2020 Explorer Order Guide

XLT 202A appears to be the sweet spot for value, just like the F150 XLT 302A.

I would be interested in a Blue Limited when we get rid of our MKX.  I'd love the hybrid but at only 24 mpg I'm not sure it would be worth it.  I get 22 today in mixed driving with my 3.5LEB F150.

43 minutes ago, akirby said:

XLT 202A appears to be the sweet spot for value, just like the F150 XLT 302A.

I would be interested in a Blue Limited when we get rid of our MKX.  I'd love the hybrid but at only 24 mpg I'm not sure it would be worth it.  I get 22 today in mixed driving with my 3.5LEB F150.

Is that what the number is?

Thank you ice-capades. I printed a copy of the 2020 Explorer Order Guide, studied it, then visited my local Ford dealership to order a 2020 Platinum with the Premium Technology Package. My sales guy was pleased to see me but was unable to enter my order -- the order bank for the 2020 Explorer hasn't opened yet.

• Like 1

I owned a 2011 Explorer and now drive a 2017 and will probably get another.  But looking at this order guide I'm disappointed.  Who makes the manufacturing option package decisions?  Why must I get 20" wheels if I want the moon roof?  Why can't I get the 2nd row bench (dog vehicle requirement) in the XLT?  And of course, why can't I get a V6 NA or V6 turbo in the XLT?

For mpg, if the hybrid can go 500+ miles on it's 19.3 gallon tank then it's getting 25.9 mpg.

2nd row bench seat is an option on the XLT 202A.

As to the other questions, the 3.3 V6 is fleet only and they want to sell you a higher trim to get the 3.0T engine.  Simple marketing.

The requirement for 20” polished aluminum wheels and cold weather package with the moonroof is a head scratcher but generally points to a commodity issue, CAFE (weight affects CAFE ratings) or ease of manufacturing.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

If that's true that's rather disappointing. I hope that's wrong. 

Really not too bad for a performance hybrid.

If they wanted great MPG, they could have used a less powerful setup, but that would have compromised performance needed for the Police Utility.

Just now, Trailhiker said:

If they wanted great MPG, they could have used a less powerful setup, but that would have compromised performance needed for the Police Utility.

This isn’t the performance hybrid.  It’s the 3.3L V6 hybrid.  It will have decent power but it’s clearly aimed at fuel economy.  Hopefully the 24 mpg rating was a typo.  You can get that in a 2.7LEB F150.

1 minute ago, Trailhiker said:

The Explorer isn't supposed to be a performance hybrid though, you're thinking of Aviator. 

On 1/16/2019 at 5:45 PM, akirby said:

That’s what is being reported.  24 mpg for the hybrid.

To be fair, that 24MPG is what is being reported for the Police Interceptor Hybrid. I don't know how applicable it is for the non-PI duty cycle and aerodynamics. 

Per the Detroit News article: "Ford expects the Interceptor hybrid — equipped with a 3.3-liter V-6 mated to a 10-speed transmission — to get 24 mpg, a 41 percent improvement over the outgoing 3.7-liter V-6 Interceptor."

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Len_A said:

Don't like the lack of leather in the XLT. Active-X material replaces leather in the XLT's - otherwise known as vinyl. Yuck. Leather standard on Limited, ST, and Platinum.

It doesn't replace leather in the XLTs - the XLT never had leather (in the previous gen).  Same as Ranger and F150. 

If you want leather you get the Lariat or the Limited.

6 hours ago, akirby said:

It doesn't replace leather in the XLTs - the XLT never had leather (in the previous gen).  Same as Ranger and F150. 

If you want leather you get the Lariat or the Limited.

2019 and 2018 Explorer XLT had leather available as part of the Comfort Package, which in turn, is part of Package 202A.

2019MY Explorer Order Guide, page 19.pdf

Edited by Len_A

Nope, your link shows Active-X seats with the Comfort package for 2019 not leather.  And the order guide says it changed.  

● Changed — Comfort Package seats are changed from Leather Seating Surfaces to ActiveX™ Seating Material

But apparently that was true for previous years.  

2 hours ago, akirby said:

Nope, your link shows Active-X seats with the Comfort package for 2019 not leather.  And the order guide says it changed.  

● Changed — Comfort Package seats are changed from Leather Seating Surfaces to ActiveX™ Seating Material

But apparently that was true for previous years.  

You're right. Was true for 2018. They can keep their Active-X. I hate vinyl.

And I'll add that bring back vinyl, under any name, is not a desirable change, in my book. I'd rather have cloth.

Edited by Len_A

• 2 weeks later...

Option packages on Limited are disappointing.  Looks like they are taking away the ability to get the multi-contour seats.  That's a real bummer for anyone looking at the Hybrid.  I still don't get why they aren't offering the hybrid in Platinum trim either.  I was counting on those massaging seats to convince my wife into giving up her XC90 T8 for the Explorer Hybrid.

13 minutes ago, alpha1847 said:

Option packages on Limited are disappointing.  Looks like they are taking away the ability to get the multi-contour seats.  That's a real bummer for anyone looking at the Hybrid.  I still don't get why they aren't offering the hybrid in Platinum trim either.  I was counting on those massaging seats to convince my wife into giving up her XC90 T8 for the Explorer Hybrid.

Bigger problem for me is I have told my wife her next car would be a plug in hybrid - currently she drives a 2017 Explorer Platinum.  Thus, the only option is the Lincoln Aviator GT.  But if you are going from the XC90 T8 the Aviator should be an easier sell.

1 hour ago, akirby said:

And she lets you get away with that?  I’d still be recovering in the hospital.

LOL.  Hey she gets to the pick the color.  Although in our family we follow Henry's creed - you can have any color you want as long as it is black.  I did take her to the LA auto show to see the Aviator in person.  It was an easy sell.  And my "dictate" is going to cost me -  having to pay for the GT version.  Just need to confirm the 30+ mile electric range.