Lincoln Contentinal "Coach Doors" aka Sucide doors!

4 hours ago, rmc523 said:

These open independently.

I disagree.  Aviator is the one they should throw into movies and commercials.  It represents the future of the Lincoln brand, not this modified Continental.  IF this were a new CD6 RWD model with suicide doors, I'd be more on board with the idea of throwing it out there, but not this.

I understand what you are saying but this is cool and would be a cool addition to the aviator and navigator. 

16 minutes ago, fordtech1 said:

I’d be interested on how it’s shipped to them. Like the mkt limo they send it as a partial car ready to be finished. Wonder if the coach builder will stretch it and modify the doors or just modify the doors and the stretch is factory. 

I just read the Detroit news article which answered my question. They are stretched at modifier as well.

8 hours ago, rmc523 said:

These open independently.

I disagree.  Aviator is the one they should throw into movies and commercials.  It represents the future of the Lincoln brand, not this modified Continental.  IF this were a new CD6 RWD model with suicide doors, I'd be more on board with the idea of throwing it out there, but not this.

In the last live action Spiderman, Tony Starks' limo was the new Connie, had to look for it in the interior.

16 hours ago, fordtech1 said:

I understand what you are saying but this is cool and would be a cool addition to the aviator and navigator. 

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply they shouldn't put it in movies and things at all, just that a vehicle like Aviator or Navigator should be more of the "star", if you will, while having this be the supporting cast.

According to a Lincoln sales person, the order book is now closed. Within a day of the announcement over 8,000 orders were made for the 80 available Special Edition Continentals. Wonder how Lincoln is going to sort them out. That's more attempted purchases in one day than Lincoln has sold so far this year (7,588 from Jan -Nov. 2018) for the stock car.

7 hours ago, Assimilator said:

They haven't heard the price yet, probably.  And I would seriously doubt there were 8,000 orders.  

As I look at what the person said, these may well have been inquiries, not attempted orders (as you can't order once the order book is closed). Here is the exact statement: "Over 8,000 requests came in for the 80th Anniversary SE Continental, order bank is closed." So, even if all 8,000+ wouldn't in the end have put down their deposits, way more than 80 tried to and most certainly 80 succeeded in doing so. I expect that it was the exclusivity of the offering that brought in the mad rush of inquiries. Many of them no doubt from collectors.

The thing that I wonder about is that the whole thing makes no sense if as rumored the Continental goes away in a couple of years. Why go to all the trouble of doing this publicity stunt to draw attention to and build a buzz for a model you are going to shut down?

Edited by Gurgeh

1 hour ago, Gurgeh said:

The thing that I wonder about is that the whole thing makes no sense if as rumored the Continental goes away in a couple of years. Why go to all the trouble of doing this publicity stunt to draw attention to and build a buzz for a model you are going to shut down?

Because the planning of it started years ago and the overall cost to do it wasn't determental to the profitibitlity of it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gurgeh said:

As I look at what the person said, these may well have been inquiries, not attempted orders (as you can't order once the order book is closed). Here is the exact statement: "Over 8,000 requests came in for the 80th Anniversary SE Continental, order bank is closed." So, even if all 8,000+ wouldn't in the end have put down their deposits, way more than 80 tried to and most certainly 80 succeeded in doing so. I expect that it was the exclusivity of the offering that brought in the mad rush of inquiries. Many of them no doubt from collectors.

Even if it is was a "send off" of the Continental nameplate (who knows if it is yet), marking its long legacy and past milestones, I think it was a wise choice. We know the Continental is going to continue through the 2020 model year at least...its not like what Cadillac is doing with the CT6, ending production Jan 2019 yet they just debuted the V8 V edition!

You don't elevate your brand playing it safe, esp in the luxury field. While realistically this coach door edition will be owned by few and rarely seen out on the streets, the good press and talk about it is all worth it. Even us here might have laughed at a $100,000 Lincoln a few short years ago, yet the Navigator BL is indeed selling near that and the press and public aren't laughing...its truly deemed worthy of it! Add to that the coming Aviator which I think might hit $90,000 list price for a fully loaded BL Grand Touring model, and you see how this special Continental conceptually fits into that picture.

Do I think the Coach Door edition is truly worth the $100,000+ ? Probably not, if one is a wise shopper! One really is only getting the stretched body and doors vs a regular BL model (notice the rear seat is actually the same as the std BL, with the new flow through console actually mounted on top of the seat!) I wish they would have added the 30 way seats back there and a more elaborate console with a fridge, tablet screens, ect. But I understand how they did have limits to what they could spend their budget on, with all of it going to the stretch and outsourcing of the model (dont forget the crash testing costs which must have added $$$)

So yes, it is a vanity piece meant to drum up excitement and to appear daring! Like I said before, they could have slapped on 80th Anniversary badges on a regular Continental and called it a day...but they didn't! For that, I applaud them and like the audacity of it all!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, spudz64 said:

So yes, it is a vanity piece meant to drum up excitement and to appear daring! Like I said before, they could have slapped on 80th Anniversary badges on a regular Continental and called it a day...but they didn't! For that, I applaud them and like the audacity of it all!

It's a good and cheap way for Ford to drum up some buzz around the car.

14 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

I suspect those 8,000 requests are people clicking on the website and then clicking keep me updated.

I thought the special Continentals were $150K each...

I don't vouch for the 8,000+. All I know is that they sold out all 80 in less than 48 hours, the order books are now closed, and dealers were turning away deposits. I know of one person who tried to order but the dealer was demanding a 20% dealer surcharge, so he didn't buy.

4 minutes ago, Gurgeh said:

I don't vouch for the 8,000+. All I know is that they sold out all 80 in less than 48 hours, the order books are now closed, and dealers were turning away deposits. I know of one person who tried to order but the dealer was demanding a 20% dealer surcharge, so he didn't buy.

Wouldn't it be ironic if the very vehicle type Ford refuses to build (Town Car) is still sought after by a select audience...

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 2

Nice article here with a refreshing perspective...

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a25616568/autos-wish-list/

" I would like to think that the coach-door, coach-built Continental is the direct product of Lincoln’s willingness to listen to the actual desires of its customers and change direction where both appropriate and possible. The buyers wanted old-school doors on the car, and now they’re going to have the option. Simple as that. "

"Next year, however, the coach-door Continental will be available on an unlimited basis–and if the Powers That Be within the Blue Oval give the nod, a rear-wheel-drive large sedan will assume the storied nameplate some time in the next few years, complete with standard-equipment coach doors in all trim levels. That, as the kids say, will be “lit.”

There will still be a RWD Mustang, so why not a RWD Lincoln?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, timmm55 said:

"Next year, however, the coach-door Continental will be available on an unlimited basis–and if the Powers That Be within the Blue Oval give the nod, a rear-wheel-drive large sedan will assume the storied nameplate some time in the next few years, complete with standard-equipment coach doors in all trim levels. That, as the kids say, will be “lit.”

There will still be a RWD Mustang, so why not a RWD Lincoln?

Why not indeed.  A chance to put the new CD6 modular platform to a use beyond SUV's.

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

I got to see the 80th Anniversary Continental Coach Door edition today at the NY show and it was an actual production model, and I noticed many changes from the first model that was shown. First up, the rear quarter now has an actual window rather then a black filler piece of plastic! The inside trim around this piece now matches the rest of the design and colors as well. Another major change is the B pillar now has a black filler piece set between the two doors and is seen from outside as well...I was told this was to fill in for possible gaps on the earlier prototype. From what I saw, I think the B pillar was stretched a bit to do this, so the overall stretch may be more than 6”. The interior console was changed and made more premium as well, with a pull out folding metal tray as shown. The doors now open at the same angle unlike the prototype which had the rear doors tip upward a bit. The rear hinges are now more production looking rather than the massive ones seen before too.

The last change and what is a bit disappointing is they door handles are no longer joined as first shown, and instead the front door is usual production Continental while the rear mirrors it like on other Continentals. The originally show a joined door handles were cooler looking and made of metal as well, oh well, it still is a unique edition and looked great in person!

E030C7AE-EABC-4B2D-8C2E-A37911856224.jpeg

• Like 1