Should I order the HD trailer-towing package?

swedejohannson

I plan to place an order for a loaded 2019 Reserve (Dark/Rhapsody Blue and Tan/Cappucino interior; 2nd-row pass through). We are coming off a lease of an Escalade and very impressed with the Navigator. It is for my wife and we need the size for our kids, carpools, and when we go on vacation with our 70+lbs. dog.

Luckily, I have access to "X-Plan" pricing through work, as there doesn't seem to be other discounts.

We don't really tow much but was thinking the trailer-towing package could be good to have just in case (although $1,900 is a bit expensive for "just
in case").

Any thoughts from the forum?

Thanks in advance!

I totally recommend getting it if you even think of towing in the future. I ordered it for my folks because they are keeping dads new f150 for a long time and no telling what he may need it for in the future. Its not cost effective to try and add a factory package later, plus its never a bad thing to have extra coolers and heavier duty anything on a vehicle of that size thats designed to haul stuff.

• Like 1

I also looked at the $1900 it would cost and decided that since I already have a diesel Ram, that would be our tow vehicle and not the Nav. We instead put the $$$$ into the massage seats :wub: However if you do not have something to tow with you should consider it. I read where it has a camera to line up the hitch. I'm guessing it would also have an extra transmission cooler.

At the pricing level for a 2019 Navigator Reserve it would seem that the extra cost of the HD Trailer Tow Package would be a small investment. The extra investment now can't hurt should your towing needs change in the future and it's a good option to have for resale if you're buying the vehicle. It can only help down the road and the package content is worth the price now for resale.

I bought a 2018 in July with plans to tow. Finding one with the tow package was pretty hard compared to finding one without it. My sense is that not too many people plan to tow with this truck because dealers were not ordering many with the tow package. so, for resale, who knows? For 2018 anyway, the package was an eLSD, bigger radiator, backup assist, brake controller, and two speed transfer case. No extra cooling for the transmission, I believe.

I agree with the resale value comments but more with the beefier radiator and 2 speed transfer case. I got the tow package mainly for those two reasons. I do tow with mine but its a small utility trailer and I use it a few times a year with no serious weight. I will say the back up assist feature makes me look like a seasoned trailer backing professional once I got the hang of it.

If there is any possibility you will tow with your Navigator, you should absolutely get the tow package. One feature not mentioned yet is sway control.

This does not eliminate trailer sway, but can be an early warning of a very dangerous situation, giving you the opportunity to correct the situation before

disaster. In addition to the items mentioned above, without the package, you may find you will have to acquire several items that are included. This might be

one or more fuses to activate circuits needed for proper towing.

I started a thread a few months ago to get input on weight distribution hitches, something the manual requires for trailers over 6000 lbs. Since my previous vehicles

didn't need it, I had no experience with this type of hitch. I can assure you if your tongue weight nears 600lbs or more you need the weight distribution hitch.

My tow package is toward the upper limit of the reserve Navigator. With the weight distribution properly adjusted it tows beautifully, I couldn't be happier.

Cheers