Ford Trademarks Mach-E, Thunder, and Evos Names

34 minutes ago, fordmantpw said:

In Michigan?  I didn't think they sold 2WD north of Arkansas.  They are almost non-existent here in MO.

Not sure of the truck's history, I bought it in 2012.  I believe it spent the first 18 years of it's life in farm country, a few hundred miles south of here.  I pretty much park it once snow season begins.  2WD and snow-covered roads don't mix.  

40 minutes ago, fordmantpw said:

In Michigan?  I didn't think they sold 2WD north of Arkansas.  They are almost non-existent here in MO.

I've only seen 1 newer than 2014, even with living so close to Dearborn.

Even my cousin who swears by single cab trucks finally got a 2017 Supercab to replace his 2011 regular cab.  

42 minutes ago, mackinaw said:

Not sure of the truck's history, I bought it in 2012.  I believe it spent the first 18 years of it's life in farm country, a few hundred miles south of here.  I pretty much park it once snow season begins.  2WD and snow-covered roads don't mix.  

Trucks are pretty much worthless in snow without 2WD or 1000 lbs in the bed.

6 hours ago, Sevensecondsuv said:

What I don't understand is why we don't yet have a lightning. All the pieces are there. Just take a nice lightweight loomnum rcsb F-150 with the coyote and stick the FRPP whipple supercharger on it.  YouTube is full of videos of guys who've done just that. In 4wd they make 1/4 mile monsters. All the insane power of a whipple'd mustang without the traction limitations. Seems too simple to not be a factory offering.

The plants are flat out, every RC built takes away a space from either SuperCab or SuperCrew, Ford defers to the aftermarket take care of HP RC buyers, a bit like they do with Mustang GT.......

Sevensecondsuv, I wonder if the Shelby S/C kit fits the 5.0 F150, maybe an enterprising dealership could do their own Lightning.

Edited by jpd80

You all need to venture out deep into corn country.  The reg cab is alive and well out here.  No it's not the majority any more, but it's far from extinct. They're preferred in any application that demands the full 8' bed and prioritizes manueveribility over passenger capacity.

Even up here in northwest IL there's still 2wd pickups too. Again, not the majority, but they're around. They're not useless in winter either. A set of snow tires and a l/s diff goes just fine in snow. Although I did find the limit of that setup on my turbo ranger this last week in winter storm Bruce. I finally got my drive plowed out but then got stuck in the middle of the road about 100 ft from my driveway in a 2' deep drift. Ended up having to drive the '95 F250 (which is 4wd) that day.

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

Sevensecondsuv, I wonder if the Shelby S/C kit fits the 5.0 F150, maybe an enterprising dealership could do their own Lightning.

I'm pretty sure Roush sells SC kits for the F-150/F150.

The power isn't the issue with the Lightning, and never was. The Lightning was a total SVT performance package, from the suspension up, not just some power adders on the mill.

7 hours ago, T-dubz said:

I still think the f150 tremor they came out with a few years ago was pretty sweet but I don’t think it sold very well.

The Tremor had two knocks on it. One, it was expensive, and two, its reputation on the performance front was lackluster. I'm not sure why (never drove one), but most of the people I've heard talk about their Tremors were disappointed in its giddyup.

1 hour ago, SoonerLS said:

I'm pretty sure Roush sells SC kits for the F-150/F150.

The power isn't the issue with the Lightning, and never was. The Lightning was a total SVT performance package, from the suspension up, not just some power adders on the mill.

But  today, the aftermarket has all of that covered, so anyone wanting a modern Lightning can do it with relative ease.

58 minutes ago, 02MustangGT said:

I wouldn’t consider under 6 secs to 60mph in a truck lackluster.  But whatever, if Ford wants to build a new performance truck, you can bet power will be supplemented by an electric motor.  

Or maybe the performance of the basic truck is enough for most people, sales of the diminutive 2.7 EB are growing. (335 HP/400 lb ft)

I think that electrification is being hyped by manufacturers more than the actual market wants and while gas prices stay lower, people will not see any need to pay extra for better fuel economy.....

Edited by jpd80

My truck has 470 lb/ft of torque.  The 6.7L SD can go over 1000 lb/ft with a simple tune.  And folks are complaining because there’s no high performance factory option.   Heck even a factory 5.0L comes real close to outperforming the old Lightning.

• Like 1

@jpd80.  Yep, electrification is hyped, but it’s difficult to argue with the performance impact.  Aviator Grand Touring is an example and is the basis for future Ford/Lincoln performance vehicles.  Fuel efficiency increase will be secondary (for the very near future), but the potential to use electric to drive performance is here.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 02MustangGT said:

@jpd80.  Yep, electrification is hyped, but it’s difficult to argue with the performance impact.  Aviator Grand Touring is an example and is the basis for future Ford/Lincoln performance vehicles.  Fuel efficiency increase will be secondary (for the very near future), but the potential to use electric to drive performance is here.  

3.0 EB PHEV means it can run on electric power only for an extended distance saving lots of fuel, no?

1 minute ago, 02MustangGT said:

That was my point, JPD.  Fuel savings is secondary to performance.  ~35 miles of electric only power isn’t going to lead to a huge decrease in fuel consumption, but the PHEV will certainly increase performance.  

This is why I think PHEV is the way of the future, you can set it up either for performance boost or efficiency boost. In the case of the Aviator it's definitely performance boost and I don't think they're hiding that at all. 

11 minutes ago, 02MustangGT said:

That was my point, JPD.  Fuel savings is secondary to performance.  ~35 miles of electric only power isn’t going to lead to a huge decrease in fuel consumption, but the PHEV will certainly increase performance.  

IIRC I think average commute is about 25 miles? So basically you could cut your fuel consumption in half during the work week.

I'm going to take a hard look at the Hybrid Bronco, but I'm not enthused that it might only come with the 3.3L V6. I'd like it with the 2.7L...if I can "afford" it. I drive roughly 13 miles to work, so I could technically go all electric to and from.