Dogs set off alarm - 18 Navigator

DCP

We travel with our dogs. When we leave them in the, they trigger the motion detector and set off the alarm. I asked Lincoln; they said the was no switch to deactivate the motion detectors, but suggested I speak with Lincoln about disabling them. Any suggestions?  

Sometimes it helps to read the owner's manual.

Page 85:

Alarm System Perimeter Alarm The perimeter alarm is a deterrent against unauthorized access to your vehicle through the doors and the hood.

Interior Sensors Note: Do not cover up the interior lamp unit sensors. The interior lamp unit sensors are in the overhead console. The sensors act as a deterrent against unauthorized intrusion by sensing any movement inside your vehicle.

Inclination Sensors When you lock your vehicle and arm the alarm, the sensors are designed to detect an attempt to raise your vehicle, for example to remove a wheel or to tow it away.

Alarm Settings

ALL SENSORS ACTIVE is the standard setting. In this mode, the interior sensors are on when you arm the alarm.

In PERIMETER SENSING mode, the interior sensors are off when you arm the alarm. You can change the setting through the information display. See General Information (page 119).

Ask on Exit (If Equipped) You can set the information display to ask you each time which level of guard you wish to set.

• Like 1

akirky:  I agree that it is helpful to look at the manual, but only if you look at the right manual.  That isn't there in mine (p.85 deals with adjusting the steering wheel).  This is everything it says about the alarm system (on page 82):

ANTI-THEFT ALARM
The system will warn you of an unauthorized
entry to your vehicle. It will be triggered if
any door, the luggage compartment or the
hood is opened without using the key,
remote control or keyless entry keypad.
The direction indicators will flash and the
horn will sound if unauthorized entry is
attempted while the alarm is armed.
Take all remote controls to an authorized
dealer if there is any potential alarm problem
with your vehicle.
Arming the Alarm
The alarm is ready to arm when there is not
a key in your vehicle. Electronically lock your
vehicle to arm the alarm.
Disarming the Alarm
Disarm the alarm by any of the following
actions:
• Unlock the doors or luggage
compartment with the remote control or
keyless entry keypad.
• Switch your vehicle on or start your
vehicle.
• Use a key in the driver door to unlock
your vehicle, then switch your vehicle on
within 12 seconds.
Note: Pressing the panic button on the
remote control will stop the horn and signal
indicators, but will not disarm the system.

An update. Both my printed manual and the online version I downloaded when I bought the vehicle don't describe a method for turning off the interior motion sensors. When I emailed Lincoln, the response was that you could not turn the motion sensors off, but perhaps my dealer knew of a "trick" to do so. After akirky's comment, I looked online for the manual again and, sure enough, there is a new version with the content he described. There is, in fact, an option to turn the interior motion sensors off in settings in the speedo display using the steering wheel controls.  Thanks for the help that I did not get from Lincoln.