White eroded plugs, stuck plug, and part question

Just bought a '11 Crown Vic w/ 270k miles a couple months ago and finally got around to replacing the plugs today. They all looked like this..

mv63ijj.jpg

eZtpY1W.jpg

All with heavy white deposits as well as both top and bottom electrodes eroded. Gap on these should be 41-47 and they were measuring about 80. So first question is what do the white deposits and eroded electrodes indicate?

Everything was going well until I get to the last plug in cyl 4, all the way back on the left. Thing was/is in crazy tight. After cranking back and forth for a while the best I could get out of it was 1/8 turn. It moves fairly easily within that limit but comes to a dead stop at the ends of the turn. What could have caused something like this? I think the mechanics taking care of it before me were hacks. Car started out as a police vehicle then was a cab before I got it.

My only idea is to heat the engine up and see if it'll twist out. Although I'd have to be careful as I'm sure hot threads would strip easily. Not really sure if that'd be a good idea.

Any advice on how to proceed here?

And last I broke a tiny clip at the end of the tube in the bottom center of this pic and have to replace it now...

r4I9fSh.jpg

I think it's part of the evap system but not sure. Anybody know what it's called, part number, or how I would search for it on ebay?

The erosion is normal. Those plugs are quite old. The white is oil. Don't be concerned with it, judging by the wear. All modular engines have low tension piston rings, slightly hokey PCV vapor separators and high mile ones can start to have valve stem seal issues. I still wouldn't be concerned, AT ALL.

As for the stuck one, you might be in trouble. Blow the hole out with compressed air, start the engine and get it HOT. Then *soak* with carb cleaner or your favorite panther piss and let sit. Start it again and get it HOT again, then Try and move it again. If it doesn't move by working it back and forth, it probably has galled the threads and will probably need a plug insert. I recommend TIME SERT's "big sert" kit, P/N 5553. It's pricey, but the best repair. There are other ones out there though that are more cost effective. Just DO NOT use the one that takes a 3 valve plug. Total junk.

As for the EVAP line, I think most parts stores carry the clip in their "HELP!" line. If not, you can run a zip tie through all four holes where the clip used to be and zip it down. It will hold if you do it right. There is rarely pressure there, it runs in vacuum and won't blow off.

And it's bugging me: Fix the heater hose that is twisted to hell.

• Like 1

The erosion is normal. Those plugs are quite old. The white is oil. Don't be concerned with it, judging by the wear. All modular engines have low tension piston rings, slightly hokey PCV vapor separators and high mile ones can start to have valve stem seal issues. I still wouldn't be concerned, AT ALL.

As for the stuck one, you might be in trouble. Blow the hole out with compressed air, start the engine and get it HOT. Then *soak* with carb cleaner or your favorite panther piss and let sit. Start it again and get it HOT again, then Try and move it again. If it doesn't move by working it back and forth, it probably has galled the threads and will probably need a plug insert. I recommend TIME SERT's "big sert" kit, P/N 5553. It's pricey, but the best repair. There are other ones out there though that are more cost effective. Just DO NOT use the one that takes a 3 valve plug. Total junk.

As for the EVAP line, I think most parts stores carry the clip in their "HELP!" line. If not, you can run a zip tie through all four holes where the clip used to be and zip it down. It will hold if you do it right. There is rarely pressure there, it runs in vacuum and won't blow off.

And it's bugging me: Fix the heater hose that is twisted to hell.

I literally laughed out loud at that one for a few reasons...

1.) My dad used to use that phrase all the time (mostly to describe beer he did not like)

2.) The Panther Mafia will now be putting a hex on you for using the term Panther Piss while the OP was talking about a Crown Victoria

3.) The twisted heater hose has me twisted too...lol

Edited by twintornados
  • Like 1