last date able to order

U251

Thanks for the quick reply. My local dealer says I can still order one as of today 01.24.19 but they they want $500 and a week to find out for sure.

Something did not feel good about that ultimatum.

OK... I know about dealer's ability to search inventory but is there a way to search to be built and in transit units?

Run away from that dealer as fast as you can.

Go to the build and price site and there should be an option to have Ford find a vehicle for you.   They can search all dealers in stock and in the pipeline.

You can also search yourself within a 90 mile radius.  It will show you vehicles that are in transit but not the ones that haven’t been built yet.

2 minutes ago, U251 said:

Thanks for the quick reply. My local dealer says I can still order one as of today 01.24.19 but they they want $500 and a week to find out for sure.

Something did not feel good about that ultimatum.

OK... I know about dealer's ability to search inventory but is there a way to search to be built and in transit units?

Hi U251. That should not feel good on many levels..LOL

They tell you you can still order one.  Yet they want a $500 deposit and a week to find out if you can order one? Which is it? You can order one... or they need to find out if you can order one?

And they know if you can or not.  They have the same access to the Order bank as anyone here does.  Plus, theorizing that they are ignorant and bad at their jobs...all they would need to do is try to input an order while you are sitting there and see if it is accepted or not, which of course, it would not be.  That does not take $500 and a week.

Might want to avoid that Dealership in the future, if possible.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

Thanks again for all the info. I drive a Taurus now and am still in love with it. Wanted to buy a fresh last of breed this year but I was asleep at the switch.

Not in love with this dealer but they are closest for service so I try to maintain the relationship as difficult as it is sometimes. I'm picky in that I drive

Limited's without a moonroof and that usually means ordering but I will continue to work the problem.

Thank you so much for your feedback.

11 hours ago, U251 said:

Thanks again for all the info. I drive a Taurus now and am still in love with it. Wanted to buy a fresh last of breed this year but I was asleep at the switch.

Not in love with this dealer but they are closest for service so I try to maintain the relationship as difficult as it is sometimes. I'm picky in that I drive

Limited's without a moonroof and that usually means ordering but I will continue to work the problem.

Thank you so much for your feedback.

For what ever it is worth,  I decided to upgrade my 14 Taurus SEL with a 19 SHO P.P. (w/o moon roof). 

Order was placed in mid-October with small dealer.  Was notified mid-November that Ford Rep said it would NOT be built; but dealer left it in the order bank.  Then on 12/11/18, dealer called and said order status changed to previewing and there was a chance it might be scheduled.  Finally, a week later, I received a VIN and build week of 2/11/19!

Supposed to arrive mid-March.  (Will believe it when I see it.)

I guess my problem (order delay) was using the small dealer and their allocation?  Maybe commodity? I am curious if any one has insight on the delayed order acceptance?

20 minutes ago, jgonza5 said:

For what ever it is worth,  I decided to upgrade my 14 Taurus SEL with a 19 SHO P.P. (w/o moon roof). 

Order was placed in mid-October with small dealer.  Was notified mid-November that Ford Rep said it would NOT be built; but dealer left it in the order bank.  Then on 12/11/18, dealer called and said order status changed to previewing and there was a chance it might be scheduled.  Finally, a week later, I received a VIN and build week of 2/11/19!

Supposed to arrive mid-March.  (Will believe it when I see it.)

I guess my problem (order delay) was using the small dealer and their allocation?  Maybe commodity? I am curious if any one has insight on the delayed order acceptance?

If it's a small dealer then yeah, it was probably an allocation issue. Mid March sounds about right. Chicago isn't a plant that's generally known for shipping delays or other strange happenings that I'm aware of. 

My efforts today started with calling all levels of Ford Customer relations.

Business assistance Center 800.548.3212

Customer Relations 800.392.3673

My one basic question was: "When is Chicago Assembly ending production run of Taurus."

Amazingly no one could answer the question even after multiple sessions on hold for 3 to 5 minutes.

Called listed numbers for Chicago Assembly Plant but all led to automated answers without operator option.

I finally contacted the UAW (they were super fantastic to talk to) and their schedule is Taurus production finishes at the end of February. Change over to 2020 Explorer/Lincoln is thru the month of March. 2020 Explorer production begins in April. Reliable information but can be subject to change. Accurate as of today anyway.

Your SHO order fits that timeline and I wish you the best of luck!  Having a very nice version of the last of its kind is going to be extremely special. I would guess they try to take special care SHO owners. Especially the last SHO owners forever. (tearing up here)

Good to hear of another advocate of no moon roof. The UAW person said that a Limited without a moon roof requires some special handling. The person didn't say because I didn't ask but, that may be true for SHO's too.

42 minutes ago, U251 said:

My efforts today started with calling all levels of Ford Customer relations.

Business assistance Center 800.548.3212

Customer Relations 800.392.3673

My one basic question was: "When is Chicago Assembly ending production run of Taurus."

Amazingly no one could answer the question even after multiple sessions on hold for 3 to 5 minutes.

Called listed numbers for Chicago Assembly Plant but all led to automated answers without operator option.

I finally contacted the UAW (they were super fantastic to talk to) and their schedule is Taurus production finishes at the end of February. Change over to 2020 Explorer/Lincoln is thru the month of March. 2020 Explorer production begins in April. Reliable information but can be subject to change. Accurate as of today anyway.

Your SHO order fits that timeline and I wish you the best of luck!  Having a very nice version of the last of its kind is going to be extremely special. I would guess they try to take special care SHO owners. Especially the last SHO owners forever. (tearing up here)

Good to hear of another advocate of no moon roof. The UAW person said that a Limited without a moon roof requires some special handling. The person didn't say because I didn't ask but, that may be true for SHO's too.

For future reference, ice-capades posts all the production changeover schedules here on this forum. Check in the production and sales section. 

1 hour ago, U251 said:

I saw that.....What does "Balanced Out" translate into?

Hi U251.  Balanced out essentially means the model years production schedule/scheduling is finished. If you want a new Taurus of any kind, you will need to find one which is or will be in Dealer stock.

On a side note...just to avoid any confusion: Although it is a moot point here, there is no "special handling" to get a vehicle with or without a moonroof (or any other option). What is in the Order Guide is all there is as far as standard features, options and option package choices. It is as simple as can it be ordered that way or not. So if a Limited comes standard with a moonroof, you can't get it without a moonroof (random example). 

I had that situation when I ordered my 2018 Lincoln MKZ.  I wanted the Black Label trim level, but to get the engine, options and option packages I wanted, it came packaged with the moonroof.  My only choice would be to eliminate the option package that included the moonroof, or keep the option package and have a moonroof. If I recall correctly, it was the Luxury Package that forced me to have the moonroof for the other features.  So I went with the Reserve trim level instead, since I could get everything I absolutely wanted, minus the moonroof.  I did have to lose a few of the Black Label niceties, but got all the important features I wanted. In my case, no t being forced to have a moonroof was more important than the minor Black Label only features I lost. And Lincoln lost a Black Label sale along with the higher profit.

Enough about me...let's talk about you again...LOL: So there is no "special handling" to get things which are not available in the Order Guide for a vehicle.  That goes for the Taurus SHO, Taurus and all other Ford vehicles. Just do not want you or anyone else to think they can go to a Dealership and order something "special", which is not available in the Order Guide.

In this case, if a Taurus SHO with the options and option package you wanted came with a moonroof, there would be no "special handling" to order one without a moonroof.

Hope my explanation about "special handling" is clear and understandable.

Good luck with your quest. :shift:

Edited by bbf2530
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey Hi bbf2530:

Many thanks for clearing up my confusion. I purchase cars only every few years and it seems when the time comes around I need  to reschool myself on "How its done today" each time. I will be doing a search of stock units every few days watching for a match to show up. I use autoblog.com and a call to a Ford dealer but is there a way to search for an in transit unit and/or a scheduled to be built unit? I have not been able come up with a way to run that kind of a search.

Do I understand you to "just say no" to moon roofs too? I HIGH5 :) you on that.   It's so annoying to need to explain to salespersons that a moon roof is a deal breaker.

Many thanks for your input.

58 minutes ago, U251 said:

Hey Hi bbf2530:

Many thanks for clearing up my confusion. I purchase cars only every few years and it seems when the time comes around I need  to reschool myself on "How its done today" each time. I will be doing a search of stock units every few days watching for a match to show up. I use autoblog.com and a call to a Ford dealer but is there a way to search for an in transit unit and/or a scheduled to be built unit? I have not been able come up with a way to run that kind of a search.

Do I understand you to "just say no" to moon roofs too? I HIGH5 :) you on that.   It's so annoying to need to explain to salespersons that a moon roof is a deal breaker.

Many thanks for your input.

Hi U251.  You are very welcome and yes...lol...I just say no to moonroofs. Forgot to specifically mention that in my long-winded explanation. Don't particularly care for them. Plus they take away a little too much headroom for my driving comfort. In the MKZ and most other cars, I have to lower the seat to the point that it is like sitting in a bathtub, if I don't want my hair touching the headliner. Besides, I always Factory Order my cars.  Will not purchase one off the lot. So no moonroof makes that almost mandatory nowadays.

I do not know of a simple way to search in-transit vehicles. Perhaps one of the Ford Salespeople members here will be able to help you with that.  Some Dealership websites will sometimes show in-transit vehicles, but it is hit and miss and an inefficient way to search.

What I would recommend is stopping by all your local Ford Dealerships and speaking with the Sales Managers if possible (not the sales staff). As many Dealerships as you are willing to drive to. The more Dealerships you get working for you, the better.  Let them know exactly what you are looking for, your deal makers, your deal breakers, and that they have a guaranteed sale if they can get something as close to what you want as possiblr.  Keep in mind you will probably need to settle for something that is not exactly what you were looking for, since the chances of finding it now are dwindling. But I think you know that already. If they are willing to search, I would do some preliminary price negotiating (can't finalize a price when you don't have a car to negotiate on yet though) so you don't get a nasty surprise later. Do not let them try to charge you more for looking.  It is not hard work...lol

Keep us updated on your search and good luck.

Edited by bbf2530

6 hours ago, bbf2530 said:

Hi U251.  You are very welcome and yes...lol...I just say no to moonroofs. Forgot to specifically mention that in my long-winded explanation. Don't particularly care for them. Plus they take away a little too much headroom for my driving comfort. In the MKZ and most other cars, I have to lower the seat to the point that it is like sitting in a bathtub, if I don't want my hair touching the headliner. Besides, I always Factory Order my cars.  Will not purchase one off the lot. So no moonroof makes that almost mandatory nowadays.

I do not know of a simple way to search in-transit vehicles. Perhaps one of the Ford Salespeople members here will be able to help you with that.  Some Dealership websites will sometimes show in-transit vehicles, but it is hit and miss and an inefficient way to search.

What I would recommend is stopping by all your local Ford Dealerships and speaking with the Sales Managers if possible (not the sales staff). As many Dealerships as you are willing to drive to. The more Dealerships you get working for you, the better.  Let them know exactly what you are looking for, your deal makers, your deal breakers, and that they have a guaranteed sale if they can get something as close to what you want as possiblr.  Keep in mind you will probably need to settle for something that is not exactly what you were looking for, since the chances of finding it now are dwindling. But I think you know that already. If they are willing to search, I would do some preliminary price negotiating (can't finalize a price when you don't have a car to negotiate on yet though) so you don't get a nasty surprise later. Do not let them try to charge you more for looking.  It is not hard work...lol

Keep us updated on your search and good luck.

Our dealership website filters the inventory to show only "in stock" vehicles which makes it easier for me to manage the online inventory, in particular regarding the vehicle photos. Unlike the majority of dealerships, I shoot 35-40 photos for every vehicle in stock, new and used. Including "in transit" inventory makes the inventory appear larger but with all the shipping issues with certain vehicle lines it's difficult to know when some of those "in transit" vehicles will actually arrive. There's usually a delay of a few days before vehicles appear online at our site because the vehicle status has to be updated in Ford's systems showing that they've been delivered and then the updates have to propagate through the rest of Ford's systems. Vehicles ordered as a "Retail" won't appear online unless they remain in dealer "stock" for at least 30 days. 

The Vehicle Locator system that Dealers use allows us to search all vehicle status... in stock, in transit, in plant, days in inventory, etc. The search can be as specific as the user wants (Model, Body Code, Package, Powertrain, Color/Trim, Options Included, Options Excluded, Etc.) and be default searches the closest 300 Dealers and can be expanded in the "Next 300 Dealers" be distance. The Vehicle Locator also provides information on the days since manufacture, days in stock and the Window Stickers & Vehicle Invoices. The system also allows Dealers to "advertise" vehicles that they want to "move" or make available to other Dealers with reduced pricing. 

Hope this helps!

I found a 2018 new unit (1FAHP2J89JG108789) with 50 miles on odometer. Limited without moon roof. Close to my desired configuration except its AWD. Not a deal breaker thou. The up side to a 2018 is it still has power tilt/telescope (manual in 2019) and a rear window screen. Power tilt/telescope[Oh YES],  rear widow screen[Who cares], but this unit has been on the lot for 380 days. Other than pricing, what are some of the negatives to buying a unit that has sat for 380 days.

7 minutes ago, U251 said:

I found a 2018 new unit (1FAHP2J89JG108789) with 50 miles on odometer. Limited without moon roof. Close to my desired configuration except its AWD. Not a deal breaker thou. The up side to a 2018 is it still has power tilt/telescope (manual in 2019) and a rear window screen. Power tilt/telescope[Oh YES],  rear widow screen[Who cares], but this unit has been on the lot for 380 days. Other than pricing, what are some of the negatives to buying a unit that has sat for 380 days.

A little bit of rust on the brake rotors but otherwise none. 

1 hour ago, U251 said:

Hi U251.  Essentially none, other than some surface rust on the rotors, as fuzzy stated above. Take the car on a long test drive (not an around the block once or twice, salesperson test drive). Ask the Dealership if you can take it home for the night to fully drive it. I have been able to do that, even with Dealerships who did not know me, where I had never purchased before.

If you decide to purchase, have them change the oil, the wipers and preferably replace the battery. Of course, bring all of that up after you have negotiated your price (if they don't offer to do so on their own) and go from there. And give the tires a good look.  Sitting like that for a year can lead to quicker dry rot and cracking. Also, check the engine compartment with the hood open and from underneath as carefully as you can, to try and ensure there are no animal nests.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

Edited by bbf2530

All advise very well noted and appreciated. Unfortunately the unit is 1000 miles away from me and if I were to purchase I would need to pay $1000 to truck transport to me.

https://www.greenway.com/vehicle-details/new-2018-ford-taurus-limited-1FAHP2J89JG108789

$33,480 price tag does get my attention but may be something to be suspicious of also. I need to chew on this one some more. Frustrating indeed.