Ordered: 2020 Aviator

Does anyone know if you can change an order once it’s been placed without moving to the back of the line?  I ordered in March and build date is end of August and I want to add the luxury package.  Window sticker hasn’t been released yet but I have a vin #

1 hour ago, Bradp123 said:

Does anyone know if you can change an order once it’s been placed without moving to the back of the line?  I ordered in March and build date is end of August and I want to add the luxury package.  Window sticker hasn’t been released yet but I have a vin #

If you have a build date it has been scheduled.  You can ask, but chances are extremely low, depending on whether the commodity is available and your regional rep has pull.  Typically scheduled builds are not changeable.  .  If you are near a big dealer, he could get you another pretty quick.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Bellanca said:

She’s in!!! But they have to do the recall on it, I don’t know how long that will take. I was hoping to pick it up today since it’s my birthday. 

Happy Birthday

Sorry about the issues, did he say whether they were factory blemish or handling abuse?  I'd look at it before they do anything to it.  

9 minutes ago, Bellanca said:

Factory blemishes. He said multiple panels missing base coats 

Hmmm, he'd have to show them, not sure if CAP is using two-wet process now, but you only have a primer, then color and clear are shot together.  I'd ask for a better explanation, sounds wishy washy.  I don't think anyone shoots base coats anymore.

1 minute ago, Bellanca said:

Maybe he misspoke or I didn’t hear correctly. All I know is that it needs repainted. I’m tempted to take it now and then have them repaint it once the paint comes in. God knows how long that will take. 

If the paint is that bad, it needs to be returned.  I would never take a brand new dealer painted vehicle over factory paint.  I just checked and Chicago did update their paint facility this spring when they converted the machinery.  The two-wet process is a harder surface and less prone to scratches than a typical paint at a body shop.  I know you have been waiting, but they would either replace it or I'd walk away.  If they insist on repaint, have them include ceramic coat for free.  Maybe they just want you to walk away so they can sell it to someone else.  A small fish eye or similar blemish may get through, but needing a repaint, never heard of that on a high end vehicle line  THE other thing, when the paint comes in?  What kind of body shop is this?  My friend has a large rebuild operation and has DuPont paint mixing stations.  You only need the color code and about 20 minutes and you can have every paint out there.  You open the correct base paint, put it in the machine, put in the code, a few squirts, take out the can, put it on the shaker for a minute, strain into the paint gun and shoot away.  

• Like 3

Sorry to hear this. Very concerning for all of us who are waiting on our new Aviators.   After the atrocious obvious quality issues on my factory order 2016 MKX I will be thoroughly inspecting my Aviator before allowing the dealership to change ownership. 

But alas I’m closing in on 12 weeks since order with very little to show for it!

• Like 2

I'm on six months since my order of a 2020 Explorer Platinum with nothing to show for it!  Twelve weeks is nothing.  I'm in a do loop.  The Ford Service Team tells me to contact my dealer for status and my dealer tells me to contact Ford.  I have the VIN and it shows up as "In Production, Sent Off Site".  I guess that means it was shipped to Flat Rock for remediation.

To be fair, job 1 wasn't until 5/6 so retail orders would not have been expected to ship until early June.   Mid to Late June would have been the earliest you could have reasonably expected to take delivery, so that's only 3 months late.

Not saying you didn't get hosed, but 6 months is a bit of an exaggeration.

4 minutes ago, akirby said:

To be fair, job 1 wasn't until 5/6 so retail orders would not have been expected to ship until early June.   Mid to Late June would have been the earliest you could have reasonably expected to take delivery, so that's only 3 months late.

Not saying you didn't get hosed, but 6 months is a bit of an exaggeration.

He never said it was 6 months late, he clearly say's it has been 6 months since it was ordered, and was built on June 10th.

HRG

14 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

He never said it was 6 months late, he clearly say's it has been 6 months since it was ordered, and was built on June 10th.

HRG

Ordering 3 months prior to production and then complaining about how long it's been ordered is silly.   He should just complain that it was built in June and won't arrive until October.  That is the ridiculous part not the order time.

16 minutes ago, akirby said:

Ordering 3 months prior to production and then complaining about how long it's been ordered is silly.   He should just complain that it was built in June and won't arrive until October.  That is the ridiculous part not the order time.

Agreed, I was just clarifying when the 6-month clock started for him. He never exaggerated the timeframe.  Of course, now that he's 3+ months after build, it IS getting a bit ridiculous.

HRG