Ford adding overtime Ranger production as first-month sales hit 1,200

59 minutes ago, jasonj80 said:

I'd message Ford and let them know about that "Dealer Markup" with the dealer name. They don't take that well when dealers do that. 

?...Ford doesn't care at all...that said 10k on a Ranger????? THATS worth reporting just for the sheer idiocy.... 

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

I got to sit in 2 different models Rangers this weekend. Seemed like a nice little truck. To an enthusiast who knows, you can tell it uses some ROW components not originally intended for the US, but I doubt the average buyer will know or care. So in that sense, the interior was nice. The first one I sat in was an XLT....seemed nice inside, I didn't look at the sticker. The second was a Lariat model which had a nicer interior, stickered for $44K before the sleazy dealer "new vehicle markup" of $10K and their "paint protection package" that brought it to $55K.

Damn I hope no one is stupid enough to pay for it...

I get it if its something brand new and you want a show piece for a couple weeks till inventory builds up, but still...

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, akirby said:

It's optional on every F150 except the King Ranch 601a and Platinum 701a (comes with the tailgate step).

Hmmm... nevermind then.

1 hour ago, twintornados said:

I hate when dealers pull that crap....and I hope he sits on that Ranger for a long long time....

14 minutes ago, Deanh said:

?...Ford doesn't care at all...that said 10k on a Ranger????? THATS worth reporting just for the sheer idiocy.... 

11 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Damn I hope no one is stupid enough to pay for it...

I get it if its something brand new and you want a show piece for a couple weeks till inventory builds up, but still...

Well, they said it was the first 2 they'd received.  I assume the XLT also had the same markup, but didn't look at the sticker on it.

Yeah, this dealer used to be AutoNation, and within the last year got bought by a group called Grieco that has a few dealers in the area.  They also bought the Chevy dealer across the street from AutoNation.  I don't like the new group - this is the same group that (at another dealer, mind you) wanted me to fill out a questionnaire asking things like credit score and monthly payment range I'm looking for just to test drive a car.

The next nearest dealer is 15 mins away, and this one is a few blocks away, so it's where I go for service/warranty issues.  The service dept seems ok - that's actually what I went for, to get the Mustang's oil changed, but they started closing at 2:30 on Saturdays recently, they were closed, but I went into the showroom to check out Ranger.

They also had an Edge ST in there too - looked good.

25 minutes ago, Deanh said:

You'd be surprised at what they care about in instances like this, could affect future allocation at the dealership. Don't think Ford doesn't notice when someone is local to one dealer and goes to another dealer. All part of that crazy data mining that is going on, I'm sure some OEM will think of a way to make compensation tied to this data in the future. 

10 minutes ago, jasonj80 said:

You'd be surprised at what they care about in instances like this, could affect future allocation at the dealership. Don't think Ford doesn't notice when someone is local to one dealer and goes to another dealer. All part of that crazy data mining that is going on, I'm sure some OEM will think of a way to make compensation tied to this data in the future. 

If Ford has some subjective allocation that they don't have to explain then they might get away with it.  But they can't objectively punish one dealer vs. another based on selling prices and markups - that is 100% against the law in almost all states thanks to franchise laws.

Ford has tried many times to reward good dealers.  Ford tried that with blue oval certified about 15 years ago.  Good dealers would get an extra 0.5% holdback or something like that while the other dealers got what they're getting today (no reduction).   Dealers sued and Ford lost.  Sad that they have so little control and their name is on every dealership.

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, akirby said:

If Ford has some subjective allocation that they don't have to explain then they might get away with it.  But they can't objectively punish one dealer vs. another based on selling prices and markups - that is 100% against the law in almost all states thanks to franchise laws.

Ford has tried many times to reward good dealers.  Ford tried that with blue oval certified about 15 years ago.  Good dealers would get an extra 0.5% holdback or something like that while the other dealers got what they're getting today (no reduction).   Dealers sued and Ford lost.  Sad that they have so little control and their name is on every dealership.

it was all linked to CSI and was in the form of "trunk money. Same is going on now, theres also $ linked to the % of consumers that are linked up with FordPass, before that it was those that were linked to Sync, before that the %s of e-mail address's.... holdbacks do not differ between dealers....

12 minutes ago, akirby said:

There are many ways dealers can be rewarded that can't be quantified and cases would be dismissed. Approval of after an expired warranty claim for a special customer, when inventory is pushed out you might get a few more desirable units for your market, or first choice etc. 

30 minutes ago, jasonj80 said:

beg to differ there mate, one dealer here has outrageous addendums on Raptors...AND he also has the biggest allocation....Addendums are nothing to do with Ford at all, that's the dealers choice. Heck, we could add a bedliner and charge $2000 for it if we wanted...Ive seen crazier...

3 hours ago, akirby said:

That's stupid. They wouldn't have a job or business if ford wasn't building cars for them to sell.

Isn't it awesome when government red tape rewards and protects bad business over good business?  Thanks government ?

19 hours ago, Anthony said:

I love my Ranger... but hell if would have paid MSRP, much less $10k more than MSRP.

finally got to drive one...little rocket...only gfripes...agricultural sound at idle. But that was it....interesting the rangers Fan is not electric...clutches again...wonder what the thinking was on that...I think its electric in every other 2.3 application..as for markups, things are going to go two ways, with ever decreasing margins youll have deqlers not discounting as much, or discounting and putting the screws down in Finance in the form of add ons. A LOADED $466 Ranger has but $2000 "wiggle room" between MSRP and invoice...sadly this is happening across the board and the biggest savings is becoming in the form of Rebates....

Edited by Deanh

19 hours ago, probowler said:

That's stupid. They wouldn't have a job or business if ford wasn't building cars for them to sell.

Isn't it awesome when government red tape rewards and protects bad business over good business?  Thanks government ?

Who pushed for the franchise laws?

8 minutes ago, MY93SHO said:

Who pushed for the franchise laws?

This was discussed on Autoline After Hours a few years back.  After WW2, GM, Ford and Chrysler (and others) set up their own factory dealers to sell whatever vehicles the factory made too much of.  The independent dealers objected because there was no way they could compete with the factory stores.  The Dealers Association decided to pass franchise laws on a state-by-state basis.  So dealers from each state lobbied their state representatives/senators to pass franchise laws preventing the establishment of factory stores.  That's why there are state dealer franchise laws and not one overall federal franchise law.  

Edited by mackinaw

8 minutes ago, mackinaw said:

This was discussed on Autoline After Hours a few years back.  After WW2, GM, Ford and Chrysler (and others) set up their own factory dealers to sell whatever vehicles the factory made too much of.  The independent dealers objected because there was no way they could compete with the factory stores.  The Dealers Association decided to pass franchise laws on a state-by-state basis.  So dealers from each state lobbied their state representatives/senators to pass franchise laws preventing the establishment of factory stores.

Interesting - I had not heard that before.  They could have passed mutually beneficial laws that also protected the mfr from bad dealer behavior but they chose to make them completely one sided.