Wind noise from driver/passenger front door

At freeway speed, I noticed that there is wind noise coming thru the door seal.

It is not coming from A-pillar, but flat portion of the door (top area).  I put my ear starting from the a-pillar, as I move up thru the door, it is definite from the top flat portion.  

Anyone else notice this?  Am I just being too critical?

Does the Navigator have HVAC vents in the door? I had side glass defrost vents in the doors of my 2011 MKX that were fed via a port in the side of the dash that lined up with a matching port with a seal on it on the door...when closed, the HVAC would divert a small amount of defroster air to the side glass....several years and a trip to the dealer for an unrelated issue with the door, it began making a noise the I noticed when other cars passed in the opposite direction (air pressure acting on the exterior of the door/glass area) and would go away if I shut down the HVAC or cracked any window open...turned out that the inside door vent tube had developed a crack on the back side of said tube during repairs and was leaking into the door....replaced the tube and sound went away... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, twintornados said:

@IsaacN I am curious....what is so funny about a suggestion to help chase down a "noise gremlin"?

It took you a while to ask about that haha!

I have noticed it as of late on my 2020. Wasn't there the first few months I had it. Will have to see if it happens with the a/c off. 

I'm very in tune to noises, so I know it wasn't there initially. @Houston Sparty and @HofstraJet did y'all ever get any resolution on this?

For my issue, had the windshield replaced and various other attempts at resolving, all of which failed. Ultimately they tracked the issue down to the damper door when the AC was set to recirculate cabin air. If set to bring in fresh air, the sound disappeared. They replaced the door (or something on that mechanism) and the problem disappeared. Was very odd because the sound didn’t sound like it came from inside the dash. Kudos to the team at my dealership who ultimately found the issue. @Black Label this may be why you only hear it with the AC on. 

TL;DR: sound was from the door which controls fresh/recirculated air in the cabin. Try turning the recirc button on and off and see if the sound disappears. 

Edited by HofstraJet
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, HofstraJet said:

For my issue, had the windshield replaced and various other attempts at resolving, all of which failed. Ultimately they tracked the issue down to the damper door when the AC was set to recirculate cabin air. If set to bring in fresh air, the sound disappeared. They replaced the door (or something on that mechanism) and the problem disappeared. Was very odd because the sound didn’t sound like it came from inside the dash. Kudos to the team at my dealership who ultimately found the issue. @Black Label this may be why you only hear it with the AC on. 

TL;DR: sound was from the door which controls fresh/recirculated air in the cabin. Try turning the recirc button on and off and see if the sound disappears. 

Awesome! Thank you for that info!

Same here there’s wind noise like baffle sound during highway speed. The dealer performed a ride along and diagnosed it as the door seal.  They replaced it but still experiencing the same.  When I shove my fingers between the seals the sound stops or is less.  It looks like there’s a resonance due to door not making a solid seal. 

This seems to be only for my front passenger side. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

When you say they adjusted it,  do you mean they adjusted the door?   My noise is driving me crazy.  All seals were replaced and nothing changed,  if anything, it got worse.   All I hear is the noise in my left ear when driving,  I'm at the point of selling this  $100k garbage can.     - 14k miles,   replaced cam phazers, replaced  turbos,  Sync failed, seats got stuck in full inflate mode, then seat didn't work,   Dealer has  been great about everything,  but I don't have time to keep going back,     If anyone has advice on how to adjust/bend the door,  I'd like to try that as my last ditch effort

1 hour ago, 2019 POS Navigator said:

When you say they adjusted it,  do you mean they adjusted the door?   My noise is driving me crazy.  All seals were replaced and nothing changed,  if anything, it got worse.   All I hear is the noise in my left ear when driving,  I'm at the point of selling this  $100k garbage can.     - 14k miles,   replaced cam phazers, replaced  turbos,  Sync failed, seats got stuck in full inflate mode, then seat didn't work,   Dealer has  been great about everything,  but I don't have time to keep going back,     If anyone has advice on how to adjust/bend the door,  I'd like to try that as my last ditch effort

Without going into yet another diatribe rant about the Fair Oaks FORD/Lincoln, the bolded Ford is min because that's really what they are, that supposedly adjusted it, the short answer is I don't know. The guy said they adjusted the door, yes, but who knows if they really did. I am so lacking in confidence of that place, I flat out think they did jack squat and billed Lincoln, anyway. 

My nature is that when I pick up a vehicle, I usually feel things have been corrected. I thought the wind noise went away, but I have made a few road trips since then, and it is definitely there still. My 2008 Expedition was less noisy on wind noise. Fair Oaks said the next step would be to replace the seals, but I haven't been back because they suck and I don't trust them to do it.