Reliable Source Told Me Rear-Drive Lincoln Coupe and Sedan Coming Soon

The same person who told me a year ago in Detroit that suicide doors would show up on Continental (and they did) and that the Mustang platform was made available to Lincoln told me more last week at NAIAS.  There will be a coupe and sedan version of the Mustang-derived, rear-drive model.  He said NY Auto Show should be very interesting for Lincoln.  It may be the debut of a concept or production Corsair or I'm thinking that this new rear-drive model which would replace the MKZ could be the big thing in New York.  

• Like 7

Great news thanks! Well they did show the dealer sales force sketches of cars (aka not cuvs) last June (as mentioned here) at a sales force presentation in Detroit, would be really odd if they did that for no apparent gain, so this news makes sense. 

If they announce this in NY that would cap off an already impressive auto show season, and the Corsair will surely be in NY as well. Plus, I get to attend press days, so I can’t wait for April to come!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

If anything the only saving grace is the Chinese market-these products would be primarly for them and we might get them in limited numbers. 

Guess we will see...

Yeah, as awesome as it sounds, RWD sports luxury cars didn't get Cadillac anywhere here in the US, I'm not sure why anyone would think it would get Lincoln anywhere either. Learn from other's mistakes and move on.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, falconlover 1 said:

I think it's a matter of time for us to see a 4-door coupe / coupe/sedan  based on the CD6 platform. I refuse to think that CD6 will only be for two vehicles: Aviator / Explorer

It also might be some sort of white space vehicle too..not exactly a sedan, but not a CUV either. 

5 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Yeah, as awesome as it sounds, RWD sports luxury cars didn't get Cadillac anywhere here in the US, I'm not sure why anyone would think it would get Lincoln anywhere either. Learn from other's mistakes and move on.

Well at least Lincoln has a good/great CUV/SUV lineup by the end of this year-I don't see any issue adding additional product (as long as its profitable) to the lineup, but I also know the market in NA would be small for it also. 

4 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

It also might be some sort of white space vehicle too..not exactly a sedan, but not a CUV either. 

A high ride sedan... with rear hatch. Something like the european Mondeo Hatch, but with more high, as the Fiesta or Focus Active.

I say make a new Zephyr as a 5 door coupe (think Audi A5 4 door hatch) making it practical still and sporty but elegant.

Then offer a...wait for it...4 door convertible based on this! Think about it...in the general public Lincoln is remembered for the 1960’s Continentals with suicide doors and being 4 door rag tops...well they brought one back already, why not tap into the other iconic Lincoln feature? 

1 minute ago, spudz64 said:

I say make a new Zephyr as a 5 door coupe (think Audi A5 4 door hatch) making it practical still and sporty but elegant.

Then offer a...wait for it...4 door convertible based on this! Think about it...in the general public Lincoln is remembered for the 1960’s Continentals with suicide doors and being 4 door rag tops...well they brought one back already, why not tap into the other iconic Lincoln feature? 

Something along the lines of an Audi A4 Allroad would work for me-maybe add a tiny notchback to it.

45 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

If anything the only saving grace is the Chinese market-these products would be primarly for them and we might get them in limited numbers. 

Guess we will see...

I expect we would get them in whatever numbers actually sell, which might be limited (or not). But if the Chinese market can make the product profitable overall, that would make it more than a loss-leading "halo" vehicle and it would get the kind of support from Ford/Lincoln that it deserves.

26 minutes ago, Anthony said:

This RWD luxury performance car would likely be electric, which is different from what Cadillac has been trying to do.

Edited by Gurgeh
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Anthony said:

It's one model, not 4 and they're doing it in addition to and after getting the utilities squared away.  And as others mentioned it would be electrified in some way.

• Like 4

Honestly this makes more sense than trying to keep the mkz going since it's now on a dead-man-walking platform. They can use CD6 or next mustang (which could be the same thing?) instead of an old orphan fwd platform. Going RWD will only help move performance and driving dynamics to what's expected from a luxury make. I see this as a win/win way to continue to serve whatever market still exists for luxury sedans.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anthony said:

Here's the difference though, Lincoln isn't putting all of their eggs in that basket like Cadillac did. They’re doing it right by building a very strong foundation of volume product first then adding the incremental toys. Assuming this is true at least. 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo
  • Like 4

Wonderful news and I hope it’s true. If Lincoln can support two sedans and one coupe/convt, name them Zephyr, Continental, and Mark IX. If it can only support one sedan...name it Continental. If it can support one sedan and one “4 door coupe” name the first Continental and the other Mark IX. 

Outside of Town Car and Navigator; the most famous Lincoln nameplates are: Continental, Zephyr, and the Mark-Series. With Lincoln embracing names (and classy sounding names at that), they must continue those names on appropriate products if possible. 

Just now, Jqa1824 said:

Wonderful news and I hope it’s true. If Lincoln can support two sedans and one coupe/convt, name them Zephyr, Continental, and Mark IX. If it can only support one sedan...name it Continental. If it can support one sedan and one “4 door coupe” name the first Continental and the other Mark IX. 

Outside of Town Car and Navigator; the most famous Lincoln nameplates are: Continental, Zephyr, and the Mark-Series. With Lincoln embracing names (and classy sounding names at that), they must continue those names on appropriate products if possible. 

Mark series was never a "stand alone" name....it was always Continental Mark II, III, IV, V, Vi, VII and finally VIII....

19 minutes ago, twintornados said:

Mark series was never a "stand alone" name....it was always Continental Mark II, III, IV, V, Vi, VII and finally VIII....

Actually the Continental name was dropped in 1986, so it was just the Mark VII. The Mark VIII was just that not a Continental, since that was on a completely different platform at the time 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_Continental_Mark_VII

21 minutes ago, twintornados said:

They dropped Continental in 1986 and from then on it was known as the Lincoln Mark VII and Mark VIII.

Ok, and I stand corrected....going forward, they should return to the practice of calling the four door version (sedan, hatch, etc..) Continental, if there is going to be a two door version, call it the Continental Mark IX and any proposed convertible version can be named Continental Zephyr. 

Edited by twintornados