Offroad, and Limited models are much more popular than the base SR and SR5 models. Toyota of Fort Worth has no difficulty selling $40k+ Tacoma Limiteds with few discounts.

Ford's and Toyota's strategy is the right one. The market in the U.S. for midsize pickup trucks with lots of amenities is strong.

a3d8be31e8a54246880cad6b7434ea00.jpg

Edited by rperez817

The Tacoma sells twice as much as the Colorado. The Colorado sells about the same as the frontier. The ranger is a better truck all around then both of those and looks better as well. I like the Tacoma styling but the ranger looks much more refined when you see pics of them next to each other.

Id imagine it will sell right up there with Tacoma

The Tacoma sells twice as much as the Colorado. The Colorado sells about the same as the frontier. The ranger is a better truck all around then both of those and looks better as well. I like the Tacoma styling but the ranger looks much more refined when you see pics of them next to each other.

Id imagine it will sell right up there with Tacoma

Im not saying the Ranger is bad, but at the same time, how much market can it really take without taking it away from other Ford products?

I can see 100k or so- but I dont see them selling 175k+ a year or over taking Tacoma sales anytime soon.