Mach 1 mule?

I'm pretty sure this is just the new Escape, perhaps the 7 seat version. MACH 1 wouldn't have such a long hood.

2020-ford-mach-1-ev-crossover-06-1.jpg

Edit: on further review, it looks like this car is a real test mule, not a prototype. We've already seen the Escape prototype... it looks different. See below.

escapephev03-1.jpg

Now go back to the mule (first photo). Notice the long gap between the front wheel fender and the door. It suggests the car does not have typical FWD proportions. And the little black triangle by the A-pillar is from the current Escape, not the new one. So it has a different chassis (not C2) and has bodywork cobbled together from existing vehicle. It's plausible that this is a MACH1 mule... we know it won't have an engine in the front so the long hood is probably fake. But the placement of the front wheels gives it away... this is definitely not a C2 vehicle.

You can get a good look at the long gap between front wheels and the door here

2020-ford-mach-1-ev-crossover-04-1.jpg

And the cobbled together body works here (meaning it is a mule, not a prototype)

2020-ford-mach-1-ev-crossover-10-1.jpg

Edited by bzcat

I've never really known Ford prototypes to go to such lengths to hide an EV by installing a fake tailpipe and Diesel Only stickers. But, it's hard to ignore the huge compartment hanging underneath which is consistent with the large battery sled only the C-EV has. And there is no Ford vehicle which places the tailpipe above the lower control arm...so that's quite obviously fake. You can however see the C2 suspension back there which is very distinctive. I suspect the shielding underneath is just hacked together to block our view. Not to mention this vehicle has those extra large regenerative disc brakes and low resistance tires.

As has been noted, this has been stretched at the front and back, which also means this probably isn't an early 2020 Escape test mule. The lengthened wheelbase does evoke the Mach1 mockups so...I think this is it. We were due to see some activity on this vehicle anyway.

If I were Ford, I would not be trying to hide that they are working on an EV...but I guess you also don't want people to think this monstrosity is it.

BTW, one of the advances Ford is making with its battery is to make the cells modular so it's repairable, something Tesla (and everybody else) isn't.

Edited by Assimilator

It certainly could be it, it's called project Menlo for the Mach1 and I'm going to guess this is just a test bed. Explorer (and other Fords) are also getting a version with Sync 4. There are allot of hands on project Menlo right now, I've seen photos of it everywhere. I even saw it photographed at a Ford EV press event, granted it was a table-top display tester but it revealed the UI and size.

And indeed, Ford is exiting the "MAV" market which has converted to Crossovers so I don't expect a sequel to S-Max.

Edited by Assimilator

What interior is this out of? Id venture a guess and say the Escape.

Chinese Kuga from what they posted at FIN where I got it from.

---

Either way, I really hope it's better integrated than that in new designs - that looks terrible.

Edited by rmc523

We had those chopped up Everests a while back.

and nobody was able to get a picture of those published either.

Assuming they are on track for a late 2019 launch we should hypothetically start seeing Bronco mules soon. I work with a guy who has a friend at the pilot plant, they havent seen any yet.

If this is not Model E / MACH 1 then it must be the Transit Connect / Autonomous vehicle mule.

Could it be a new version of C-Max?

C-Max is dead. Baby Bronco will take its place.

Grand C-Max will most likely be replaced by a 3-row compact C2 utility but we haven't seen it yet either.

If this is not Model E / MACH 1 then it must be the Transit Connect / Autonomous vehicle mule.

C-Max is dead. Baby Bronco will take its place.

Grand C-Max will most likely be replaced by a 3-row compact C2 utility but we haven't seen it yet either.

I know that, I'm wondering if the names live on especially the mule captured is in fact a hybrid / EV.

Edited by jpd80