Focus Active Canceled!

Assimilator

If expected volume was really only 50k a year why was it such a problem they HAD to move it from Mexico? Its Hackett and his 6 month revolving door of new plans. Sorry jcartwright. I know Im jaded but this wouldnt be necessary if the plan didnt keep changing every 6 goddamn months.

Im really starting to wonder if Fords product development on the car end was completely fucked up after Mually left and when Hackett came aboard people where CYAing the situation-thus the poor/complete lack or direction Ford has of late.

Its like no one really thought about what happened after 2015-16 when it came to the vast majority of Ford products and the accouncents of other products where just camouflaging that.

Does it really matter that the US bound Chinese Focus got canned? It's not like they invested much capital or that anyone expected it to be a large volume seller.

I was very critical of Ford's decision to make what was a major name plate (Focus) in China and sell it in the U.S. But when I found out it was going to merely be a special edition with body cladding it became evident that Focus was going to be a low volume niche vehicle in the US.

I despise Trump, but I think its good he his addressing the Chinese Trade Deficit, i just don't have faith that his people know what they are doing. The whole NAFTA disruption was unnecessary and only resulted in tweaks that really change little - though the trade deficit with Canada and Mexico is not the problem. As to Ford, the bigger problem for them with the Chinese Trade Battle is not the Focus Active but their exports to China and possible Chinese retaliation against U.S. operations in China.

It is GM that is going to be slammed if things go poorly in China.

Edited by Fordowner

They can easily make Focus Active in Mexico once the new platform launches for the utilities. They just can’t do it right away.

Fields cancelled the new Mexican plant, not Hackett. And then expanded Flat Rock for new vehicles. It’s absolutely more expensive for Ford to ship vehicles from China than to build them here. They just didn’t have a good alternative without a new plant.

• Like 1

They can easily make Focus Active in Mexico once the new platform launches for the utilities. They just can’t do it right away.

Fields cancelled the new Mexican plant, not Hackett. And then expanded Flat Rock for new vehicles. It’s absolutely more expensive for Ford to ship vehicles from China than to build them here. They just didn’t have a good alternative without a new plant.

Why can't they make it in the US?

Laughable that many consider this to be Hackett's fault.

Reactions from auto analysts:

"Analysts agreed that this action by Ford is a preview of a changing landscape.“ This is just the first of many vehicles that come from China today or will be coming from China that will be eliminated from the U.S. market,” said Sullivan, the AutoPacific analyst. "This really presents an issue with trying to assemble vehicles in North America with a cap in Mexican automotive exports to the U.S.” under a new, preliminary U.S.-Mexico agreement announced earlier this week."

"Meanwhile, automakers will continue pulling vehicles planned for America as a result of the tariff fight, predicted Kristin Dziczek, vice president of industry, labor and economics at the Center for Automotive Research in Ann Arbor.“ This is the first of potentially many vehicles that will disappear from the U.S. market,” she said. “The threat or the imposition of a 20 to 25 percent tariff — a high tariff — will limit consumer choices and rise prices in the U.S.,” she said. Forty-eight percent of the vehicles sold in the U.S. were imported in 2017, Dziczek said. " Potentially a large proportion of those vehicles could be subject to Trumps’s tariffs. The vehicles in the U.S. have roughly 50 to 60 percent U.S. content. All of that imported content could be subject to tariffs as well; even a U.S. vehicle made in the U.S. and sold the U.S. will see prices rise due to imported content subject to tariff."

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/2018/08/31/citing-trade-war-ford-cancels-plan-import-small-suv-china/1156427002/

They can easily make Focus Active in Mexico once the new platform launches for the utilities. They just cant do it right away.

Fields cancelled the new Mexican plant, not Hackett. And then expanded Flat Rock for new vehicles. Its absolutely more expensive for Ford to ship vehicles from China than to build them here. They just didnt have a good alternative without a new plant.

True but it was Hackett who moved the Focus from Hermosillo to China. Edited by fuzzymoomoo

I'm with POTUS on this one and no apologies. The trade deficit must be addressed. The big picture is far more important than Ford's mistakes. The Chinese are not our friends. The Japanese and Koreans build and sell smaller vehicles in the USA. Chevy builds and sells smaller vehicles in the USA. It looks bad that Ford can't figure out how to design and present a smaller vehicle that people will want in enough volume that will allow it to be sold at a profit in the USA.

Well I'm not. no one wins in a trade war, and Ford, and the UAW, are already getting hammered in (more) political forums, by the usual non auto industry employee crowd, complaining that this further puts new cars out of their grasp, to the benefit of more highly paid hourly & salaried Ford workers. Doesn't matter one iota that the union had exactly zip to do with this decision, and that this was never going to be a big seller anyway.

In the meantime, my industrial sales organization is going through our second round - SECOND freaking round already - of price hikes and surcharges, due to steel and aluminum prices going up. Our product line is 95% plus American made, and the net result is customers are postponing or canceling orders if existing equipment can be repairs or jury-rigged to continue to work. And a full third of our customers are Tier One & Tier Two auto parts suppliers.

So, no. I'm not with the administration or any of their supporters on this. Not one damn bit.

• Like 1

The president asked Ford to move the plants back to the US and Ford said they were going to I thought. Now they are complaining about the tariffs because they didn't do what they said they would do.

Ford’s not complaining about the tariffs - they’re just saying they can’t make money on one vehicle imported from China. That’s not complaining, that’s just business. They can eventually build it in NA.

And they are doing exactly what they said they would do - they’re expanding Flat Rock instead of building a new plant in Mexico.

Well I'm not. no one wins in a trade war, and Ford, and the UAW, are already getting hammered in (more) political forums, by the usual non auto industry employee crowd, complaining that this further puts new cars out of their grasp, to the benefit of more highly paid hourly & salaried Ford workers. Doesn't matter one iota that the union had exactly zip to do with this decision, and that this was never going to be a big seller anyway.

In the meantime, my industrial sales organization is going through our second round - SECOND freaking round already - of price hikes and surcharges, due to steel and aluminum prices going up. Our product line is 95% plus American made, and the net result is customers are postponing or canceling orders if existing equipment can be repairs or jury-rigged to continue to work. And a full third of our customers are Tier One & Tier Two auto parts suppliers.

So, no. I'm not with the administration or any of their supporters on this. Not one damn bit.

Fair enough -Now tell us how to solve the 600 billion annual trade deficit without it hurting a little...

And don't tell me printing money to plug the hole as we have been doing for decades (kicking the can down the road) is the solution.

I have heard many complain, but I have not heard one single solution to the trade deficit. Your turn!

I dont think so. That decision was made when they decided to put Ranger and Bronco at MAP.

Youre rewriting history now. When the decision to build Ranger and Bronco at MAP the new plant in Mexico was being planned and built.

MAP has nothing to do with the decision to move Focus Active from Hermosillo to China.

Youre rewriting history now. When the decision to build Ranger and Bronco at MAP the new plant in Mexico was being planned and built.

MAP has nothing to do with the decision to move Focus Active from Hermosillo to China.

If they weren’t using MAP for Ranger/Bronco they’d still be building Focus there, so it does have a lot to do with it.

The new plant in Mexico was never going to be ready before they had to move Focus out of MAP and there was no capacity at Hermosillo.

I know they toyed with building Focus and Fusion at Hermosillo but without the new factory there just isn’t enough capacity to build Focus here yet until they convert both Mexican plants to C2.

If they werent using MAP for Ranger/Bronco theyd still be building Focus there, so it does have a lot to do with it.

The new plant in Mexico was never going to be ready before they had to move Focus out of MAP and there was no capacity at Hermosillo.

I know they toyed with building Focus and Fusion at Hermosillo but without the new factory there just isnt enough capacity to build Focus here yet until they convert both Mexican plants to C2.

ok fine then, move it back into Wayne Assembly where it originally was built
  • Like 1