Deciding on Exterior & Interior Color / Choosing Navigator v Expediton

I'm not for sure if the Lincoln plan is different than the Ford plan or not. I just know the Ford plan was a ripoff. If they replace the brakes, which are covered, I will feel a little better about it but still won't ever buy it again. If they don't replace the brakes then it is even worse and I am having doubts the brakes on my F450 will need replaced by 100,000 miles. Even if they are close I have doubts the dealer will replace them. Maybe your dealer will be better but stay on top of what is supposed to be included. They don't fill up my diesel exhaust fluid half the time and the last time I had it serviced the manager told me I didn't ask for it though it is included in the maintenance plan. I found out abut the fluid flushes last time I had it serviced. They wanted to flush the coolant, transmission, and brakes, cost was well over a thousand dollars. I told them that was included in my plan and was told no, my plan just includes "adding fluids". That's not what the plan states but nowhere can I find out the definition according to Ford. 

I also bought the extended warranty and haven't had to use it which I am fine with.  I would buy it again but not the maintenance plan.  If your plan states "flush" I would feel much better about it. I believe mine states something like "change transmission fluid". I know the manager told me directly that the finance guys lie all the time and he has to deal with it. Maybe he's lying himself!

16 hours ago, C130 said:

I'm not for sure if the Lincoln plan is different than the Ford plan or not. I just know the Ford plan was a ripoff. If they replace the brakes, which are covered, I will feel a little better about it but still won't ever buy it again. If they don't replace the brakes then it is even worse and I am having doubts the brakes on my F450 will need replaced by 100,000 miles. Even if they are close I have doubts the dealer will replace them. Maybe your dealer will be better but stay on top of what is supposed to be included. They don't fill up my diesel exhaust fluid half the time and the last time I had it serviced the manager told me I didn't ask for it though it is included in the maintenance plan. I found out abut the fluid flushes last time I had it serviced. They wanted to flush the coolant, transmission, and brakes, cost was well over a thousand dollars. I told them that was included in my plan and was told no, my plan just includes "adding fluids". That's not what the plan states but nowhere can I find out the definition according to Ford. 

I also bought the extended warranty and haven't had to use it which I am fine with.  I would buy it again but not the maintenance plan.  If your plan states "flush" I would feel much better about it. I believe mine states something like "change transmission fluid". I know the manager told me directly that the finance guys lie all the time and he has to deal with it. Maybe he's lying himself!

That’s so crazy, the manager throwing the finance guy under the bus lol is this the same dealership you purchased from?  That’s some world class finger pointing.  I’m gonna pull out my paperwork and give it another detailed look... I really should know that thing inside and out considering the cost.  

We were in the same boat, looking at Expy vs Navi, ended up buying one used with 17k miles on it and couldn't be happier.  We got Reserve L.  I think extended version looks great.  Due to its size and length, it just commands the road.

I think Navi has better overall finish in all area, softer ride, better seat comfort, many more to point out.  Wife's primary vehicle, and she was sold on Navi after a single test drive...this was just like OP, had the deal worked out for Expedition Max Plat trim.  

Information on Navi is harder to find, as less vehicles on the road and not many people do their own maint. on the vehicle, but looking at some Raptor, F150, expedition forums, you can find useful information.  We tends to keep the car for long time, so keeping up with regular maint is part of the formula that get longevity out of the vehicle.  People have different feelings about whether to follow maint. schedule or not, but if I can do it, I do it at my own term that I am comfortable with.  Oil change at 7500k with oil I choose, changing out the spark plugs at 50k, probably do the first transmission drain and fill at about 30k, then every 15K or so there after, brake fluid drain and fill, etc.  

Expedition is great vehicle, but I think Lincoln does thing much much better.  And of course, having longer warranty on both BTB and Powertrain is bonus as well.  

Having so much room (not much in cargo, however) make long trips so much easier on longer road trips as well for everyone (and rear 2nd and 3rd row seats are much more comfortable than Expy due to better padding underneath).

On 1/4/2019 at 1:04 PM, boredinbirmingham said:

That’s so crazy, the manager throwing the finance guy under the bus lol is this the same dealership you purchased from?  That’s some world class finger pointing.  I’m gonna pull out my paperwork and give it another detailed look... I really should know that thing inside and out considering the cost.  

Yes, definitely finger pointing and laying blame on the finance guy!  Finance guy on the Navigator told me it didn't make sense since I was leasing it. I wasn't going to get it anyways, especially on a lease, but he was very up front about it and didn't try to sell it. 

On 1/7/2019 at 2:35 PM, Houston Sparty said:

.........  People have different feelings about whether to follow maint. schedule or not, but if I can do it, I do it at my own term that I am comfortable with.  Oil change at 7500k with oil I choose, changing out the spark plugs at 50k, probably do the first transmission drain and fill at about 30k, then every 15K or so there after, brake fluid drain and fill, etc.  .......

I think you are living 50 years in the past.  Modern cars tell you when then need their oil changed.  Spark plugs last 100k miles.  Trans fluid last 150k miles. I suspect what you are proposing would add little if any life to the engine and the costs would far exceed any additional value.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/17/2018 at 5:43 PM, Husker4theSpurs said:

Another post looking for some input ...

We are having a tough time settling on an exterior and interior color. We really like the Chalet Theme interior on the Black Label, but not sure we really want to shell out the $10K extra for that interior plus included service and annual detailing (we wouldn't use the other services honestly). We have decided we need the L thanks to responses to the other topic I posted. I don't LOVE the look of the longer body.

In a perfect world, I love the look of a black Navigator with the chrome accents and brighter wheels (Black in Reserve package say), but we have two YOUNG kids and likely will keep this car much longer than we normally do (generally 3 years of late ... yes, I know it's dumb financially) so black does not feel smart this time around. We are probably leaning toward White Platinum but I don't like the look of it as well with all the chrome of the Reserve (tend to like the chrome contrast with a darker exterior). If we chose the Reserve it would likely be the Cappuccino interior as the black is too dark overall and the Slate Grey we aren't too sure about. So then I'm back to the Black Label ... I don't love the rims but I like the contrast they provide on a lighter exterior (like White Platinum) and the black trim pieces (I don't like them on the darker exteriors on Black Label because the black accents get lost).

In all honesty I may like the rims on the Select model best of them all. They look a little more aggressive and less sleek to me. However, I like the extras on the Reserve (especially the top of the line stereo).

Sorry I am talking all over the place ... that sentiment of confusion leads me to ask myself, "If you don't love the look of the extended length and are having a tough time deciding on exterior and interior color why not just save the $s and get an Expedition?" Theoretically all I'd be tangibly missing would be a better stereo and Heads Up Display (obviously lots of other things like upscale interior, etc. too). I would HAVE to get the Platinum trim in the Expedition I believe due to wanting the adaptive ride, but there I don't like the rims so much and would likely choose a dark exterior to contrast the brighter rims of the Platinum.

Obviously I am all over the place with this decision ... any input or experience you also had making these decisions PLEASE feel free to share! Thanks for listening!

Thank you for posting.  I'm going through the same thing trying to put together a Navigator.  I have wasted countless hours on the Lincoln web site building with this color or that interior.    The BL interior choices are too limited, and I fear not exactly timeless.    I much prefer the MB GLS color offerings but not really the rest of the car. <sigh> .     First world problems.  lol

For the paint, I liked most of the colors especially the burgundy but my wife liked the Blue Diamond.  We got the Blue diamond ?.   After looking at the Burgundy while waiting for our order, I did get the sense that burgundy was too over the top screaming for attention.  The ruby was even more so.  The Blue is more reserved.   We paired it with the cappuccino and It looks great together.   Also its a color that's not an up charge.   The Rhapsody was too dark while the silvers and browns were too ordinary.   But it's all preference and I would be happy with most all of them.  BTW the 20 speaker Revel sounds REAL nice.   The comfort of the seating is bar none to anything on the road.   We test drove many and the up charge from Expy to Navi is worth every penny.   While an SUV is not a sports car, The extra ponies of the Navi engine is fun when you want to use them. I only have 500 miles on the OD but were averaging 19mpg in all around driving in the winter.   So So happy with this beast.  We got the standard length Reserve with Cargo package.   No real need to get the L.   Plenty of room.   

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, drpaul said:

Thank you for posting.  I'm going through the same thing trying to put together a Navigator.  I have wasted countless hours on the Lincoln web site building with this color or that interior.    The BL interior choices are too limited, and I fear not exactly timeless.    I much prefer the MB GLS color offerings but not really the rest of the car. <sigh> .     First world problems.  lol

We finally settled on a Reserve L in White Platinum w Cappuccino interior. Gonna black out the chrome, powder coat the wheels and possibly wrap the whole car Satin Dark Grey. The recommendations to not use a car wash with a wrap has me hesitating though. Good luck in your decision!

• Thanks 1

On 12/17/2018 at 5:43 PM, Husker4theSpurs said:

Thats another decision between the base and the L.......  I've been reading about car leathers too in trying to decide if I like the BL leather vs the Reserve.  The interior of the cars absolutely smells differently.  .  Turns out the leather "smell" isn't from the leather.  Rather,  it is actually a kind of car perfume that lingers for awhile but eventually fades.  I had no idea.  So,  now i'm thinking to just go with Reserve and save about 8-10k.  

3 hours ago, drpaul said:

Thats another decision between the base and the L.......  I've been reading about car leathers too in trying to decide if I like the BL leather vs the Reserve.  The interior of the cars absolutely smells differently.  .  Turns out the leather "smell" isn't from the leather.  Rather,  it is actually a kind of car perfume that lingers for awhile but eventually fades.  I had no idea.  So,  now i'm thinking to just go with Reserve and save about 8-10k.  

What is this smell thing?  I didn't notice in on test drives or in showroom.  In the same boat, trying to decide between BL and Reserve and if BL interior and benefits are really worth the extra cost.   Very hard to find Black Labels in Texas right now

4 hours ago, drpaul said:

Yeah, the Black Label leather will likely wear worse. I was anticipating really liking the Chalet theme but when sitting in it in person my wife and I both didn't love it.  We wanted a lighter interior so Cappuccino was it.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, PatfanTx said:

What is this smell thing?  I didn't notice in on test drives or in showroom.  In the same boat, trying to decide between BL and Reserve and if BL interior and benefits are really worth the extra cost.   Very hard to find Black Labels in Texas right now

The leather smells are apparently just patented scents.  The leather is heavily processed.    I can't find anything specifically on the Lincoln leather though.  So,  its hard to know if the BL leather is worth the extra 6k price tag.  I'm not digging the blue, white, or burgandy anyway.  I'm baffled why they don't have more selection available.  

Just now, drpaul said:

The leather smells are apparently just patented scents.  The leather is heavily processed.    I can't find anything specifically on the Lincoln leather though.  So,  its hard to know if the BL leather is worth the extra 6k price tag.  I'm not digging the blue, white, or burgandy anyway.  I'm baffled  they don't have more selection available.