2020 Ford Explorer

19 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

In terms of MSRP, yes for sure. In terms of R&D it's probably about equal if I had to guess

It's the same R&D basically.  The HEV is just a PHEV with a smaller battery pack and no external charger.  Tuning it to the 3.3L would be some added expense but I think someone else had it right when they said the Explorer ST is the performance option whereas in the Aviator it's the PHEV GT.

And yes I was hoping for a PHEV Explorer too but the regular hybrid isn't bad.

Just now, akirby said:

Yes and No.  The integrated transmission / electric motor is the same but Aviator gets a much bigger battery pack and a plug.  The rest should be the same.

Well I would hope not.  I really want know what the hp is of the electric motor in the Aviator.  Unless it is @150 hp I do not know how it will be able to realistically drive in electric only mode.

1 minute ago, akirby said:

Yes and No.  The integrated transmission / electric motor is the same but Aviator gets a much bigger battery pack and a plug.  The rest should be the same.

Uh correct me if I'm wrong here-but the Lincoln has a 3.0L Ecoboost vs a 3.3L V6, plus plug to charge it.

I'd think the 3L Ecoboost would cost a bit more then a 3.3L V6

19 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Uh correct me if I'm wrong here-but the Lincoln has a 3.0L Ecoboost vs a 3.3L V6, plus plug to charge it.

I'd think the 3L Ecoboost would cost a bit more then a 3.3L V6

I think the 2.7LEB in the F150 is only a couple thousand more than the 3.3L so not a drastic price difference.

The big difference is in the batteries.

21 minutes ago, msm859 said:

Well I would hope not.  I really want know what the hp is of the electric motor in the Aviator.  Unless it is @150 hp I do not know how it will be able to realistically drive in electric only mode.

I'd be surprised if they have two different motors but it is possible.   But we've been down this road already - the Aviator doesn't have to be a beast in EV mode because you have a 450 HP ICE for that.

50 minutes ago, akirby said:

It's the same R&D basically.  The HEV is just a PHEV with a smaller battery pack and no external charger.  Tuning it to the 3.3L would be some added expense but I think someone else had it right when they said the Explorer ST is the performance option whereas in the Aviator it's the PHEV GT.

And yes I was hoping for a PHEV Explorer too but the regular hybrid isn't bad.

It's interesting that the hybrid is limited to the Limited trim haha.

Maybe not a base hybrid. But I don't see why Ford wouldn't make a Platinum and XLT hybrid available later.

The initial model avail is somewhat engine/trim specific. Probably to simply order process and help build up inventory: Base and XLT 2.3 EB, Limited 3.3 HEV, Platinum and ST 3.0 EB

4 hours ago, akirby said:

I'd be surprised if they have two different motors but it is possible.   But we've been down this road already - the Aviator doesn't have to be a beast in EV mode because you have a 450 HP ICE for that.

Yes, we have been down this road before and will hopefully have an answer soon.  However, for reference the Porsche Cayenne E-Hybrid has a total 455 hp and 516lb torque vs the Aviator 450+ hp and 600lb torque.  The Porsche has an ICE with 335 hp and 332lb torque combined with an electric motor with 134hp and 295lb torque.  I am not asking for a beast in EV mode - just enough hp to actually be able to operate in EV mode.  I just don't see how that is possible with an electric motor under even 134 hp.

15 hours ago, Assimilator said:

It makes sense because it helps to hide the upgrade pricing for the Hybrid drivetrain.  The upgrade pricing would probably be different for each series considering how they factor in their margins, especially for anything electrified.  

Well, I was thinking it's surprising it's not a Platinum option too.  I could understand not wanting it to be a base model option.

15 hours ago, Assimilator said:

The Explorer ST looks good, but I'm really starting to dislike the abundance of black cladding in those wheel arches.  

Yeah, they went really thick with the wheel arches for some reason.

13 hours ago, msm859 said:

Yes, we have been down this road before and will hopefully have an answer soon.  However, for reference the Porsche Cayenne E-Hybrid has a total 455 hp and 516lb torque vs the Aviator 450+ hp and 600lb torque.  The Porsche has an ICE with 335 hp and 332lb torque combined with an electric motor with 134hp and 295lb torque.  I am not asking for a beast in EV mode - just enough hp to actually be able to operate in EV mode.  I just don't see how that is possible with an electric motor under even 134 hp.

Maximum torque at 1 rpm helps.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Assimilator said:

The Explorer ST looks good, but I'm really starting to dislike the abundance of black cladding in those wheel arches.  

It is nice to see the Aviator gets less black trim there as std, and when getting the Grand Touring model, its all body colored...