• Custom Search

CGIron

Cummins in a Ford? Sooner than you knows?

http:// https://www.svtperformance.com/threads/new-cummins-6-7l-hits-1-000-lb-ft-could-it-be-coming-to-a-ford-near-you.1170459/

So what does all this mean for Ford owners? First, you can guarantee Powerstroke will jump to over 1,000 lb-ft of torque once the 10R140 transmission is introduced in the Super Duty. Most of the upgrades made to the Cummins are already baked into the 6.7L V8 PSD architecture. Second, there is also the possibility that we may see this new Cummins ISB find its way into the Medium-Duty Ford F-650/750 trucks. A red-painted ISB was the diesel of choice for many years in the big Fords going all the way back to the 12-Valve engine (which were grey/black) in the old F-800. When the Cummins marketing guys asked who I was shooting coverage for and I mentioned a Ford based publication, they said I should like some of their future applications. So that coy comment could mean something quite interesting, or nothing at all. We'll have to wait and see. At the end of the day, competition makes the breed stronger and I expect this new Cummins to be good for everyone.

I need a new motor in my 2008 F-350 and thinking about a Cummins swap. Anybody on here have an opinion on the cost  for the swap vs. finding another 6.4 .

The block is damaged so I can't rebuild it.

17 minutes ago, LongHaulTransport said:

I need a new motor in my 2008 F-350 and thinking about a Cummins swap. Anybody on here have an opinion on the cost  for the swap vs. finding another 6.4 .

The block is damaged so I can't rebuild it.

DESTROKED.COM

FYI: TS5 stand alone controllers don't work worth a shit. 

Edited by YT90SC

What is a TS5 controller? I don't see that on the parts list...

Is that for an Allison? I'm not going that route.

Edited by LongHaulTransport

5 hours ago, LongHaulTransport said:

What is a TS5 controller? I don't see that on the parts list...

Is that for an Allison? I'm not going that route.

Torque-Shift 5. The automatic trans behind 6.0 and 6.4L engines in Ford trucks. 

I am assuming you mean a manual trans then? The ZF-6 in a Ford is *VERY* expensive when they eventually break (and it will), so it would be best to just get the engine and trans as a whole, rather than buying adaptors and stuff for the ZF to mate to the Cummins.  

Yeah I have the manual trans but I didn't realize they are weak.  Never had a problem with this one.

The Dodge 5 speed behind the Cummins is supposed to be a good trans, but I don't know about putting it in the Ford.

I guess I should do some more research.

3 hours ago, LongHaulTransport said:

I guess I should do some more research. just get a reman 6.4L or a 6.4L out of a wrecked truck.

FTFY.

Honestly, if you are coming on a forum like this to ask the questions like this, you probably don't need to be making a Fummins out of your truck.  No offense intended, it's just a pretty technical swap that it sounds like you may not be prepared for.

Probably right.

I really wasn't looking for technical info,  just some real world experience or results from someone doing the swap.

Not some youtube channel or someone trying to sell parts.

Probably just sell the truck. I am not putting another 6.4 in it.

Edited by LongHaulTransport

56 minutes ago, LongHaulTransport said:

Probably right.

I really wasn't looking for technical info,  just some real world experience or results from someone doing the swap.

Not some youtube channel or someone trying to sell parts.

Probably just sell the truck. I am not putting another 6.4 in it.

Curious, how many miles on it before the 6.4L gave up?  I had 75k on mine when I sold it, and the guy that bought it deleted it and had 125k or so last I heard.

1 hour ago, fordmantpw said:

Curious, how many miles on it before the 6.4L gave up?  I had 75k on mine when I sold it, and the guy that bought it deleted it and had 125k or so last I heard.

I have a friend who runs a diesel shop. He says they’re usually a mixed bag to how long they last, but they usually do better when they’re deleted. 

8 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I have a friend who runs a diesel shop. He says they’re usually a mixed bag to how long they last, but they usually do better when they’re deleted. 

Yeah, if I would have kept it, I would have deleted it.  I didn't want to deal with the hassle (and the legality of it all), so decided to sell it.

"You may fix a 6.0 but replace a 6.4."

You can delete and reduce the chance of failure, but the 6.4 is still very prone to fuel system, turbo, rocker arm, and cracked piston issues.   

Fordmanptw, I'd NEVER suggest a used 6.4 assembly unless you can verify maintenance and/or plan on putting a new fuel system in it before you install. Too many variables and too much work/money involved. It almost always is buying someone else's headache. 

4 hours ago, YT90SC said:

"You may fix a 6.0 but replace a 6.4."

You can delete and reduce the chance of failure, but the 6.4 is still very prone to fuel system, turbo, rocker arm, and cracked piston issues.   

Fordmanptw, I'd NEVER suggest a used 6.4 assembly unless you can verify maintenance and/or plan on putting a new fuel system in it before you install. Too many variables and too much work/money involved. It almost always is buying someone else's headache. 

Good to know!

Don't forget! Ford owns Cummings.. Oh wait... Bad rumors  😉