2020 Explorer Production Information

Per the latest FDNB (Fleet Distribution News Bulletin) here's the updated information on the 2020MY Explorer production schedule.

• 01/14/2019 - 2020MY Order Bank Open Date
  • 02/28/2019 - 2020MY Scheduling Begins
  • 05/06/2019 - 2020MY Job #1 Date

The 2020 Explorer Order Guide is expected to be released to Dealers tomorrow morning and will be uploaded to Product Order Guides section as soon as it's available.

Just in case newer BOF members are wondering... Although the vehicle order guides are usually released on the day that the USOB (Unscheduled Order Bank) opens, it's also not unusual for the order guides to be released at a later date when Ford is still finalizing the ordering specifications, etc. Ford recently updated the 2020 Lincoln Aviator timetable to be a week later than the 2020 Explorer so it's possible that the 2020 Explorer Order Guide might not be released until next week. In any event, I'll continue to check Ford's sites for the 2020 Explorer Order Guide and upload it as soon as it's available! 

• Like 1

We've previously had a 2013 Explorer Sport and then a 2017 Explorer Sport.  I guess the ST is now replacing the Sport.  I just hope the ST pricing is in-line with the Sport but I have a bad a feeling it will be $3-4k more.  My 2017 Sport was MSRP'ed at $51,505.  I heard one YouTube reviewer predicting mid-50's for the ST.  Ouch.  

And before you say, just get a Platinum, I can tell you the handling was night and day on the 2017 Platinum vs. Sport.  The Platinum felt like a beast with all that body roll.  We actually got the Sport for the handling and the blackout Sport look, not the speed.  In 2017 you could get the Platinum with the same 3.5l eco so technically it was just as fast as the Sport, in straight lines anyway. 

So I have a 2016 Explorer Platinum in which the lease ends in April. I'm wondering if Ford would extend my lease a few months so I can order the 2020. Does anyone know when the dealers will begin to take orders, and more importantly when the 2020 Explorer will actually hit the streets. Thanks in advance.

37 minutes ago, jgallo22 said:

Thanks for the information. I thought that's what it meant, but wasn't familiar with the term "order BANK"  Thank you again.

Be aware that when they build a new model starting on the job 1 date they have to go 5 consecutive days with no build errors before they give the "ok to buy".  It might take a week or it might take a month or longer if there are big issues.   During that time all vehicles are held for inspection and nothing is shipped and because of that they only build dealer stock orders (priority code of 20 or higher).  When the OK to Buy is given they start shipping new vehicles right off the line and they schedule the customer orders (priority 10-19).  At this point they go back and inspect and repair (if needed) and ship the ones they were holding.   This means a dealer stock order could show up before your customer order but it could also show up a month or two later - there is no way to predict.  It also means your customer order should have better quality.   Keep that in mind if the dealer offers to put in your order as a dealer stock order.

11 minutes ago, blwnsmoke said:

I would never get a dealer stock order on a new model.  Be patient and have a customer order placed.

We’re ready to, just waiting on the configurator to go live. Be amazing having the extra space for the kids. The Escape has served long enough lol. 

6 minutes ago, zgxtreme said:

We’re ready to, just waiting on the configurator to go live. Be amazing having the extra space for the kids. The Escape has served long enough lol. 

Really no reason to wait.  Order guide tells all.  I have a 2020 ST ordered that was submitted last week.

It's now been two weeks since the 2020 Explorer order bank was scheduled to open. As of today, my sales guy says pricing info has not been released, and he won't be able to submit my order for a 2020 Platinum until pricing is available. Make sense?

40 minutes ago, Exit32 said:

It's now been two weeks since the 2020 Explorer order bank was scheduled to open. As of today, my sales guy says pricing info has not been released, and he won't be able to submit my order for a 2020 Platinum until pricing is available. Make sense?

Ask him to try anyway. A guy who posts here was able to place an order for a 2020 Explorer ST the day the order bank opened. 

On 1/15/2019 at 1:48 PM, Jamers said:

We've previously had a 2013 Explorer Sport and then a 2017 Explorer Sport.  I guess the ST is now replacing the Sport.  I just hope the ST pricing is in-line with the Sport but I have a bad a feeling it will be $3-4k more.  My 2017 Sport was MSRP'ed at $51,505.  I heard one YouTube reviewer predicting mid-50's for the ST.  Ouch.  

And before you say, just get a Platinum, I can tell you the handling was night and day on the 2017 Platinum vs. Sport.  The Platinum felt like a beast with all that body roll.  We actually got the Sport for the handling and the blackout Sport look, not the speed.  In 2017 you could get the Platinum with the same 3.5l eco so technically it was just as fast as the Sport, in straight lines anyway. 

Well the good news is the base model pricing isn't all that different and when the Edge went from Sport to ST, the price only went up because extra options where being offered on that package. If they offer a performance package ontop of the ST option, it will cost more, but base for base, I'd expect them to be similar to one another without a huge increase in price. 

3 minutes ago, trove said:

Newbie to ordering here. Where do you see prices? I just see a %

question 2 when will Explorer hybrid est to released and can anyone guess price?

thanks

Someone posted pricing from their order a couple of weeks ago, but we're pretty sure it wasn't accurate as some packages showed a $0 cost.

• 3 weeks later...

I was able to order my 2020 Explorer Platinum this morning. Per akirby's advice, I asked the dealer to order my vehicle as RETAIL rather than STOCK. If all goes as planned at Chicago Assembly, I'm guessing I'll take delivery sometime in July.

I appreciate all the knowledge that's shared by the Ford experts on this forum!