2020 Escape Spied with little camo

54 minutes ago, Assimilator said:

Australia had the Falcon, North America had the Panther.  Both venerable and mediocre RWD architectures with infrequently updated bodystyles, although the Panther was much larger and more robust.  Nobody was missing anything if they wanted to be overcharged for an ancient large RWD sedan.  Falcon had long been an inferior and ancient design to the Commodore anyway, it's only celebrated by Ford fans.  The nostalgia taints the reality that the Ford lost the plot well before Holden did.  

Ford Aus actually developed the Territory SUV off the Falcon platform as a way of transitioning to the growing trend but let it rot on the vine for five years by not providing the V6 diesel until 2010. By then the writing was on the wall but what really killed both Falcon and Commodore was their retreat to performance versions, fans who loved them - they covered that beautifully but the basic sedan buyer had no real reason to stay and pay more fo something they really didn't need anymore.

Far from being Ancient, the Falcon was an evolutionary product that to outsiders seemed older than it was, and after the plant closed, we were all hoping that Ford would embrace it and rework the design for a new suite of RWD vehicles under the CD6,

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, ANTAUS said:

Honestly, I'm getting pretty tired of that grill design, can they please introduce a new design.  I dare to say that an CrV actually looks more stylish than this.

It's too bad Ford didn't stick with something closer to the original iteration of the aping of the Aston Martin grill. The Escape grill looks like it's upside down in comparison to the original Fusion grill:

3FA6P0HR2DR175127-1c.jpg?201807201130

Edited by Harley Lover

pydlyrkvn9lyfo9w2wcb.jpg2020-ford-escape-1.jpg&thumbnail=992,558the implementation of this grille works a lot better on the focus. The grille and headlights appear larger on the focus. You’d think it would be the other way around. Also, the positioning of the headlights is much better on the focus. On the escape, the headlights are completely above the grille.  This gives it an appearance of a smiley face and reminds me of this Miata.

34143987-OVR.jpg

They could fix this design by taking a lot of the slope out of the hood and having a more upright front. Make the grille larger and move it up higher. Put the headlights on the side of the grille instead of above it.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

the implementation of this grille works a lot better on the focus. The grille and headlights appear larger on the focus. You’d think it would be the other way around. Also, the positioning of the headlights is much better on the focus. On the escape, the headlights are completely above the grille.  

It's possible that the disguise on the mule is hiding some front end sculpting that is obvious on the Focus. I hope the final product looks better than the front end as presented on the mule.

What makes the Escape one of the oddest designs in the segment is the horizon line across the front which flattens and lowers the fascia. Placing the grille below that horizon line and well below the headlights is a strange decision for a utility design.  I do think some of this is related to improving efficiency through better aerodynamics.

What makes the Focus fascia work better is the notched headlights and the hood bulge meeting with the shape of the grille.  The Escape doesn't pickup the same surfacing details of the Focus, but there is some details hidden by the vinyl wrap.  I mentioned it looked like a cross between Focus and Explorer, and you can even see those Explorer-like ground effects. 

I should clarify my earlier statements about the Escape.  It's largely retaining the same exterior dimensions (like Focus), but the wheelbase has been lengthened with improved interior packaging and spaciousness.  

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Harley Lover said:

I know what it is, Fuzz, I'm specifically wondering about the speculation surrounding the wheelbase, owing to the cobbled rear section of the mule.

Oh it's definitely longer and the outgoing one, I can tell you that for sure based on the size of the front floor pan vs. the old one. 

On 1/4/2019 at 6:40 PM, Deanh said:

Aussie styling and American tastes don't really jive....the Commodore released here ( US ) Chevrolet SS is a classic case...friggen awesome car but styling came off as generic and bland. Engines....blame our stringent emission laws would be my guess.

Not to mention the "GTO" and the "G8"

10 hours ago, T-dubz said:

pydlyrkvn9lyfo9w2wcb.jpg2020-ford-escape-1.jpg&thumbnail=992,558the implementation of this grille works a lot better on the focus. The grille and headlights appear larger on the focus. You’d think it would be the other way around. Also, the positioning of the headlights is much better on the focus. On the escape, the headlights are completely above the grille.  This gives it an appearance of a smiley face and reminds me of this Miata.

34143987-OVR.jpg

They could fix this design by taking a lot of the slope out of the hood and having a more upright front. Make the grille larger and move it up higher. Put the headlights on the side of the grille instead of above it.

The absence of front license plate also changes the design quite a bit. The new Escape with front license plate would make the car less smiley. I think the Focus 4 without license plate would also be quite smiley

Sadly the Escape appears not to be debuting with an ST version, but the Kuga is getting an RS version.  It may come later.  If it does get an ST version at launch, the engine is no larger than the 2.0L EB.  I suppose that's still quite reasonable.  

Edited by Assimilator

39 minutes ago, Assimilator said:

Sadly the Escape appears not to be debuting with an ST version, but the Kuga is getting an RS version.  It may come later.  If it does get an ST version at launch, the engine is no larger than the 2.0L EB.  I suppose that's still quite reasonable.  

Though I'm sure that the Lincoln version, the new Corsair, will have as its upgrade engine the twin turbo 2.3 with at least the hp (285) and torque (305 lb/ft) of the MKC that it is replacing. It would be nice if they could tune up the engine even more, but for a compact crossover that's still pretty darned good.

8 minutes ago, Assimilator said:

Leave it to Michigan to appreciate the horror of a front-plate.  I've often wondered what we can do to eliminate the front plate throughout North America.

Let people know the cost of it. 

https://patch.com/rhode-island/coventry/rep-nardolillo-calls-elimination-front-plate

Letting people know that you can save millions of dollars dumping it gets the public on the side of doing it