2018 Ford Mustang Cobra Jet is ready for the drag strip

My point is that a road going CJ (if they were offer such a thing) should retain the solid axle. The only people who would buy a road going CJ would want to take it to the strip. The IRS has been the weak link for drag racing S550 Mustangs and the guys who are serious would relish a solid axle.

The GT 350 is worthless for drag racing. That is just not its forte and wasn't meant to be. The GT 500 should be the hot ticket for weekend warriors at the dragstrip, assuming they come with beefed up halfshafts and reworked IRS to eliminate the wheelhop for which S550 Mustangs are notorious.

My point is that a road going CJ (if they were offer such a thing) should retain the solid axle. The only people who would buy a road going CJ would want to take it to the strip. The IRS has been the weak link for drag racing S550 Mustangs and the guys who are serious would relish a solid axle.

The GT 350 is worthless for drag racing. That is just not its forte and wasn't meant to be. The GT 500 should be the hot ticket for weekend warriors at the dragstrip, assuming they come with beefed up halfshafts and reworked IRS to eliminate the wheelhop for which S550 Mustangs are notorious.

Just dreaming here but what if the GT500 became the straight line star and left the road racing to the GT350? Think of the weight Ford could save with a proper SRA and carbon fiber drive shaft.

If you think about it most muscle car guys go for straightline blasts on freeway on ramps and lonesome roads. It’s pretty hard to road race in today’s public road environment. Dodge hit exactly the correct and underserved market when it decided to build the Demon.

A straightline GT500 with a stick axle could benefit directly from the Cobra Jet drag racing program.

As a matter of fact why don’t they just drop the GT500 name and just call this hypocritical road legal version the Cobra Jet as well? The “Cobra Jet” name evokes more of a visceral feeling than simply GT500 anyways. Probably for all muscle car fans not just Ford people.

If you think about it most muscle car guys go for straightline blasts on freeway on ramps and lonesome roads. Its pretty hard to road race in todays public road environment. Dodge hit exactly the correct and underserved market when it decided to build the Demon.

As a matter of fact why dont they just drop the GT500 name and just call this hypocritical road legal version the Cobra Jet as well? The Cobra Jet name evokes more of a visceral feeling than simply GT500 anyways. Probably for all muscle car fans not just Ford people.

Or just a street Cobra Jet, the GT500 and 350 can have the curves and luxury, the CJ can have an SRA, built-in roll cage, optional passenger seats and optional A/C.

We know that since the return of the CJ in 2008, Ford has been doing 50 or so of these off road drag specials

but Ford hasn't shown any interest in doing an on road version of the Cobra Jet.

I feel like I've opened Pandora's box. on this one without fully understanding what

would be considered essential with a road going version of the Cobra Jet drag special.

The changes needed and the cost to do it including full field validation probably goes

way beyond anything Ford would entertain.

While an SRA set up would be ideal for drag racing, I see that BMR Suspensions have done

some good work on bushes and links for improving the hook upof IRS and eliminating wheel hop.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/chassis-suspension/1602-s550-tech-bmr-suspension-takes-the-slack-out-of-irs/

While an SRA set up would be ideal for drag racing, I see that BMR Suspensions have done

some good work on bushes and links for improving the hook upof IRS and eliminating wheel hop.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/chassis-suspension/1602-s550-tech-bmr-suspension-takes-the-slack-out-of-irs/

There are aftermarket solutions for wheel hop from BMR and Steeda among others and I have used some of their stuff. However, to fully stop the hop, the parts and pieces increase NVH to the point of making the car nearly unsuitable for daily driving and much worse than old stick axle Mustangs. Then, if much power is added or if you are using sticky tires, upgraded half-shafts are absolutely necessary. The 2018s are better at controlling hop than the 15-17 models, especially on models with the performance package. I suspect the GT500 will be much better yet.

There are aftermarket solutions for wheel hop from BMR and Steeda among others and I have used some of their stuff. However, to fully stop the hop, the parts and pieces increase NVH to the point of making the car nearly unsuitable for daily driving and much worse than old stick axle Mustangs. Then, if much power is added or if you are using sticky tires, upgraded half-shafts are absolutely necessary. The 2018s are better at controlling hop than the 15-17 models, especially on models with the performance package. I suspect the GT500 will be much better yet.

Well that is to be hoped because the original IRS was a borrow from the CD4 program

If GT500 has that massive torque and hinted 760 hp, the IRS is going to need serious

rework with stronger half shafts, links and bushes. Throwing nearly double the power

through the same rear axle and suspension isn't going to fly...

A similar situation happened with the S/C Falcons in 2010, over there, Ford was forced

to re-engineer the rear with stronger axles, better bushes and links to control the huge

increase of power and torque. Those Miami engines were so under rated but produced

up to 460 hp at the rear wheels with full warranty.

Edited by jpd80

Agree....at least I certainly hope you are right. Ford knows that the current suspension tuning and half-shafts will not tolerate the kind of power the GT500 will have. They also have the resources to tame the IRS without causing the NVH that the band-aids from BMR and Steeda cause.

Dodge sells every Demon they build and so far I think it’s over 8000 3300.

This is the same kind of thinking that got Ford behind the Tacoma and Colorado midi-trucks.

They’re throwing money away.

Fixed that for you. They no longer make the Demon, as it was a short run niche car. Comparing that to trucks is apples to oranges.

Fixed that for you. They no longer make the Demon, as it was a short run niche car. Comparing that to trucks is apples to oranges.

Not comparing products I’m comparing flawed thinking.

If the run of Demons is over they have replaced them with Hellcat Redeye. I’m sure this was a move to capitalize on this market with a product they can mass produce.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...