I think I messed up!!??

allritecoach

Went out and started my wife's 2012 Edge this morning and the temperature was -17.  Warmed car up for 15 minutes and went to move it and the brakes were froze.  Wouldn't back up so I went forward and with a little gas it broke free.  As I tried to back it out of the garage the trans started to slip but was able to get it out.  When I went to go forward it acted like it was going in and out of gear and slipping.  Put it in reverse and backed up ok, not perfect.  So I pulled up again to the same issues as before.  So I backed it into the garage and parked and drove her to work like I knew I should have anyways.  Anyone care to guess what I may done/messed up this morning?  car has 113,000 miles.  assuming this won't be a cheap fix.

You didn't have to give it much gas to break the frozen brakes free.   That wouldn't hurt the transmission.   What ever happened was not something YOU did.    I would try it again when you get home.  Hopefully, you can drive it and warm it up.   Check the fluid level or have a shop check it for you using the appropriate procedure.    

31 minutes ago, allritecoach said:

Went out and started my wife's 2012 Edge this morning and the temperature was -17.  Warmed car up for 15 minutes and went to move it and the brakes were froze.  Wouldn't back up so I went forward and with a little gas it broke free.  As I tried to back it out of the garage the trans started to slip but was able to get it out.  When I went to go forward it acted like it was going in and out of gear and slipping.  Put it in reverse and backed up ok, not perfect.  So I pulled up again to the same issues as before.  So I backed it into the garage and parked and drove her to work like I knew I should have anyways.  Anyone care to guess what I may done/messed up this morning?  car has 113,000 miles.  assuming this won't be a cheap fix.

Start with a fluid flush...fixes 90% of issues. 

I'd wait to see what it is like once the trans is warmed up or the weather gets warmer.  Transmissions are full of fluid that gets mighty sloppy / thick in cold weather and especially in extreme cold weather.  It may be absolutely nothing.  Hope it works out for you.

Many, MANY years ago, while working in Transmission engineering, I saw a video showing the output of a typical transmission pump, trying to pump -20F fluid.  This was long before synthetics existed.  The pump speed was about 2000 RPM (high idle).  The oil first coming out looked like Jello being pushed through an extruding die !  The amazing thing was, within less than 1 minute the oil was flowing at a near normal rate.

The point is, gear pumps add a lot of heat !

Extreme temperatures make vehicles act weird. Unusual noises and behavior at that temperature would not be abnormal. I agree as to see what happens when it warms up a bit. It maybe something that you need to drive it for a few minutes to get fluid warming up and flowing correctly. 6f50 is a good reliable trans so don’t count it out yet. Range sensors and speed sensors can be troublesome and cause concerns. I doubt you did any damage, if it’s damaged, it was already going to break. 

• Like 1