Ford 2018-19 auto show debut speculations

Disclaimer: this topic is entirely speculation.

LA Auto show 5 weeks away so let's start the speculation on what we might see in terms of auto show debuts.

Here are the all new or significantly updated models that should be coming in the next 24 months:

1. 2020 Explorer (Job 1 May 2019)

2. 2020 Aviator (Job 1 May 2019) - note: the "concept" was revealed at Beijing 2018 so technically the production version has not yet been reveled but there are no surprises here... production will be identical to the concept

3. 2020 Escape (Job 1 August 2019)

4. 2020 Corsair (Job 1 August 2019)

5. 2020(?) Bronco

6. 2020 MACH 1 (or whatever the first Model E is supposed to be called)

7. 2020 Transit (US spec)

8. 2021 Mustang GT500

9. 2021 Baby Bronco (aka Maverick)

10. 2021 (2020?) F-150

11. 2021 Autonomous fleet vehicle

Products already revealed but not yet on sale: Transit Connect, Ranger, Territory (China)

Here are the relevant dates for the 2018/19 season auto show circuits:

1. Los Angeles - Nov 2018

2. Detroit - Jan 2019

3. CES Las Vegas - Jan 2019

3. Chicago - Feb 2019

4. Geneva - March 2019

5. New York - April 2019

6. Shanghai - April 2019

7. Frankfurt - Sept 2019

8. State Fair of Texas - Sept 2019

10. Tokyo - Nov 2019

11. Los Angeles - Nov 2019

So make your best guess at which auto show we are likely to see what product debut.

My guess:

1. Los Angeles - Nov 2018: Escape + Aviator

2. Detroit - Jan 2019: GT500 + Explorer

3. CES Las Vegas - Jan 2019: MACH 1

3. Chicago - Feb 2019: Transit

4. Geneva - March 2019: n/a

5. New York - April 2019: Bronco + Autonomous fleet vehicle

6. Shanghai - April 2019: Corsair

7. Frankfurt - Sept 2019: Baby Bronco

8. State Fair of Texas - Sept 2019: F-150

10. Tokyo - Nov 2019: n/a

11. Los Angeles - Nov 2019: F-150 hybrid

Edited by bzcat
  • Thanks 1

I dont think Ford would show off the Bronco at the NYAIS-they normally show Lincolns off there and its not really the target market? I also dont think we will see the production Escape this month either.

Since the Explorer is just about completely shown off anyway as the PIU, why not show it off at the LA auto show instead of Detroit? It goes into production in about 6 months too.

I think the Bronco and GT500 unveiling at Detroit would make the most sense since both products are Ford DNA vehicles and play off each other well. One is a brand new product and the other is a new version of a historic nameplate.

Edited by silvrsvt

The question is will they hold intros back until the NAIAS (which starting the following year get pushed back to May ?)

I thought it was June? Anyways-it shows how little influence auto shows are having due to the internet/social media. I have a feeling they devolve back into a dealership thing were you can see the cars up close.

GT500 will probably be shown at SEMA

2020 Superduty will probably be at Texas next year.

Maybe a Bronco concept will be Detroit to keep some relevance of the show this year, would also give people what to expect from the Bronco. Would also fit with a concept for a year then show production, then 8 months until production.

I also suspect some of these new vehicles are going to be shown off in non-traditional ways.

"2. 2020 Aviator (Job 1 May 2019) - note: the "concept" was revealed at Beijing 2018 so technically the production version has not yet been reveled but there are no surprises here... production will be identical to the concept" Actually the Aviator debuted in New York....I should know, I was there! ;)

New York is always a Lincoln show, and this years schedule is end of March so the production Corsair will definitely debut there as you mentioned the Job 1 is Aug.

With Ford teasing the Explorer Interceptor many times already and the order guide being out too, I would have thought they'd shown the consumer version already..the current Explorer debuted way back outside of the auto show circuit, in numerous cities in live events...I was hoping they'd do that again but I guess it will be LA or Detroit...which ever it is, expect the Aviator to not share the same debut venue of course.

I dont think Ford would show off the Bronco at the NYAIS-they normally show Lincolns off there and its not really the target market? I also dont think we will see the production Escape this month either.

Since the Explorer is just about completely shown off anyway as the PIU, why not show it off at the LA auto show instead of Detroit? It goes into production in about 6 months too.

I think the Bronco and GT500 unveiling at Detroit would make the most sense since both products are Ford DNA vehicles and play off each other well. One is a brand new product and the other is a new version of a historic nameplate.

They could also theoretically show Explorer at Chicago since it's built there. I definitely think we'll see Aviator first before Explorer - help Lincoln work on the "tarted up Ford" image.

Disclaimer: this topic is entirely speculation.

LA Auto show 5 weeks away so let's start the speculation on what we might see in terms of auto show debuts.

Here are the all new or significantly updated models that should be coming in the next 24 months:

1. 2020 Explorer (Job 1 May 2019)

2. 2020 Aviator (Job 1 May 2019) - note: the "concept" was revealed at Beijing 2018 so technically the production version has not yet been reveled but there are no surprises here... production will be identical to the concept

3. 2020 Escape (Job 1 August 2019)

4. 2020 Corsair (Job 1 August 2019)

5. 2020(?) Bronco

6. 2020 MACH 1 (or whatever the first Model E is supposed to be called)

7. 2020 Transit (US spec)

8. 2021 Mustang GT500

9. 2021 Baby Bronco (aka Maverick)

10. 2021 (2020?) F-150

11. 2021 Autonomous fleet vehicle

So make your best guess at which auto show we are likely to see what product debut.

My guess:

1. Los Angeles - Nov 2018: Escape + Aviator

2. Detroit - Jan 2019: GT500 + Explorer

3. CES Las Vegas - Jan 2019: MACH 1

3. Chicago - Feb 2019: Transit

4. Geneva - March 2019: n/a

5. New York - April 2019: Bronco + Autonomous fleet vehicle

6. Shanghai - April 2019: Corsair

7. Frankfurt - Sept 2019: Baby Bronco

8. State Fair of Texas - Sept 2019: F-150

10. Tokyo - Nov 2019: n/a

11. Los Angeles - Nov 2019: F-150 hybrid

1. LA - Aviator; Escape?

2. Detroit - GT500; Bronco "Concept" (or "preview")

3. CES - "Mach 1" (concept or production?); AV model?

4. Chicago - Explorer; Escape? (if they want a 1-2 crossover punch?)

5. Geneva - Kuga (Euro Escape)

6. NY - Corsair

7. Shanghai - Corsair & Aviator China debut

8. Frankfurt - Kuga (Euro Escape)

9. TX - F-150 & F-150 hybrid - they've made a big deal over the hybrid, there'd be no reason to not debut the biggest news of the redesign with it.

10. Tokyo - Irrelevant to Ford

11. LA 2019 - Maverick? - I think it's too early to debut this product this season (2018).

I think Transit refresh is shown on it's own, not at a show.

----

I was torn on where to put Escape. I could see either it or Explorer having their own event....with all this product set to debut, they may not want to overshadow the at-show debuts of Aviator or Explorer; the 2011 Explorer debuted at its own event as well.

Next year, I could also see production Bronco and Maverick at the same show.

At some point between now and April, I feel they at least need to show off the concept of Mach 1 or AV as they need to show investors the new direction they are going, and they need to know soon how much resistance they may get from the public. The stock market won't let them off the hook until they show some of their cards on this one as Ford keeps talking about it and not show anything concrete. Henry Ford himself said that you can't build a repuatation on something you say you're going to do.

Bronco is a problem. As this is a concrete product plan that seems to never happen, they at least need to make clear when this will happen. Do not show anything if it is more than 12 months away. Don't even pull a Bumblebee/Camaro move like they already did with the old Bronco concept in that Rampage film. Don't make people drool over a car that wont appear in four years, especially after waiting almost four already.

Explorer is a given. They will show this in full glory as well as Aviator. Escape/ Corsair seem a given too if they really are going into production in August. There will always be some sort of special Mustang they will pull out of their a- ummm… hat, so the new Shelby seems right.

Ford never pays Chicago much attention, despite it being the largest auto show. Didnt they unveil the Expedition at some state fair before showing it in Chicago? I could see Chicago being the unveiling of the PIU after the consumer model is revealed elsewhere.

They gave it its own event at the Cowboys stadium, and it was horrible.

• Like 1

In the grand scheme of sales and marketing, the auto shows just don’t matter much any more. Whatever you do announce gets lost in the dozens of other announcements which is why Ford has started doing their reveals at other events or on different timeframes.

In the grand scheme of sales and marketing, the auto shows just dont matter much any more. Whatever you do announce gets lost in the dozens of other announcements which is why Ford has started doing their reveals at other events or on different timeframes.

Correct, BMW showed off the new 3 series yesterday

In the grand scheme of sales and marketing, the auto shows just don’t matter much any more. Whatever you do announce gets lost in the dozens of other announcements which is why Ford has started doing their reveals at other events or on different timeframes.

Not sure how much press Detroit is even going to get this year. BMW, Mini, Mercedes, Porsche, Land Rover, Volvo, Mazda, Audi are all skipping which means a lot of the world media isn't going to show up. It makes more sense to do an off day showing and own the internet for the day than just being buried in the many press releases.

• 4 weeks later...
22 hours ago, theoldwizard said:

There will be a lot of disappointed people if Bronco does not show up in Detroit or at least Chicago.  Of course, isn't Bronco scheduled to be a 2021 ?

Still says 2020 on the Ford site and UAW keeps telling employees in Michigan it’s coming the end of this year.