Deciding between Navigator and Navigator L

Hello everyone! I was wondering if I could ask for some people's input regarding how you decided on the length of your Navigator.

I currently drive a minivan (Chrysler Pacifica) and am missing the luxury features and 4wd I was accustomed to previously. My in-laws are moving here soon and I would imagine we will be taking 2-4 trips (fairly lengthy) per year with all 6 of us in the car (we have two young kids - ages 3 and 1). I prefer the looks of the standard Navigator length-wise, but I am wondering if we will regret not going with the extended L length in the long run. I did not find it (the L) to be that cumbersome to drive while on a test drive, but my bias is to have something shorter as we likely won't need the cargo space most of the time. If we were to get the 2nd row bench we could put 3 persons in that row on a trip and leave the smaller seat up in the 3rd row for the 6th person while leaving the other side folded for extra cargo.

What do you guys think? Some of these trips could be quite long, so 6 persons and their luggage could take up quite a bit of space (especially with kids and all their stuff and strollers, etc.). I suppose I could do a cargo box or something for the few occasions we can't fit it all, but I kinda hate thinking of having stuff in the heat or cold plus it always seems like people want into their bags or the like for something while on a trip.

I would appreciate any thoughts you might have! If I stick w/Reserve I will probably go Black w/either Cappuccino or Slate Gray interior ... if I go Black Label I will do Tri-Coat White w/Alpine (Chalet) interior.

I'd go with the L version as well. We have 2 toddlers as well and the extra $ for the L version is worth it. If you ever load up the 6-8 passengers, all their gear needs to go somewhere. The capacity past the 3rd row is not great in the regular version so, after spending all that $, you're stuck putting that cargo in a box or on the roof. The incremental cost on the L isn't bad.

We went with the 2nd row bench too, as we didn't want to have dead space from the console or pass through. The space is there, might as well have the flexibility to put a butt in it! That way I can put one of the car seats in the middle seat and not have to worry about moving my driver's seat back and it makes it easier for other passengers to get in/out. 

We got a regular length Reserve with a 2nd row bench, we also have two kids under 3 yrs old so that means 2 car seats.  Our first road trip was a 6 hour drive to the beach with our bikes and a bike trailer/stroller.  We usually pack our, the adult stuff,  light but we grossly underestimated the amount of stuff kids add to the equation.  The L would have been amazing!  We came from a much smaller vehicle to the Navigator so the regular length one seemed cavernous to us.  I’d say most of the time the short wheelbase is fine, but for those few road trips a year or hauling people in the 3rd row with day packs or whatever the L is a no brainer.  We don’t want to put a cargo box on top, mainly because of the overall height of the vehicle because this would keep us from parking anywhere covered.  My wife was super reluctant to buy me the Navigator in the first place, now she’s already hinting at trading up for the L in a couple more years and hoping for a hybrid.

We are going with the L for the reasons stated. One interesting tidbit from one of the reviews I read is that the reviewer became carsick in the rear seat of the L due to a little additional sway, and recommended the regular length for that very reason. I can’t imagine that’s accurate, but it is interesting that they felt so strongly about the L being the cause that they’d put it in print. 

Thank you guys for all of the input! I think we will go L when we decide to go for it. Now deciding whether to go Black Label or Reserve and when to order. The younger the kids are, the more we appreciate those sliding doors in the van.  Gonna need more space in about a year or so though. Would love to wait for a mid-cycle refresh. Part of me says it makes sense to just get the Ford Expedition Max ... basically the only tangible difference is you can't get HUD in the Expedition. Of course the interior, etc. or the Navigator is a lot better and distinctive, but for $20K more ... I'm not so sure.

Thank you again for discussing why you chose the L or not!! It has really helped!

On 12/8/2018 at 12:09 PM, boredinbirmingham said:

We got a regular length Reserve with a 2nd row bench, we also have two kids under 3 yrs old so that means 2 car seats.  Our first road trip was a 6 hour drive to the beach with our bikes and a bike trailer/stroller.  We usually pack our, the adult stuff,  light but we grossly underestimated the amount of stuff kids add to the equation.  The L would have been amazing!  We came from a much smaller vehicle to the Navigator so the regular length one seemed cavernous to us.  I’d say most of the time the short wheelbase is fine, but for those few road trips a year or hauling people in the 3rd row with day packs or whatever the L is a no brainer.  We don’t want to put a cargo box on top, mainly because of the overall height of the vehicle because this would keep us from parking anywhere covered.  My wife was super reluctant to buy me the Navigator in the first place, now she’s already hinting at trading up for the L in a couple more years and hoping for a hybrid.

I too am kind of hoping for a hybrid or plug in ... we might not make the move for a year or two yet. I also kind of want to see what the redesigned Escalade/Suburban/Denali XL has to offer.

You are reminding me of our first trip when we'd just had our first. Super anxious and clueless new parents, we brought about everything we thought we might need and completely filled up our Acura MDX. It was really pathetic looking back. :)

• Haha 1