2020 Ford Explorer

It looks like the 3rd row gained some roominess.

2019 vs 2020

Headroom: 37.8" vs 38.9"

Legroom: 32" vs 32.2"

Shoulder Room: 50.8" vs 54.6"

Hip-Room: 40.7" vs 40.9"

Interestingly, the only exterior dimension that changes significantly is the wheelbase, otherwise the width, height, and length are nearly identical.  

Edited by Assimilator

Just now, fuzzymoomoo said:

4 times it doesn't work at all when I start the car.  No radio, no HVAC controls that aren't defrost, and no idea what temperature I'm changing it to. 

All the firmware up to date? I’ve had my 17 for a year and a half. Only once did that happen but not since I updated Sync. The time it did. I just shut it of, restarted and it was fine. 

1 hour ago, Sevensecondsuv said:

This thing looks promising. It'll be this or the bronco to replace our town car for family hauling duties in about 3 years. I'm really hoping the 3.0L will be available in a rwd base or XLT (whatever trim is necessary to keep the second row seat a bench).

That tacked on tablet looks horrendous though. Another reason I'll stick to the lower trims.

3.0L is ST and Platinum only and will be AWD.

Also the bench seat will be standard, the second row captains chairs will be optional.

8 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

All the firmware up to date? I’ve had my 17 for a year and a half. Only once did that happen but not since I updated Sync. The time it did. I just shut it of, restarted and it was fine. 

Car is only 8 months old. Shouldn't need a firmware update 

try shutting it off and restart 5-6 times every time and it didn't fix it. I just played some music on my phone and stuck it in the cup holder to amplify it.

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

2 minutes ago, jasonj80 said:

3.0L is ST and Platinum only and will be AWD.

Also the bench seat will be standard, the second row captains chairs will be optional.

So there's no V6 available on the 2wd ones at all? I've got nothing against ecoboost, just prefer the smoother V6 engine type and more power is always better.

Unfortunately that might be a deal killer for me.

41 minutes ago, Assimilator said:

I just checked it out the site and I just laughed my ass off. If you go to Explore you heritage and look at all the old Explorer pictures, What tires are on them? You would at least think they would have photoshopped the Firestone’s off first.

Edited by jcartwright99
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

I just checked it out the site and I just laughed my ass off. If you go to Explore you heritage and look at all the old Explorer pictures, What tires are them? You would at least think you would have photoshopped the Firestone’s off first.

That list is a hot mess. The one photo that is listed as a 2000 is wrong, it is a 1999. Was the only year you could get the illuminated running boards on the Explorer. They were decontented for the 2000 MY. Auto temperature control was introduced in 1995 with the redesign not 1998. Second generation front Airbags showed up in 1998 not 1999. LED Headlights became standard on the 2016 not 2018, Its odd they mention inflatable seatbelts as Ford no longer even offers them (they also got removed from the '19 Edge/Nautilus) or the heated windshield as the only model with that is the Transit Connect. They didn't mention that SYNC showed up in the 2008 model year. And Heated seats shows up in 1999 not 2007. They did however leave off MyFordTouch for the 2011 launch which was probably smart. 

Edited by jasonj80
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Assimilator said:

It looks like the 3rd row gained some roominess.

2019 vs 2020

Headroom: 37.8" vs 38.9"

Legroom: 32" vs 32.2"

Shoulder Room: 50.8" vs 54.6"

Hip-Room: 40.7" vs 40.9"

Interestingly, the only exterior dimension that changes significantly is the wheelbase, otherwise the width, height, and length are nearly identical.  

Looking at the generations picture the 2020 looks wider and taller.

21 minutes ago, AGR said:

So, the Explorer has 6 generations?? Some of those are just MCEs. But 1964-73 Mustangs constitute one generation?? Whatever... There's at least two generations in there, 1964-70 and 1971-73.

mustang first gen - 1964 - 1973

second gen- 1974 - 1978

third gen - 1979 - 1993

fourth gen - 1994 - 2004

fifth gen - 2005 - 2014

sisxty gen -2015 - 2021

2020 Explorer Tech Specs - PDF

DIMENSIONS (INCHES UNLESS OTHERWISE NOTED)
Exterior
Wheelbase 119.1
Length 198.8
Width, excluding mirrors 78.9
Width, including mirrors 89.3
Width, mirrors folded 82.7
Height 69.9 AWD 70.2
Track, front curb 66.9
Track, rear curb 66.9
Front overhang 33.7
Rear overhang 46.0
Approach angle 20.1 degrees AWD 21.0 degrees
Departure angle 22.0 degrees AWD 22.3 degrees
Ramp breakover angle, curb 17.1 degrees AWD 17.7 degrees
Minimum running ground clearance 7.9 AWD 8.2

Interior
Seating capacity Seven

First-row headroom 40.7
First-row legroom 43.0
First-row shoulder room 61.8
First-row hip room 59.2
Second-row headroom 40.5
Second-row legroom 39.0
Second-row shoulder room 61.9
Second-row hip room 59.1
Third-row headroom 38.9
Third-row legroom 32.2

For editorial use only. Information correct at time of publication. Check media.ford.com for updates.
Third-row shoulder room 54.6
Third-row hip room 40.9

Weights and Capacities
Total passenger volume 152.7 cu. ft. AWD 146.8 cu. ft.
Cargo volume behind first row 87.8 cu. ft.
Cargo volume behind second row 47.9 cu. ft.
Cargo volume behind third row 18.2 cu. ft.
Base curb weight 4,345 lbs. AWD 4,727 lb

5 hours ago, AGR said:

So, the Explorer has 6 generations?? Some of those are just MCEs. But 1964-73 Mustangs constitute one generation?? Whatever... There's at least two generations in there, 1964-70 and 1971-73.

Though the MY06 was more of a MCE, it was pretty substantial. Ford spent 500 million on it. They changed alot under the skin.

And, yes, I agree on the "1st gen" Mustang which was more like 4 generations in one...heck it switched platforms in '71!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Assimilator said:

And EVERY comment is about the ugly display. 

Part of the reason it looks ugly is that at least in the US market place it just looks different. 

If they could shrink the fat borders around the screen, that would help. It reminds me of a iPad in a child’s tough book case. 

Had a 2003, still have a 2007 (233,000 miles).  This new one looks awesome, exterior and interior.  Glad towing is up more.  I'd love it if it wasn't probably $45,000+ for what I'd want.  My 2007 Eddie Bauer was $28,000 new.   You can see it here in the background after I got the Taurus.  

2015-06-07 15.40.50.jpg

11 hours ago, jasonj80 said:

The Nautilus interior is a let down for the update, it still is very nice, a few little updates from the MKX they could have really updated the feel of it. The Digital IC in it is beautiful, very nice the Explorer is getting this.

https://www.ford.com/suvs/explorer/2020/ has some nice photos

The biggest let down in the Nautilus interior update was that they kept the giant wall of a center console....