2017 Fusion Hybrid Front Wheel Bearing Replacement

Ken_Ferris

Greetings all.

I am about to embark on left front wheel bearing replacement and I would appreciate feedback from those who may have been down this road. I bought the hub/spindle sub assembly from my local dealer. I like this design. It appears this assembly mounts to the face of the knuckle, with bolts coming in from the back side.

Am I dreaming to think I might be able to swap this out without removing the knuckle?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Ken.

If it's anything like the trucks it should be really easy. 

All you need you do is disconnect any wires that might be attached to it, remove the 3 bolts behind the hub, and the center nut holding the c/v axle to the hub and GENTLY push the axle back out of the hub. You can rent a tool from your local O'Reillyzoneboys to push the axle out of the hub. From there you should be able to use a hammer to get the hub out. Judging by the year there shouldn't be too much corrosion holding it in place but I would keep a 3lb short handle sledge handy just in case you need some extra persuasion.

Once you get it all back together I would take it to get a front end alignment to make sure everything is back where it should be. 

2 hours ago, Ken_Ferris said:

Greetings all.

I am about to embark on left front wheel bearing replacement and I would appreciate feedback from those who may have been down this road. I bought the hub/spindle sub assembly from my local dealer. I like this design. It appears this assembly mounts to the face of the knuckle, with bolts coming in from the back side.

Am I dreaming to think I might be able to swap this out without removing the knuckle?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Ken.

Hi Ken.  Wondering why you are not having this work performed under warranty? Are you doing it yourself because  your 2017 Fusion Hybrid is outside the 3 year/36,000 mile Bumper to Bumper warranty...or perhaps this repair was necessitated by a collision or other warranty disqualifying reason?

Edited by bbf2530
  • Like 1

It's fairly straight forward. I strongly suggest you beg, borrow or steal a halfshaft remover tool and the installer for the half shaft. Ford number 204-161 (T97P-1175-A) for the installer as the halfshaft may be hard to pull through the hub. Plus its a good idea to fully seat the halfshaft before torquing the nut, to avoid early failure. 

The knuckle stays on the car, but you have to take the lower control arm out of the knuckle to get the halfshaft out of the hub to access the bolts, If I remember right.

Edited by YT90SC

Thank you all for the replies.

Not a warranty issue as the car has over 70k miles. This bearing was damaged some time back from hitting a large pot hole. I ended up having to pull the knuckle. Not to difficult.

This has been a great car. Smooth. Quiet. Comfortable. And great on fuel!

Thanks again.