Industry Sales Number for January 2019

2 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Tesla Model 3, like other Tesla brand automobiles, is a luxury car by any definition. 

Tesla model 3 is an expensive electric car. It has nothing to be called "luxury" vehicle.  Is like a 60000$ trash truck... expensive, but not luxury...

5 hours ago, falconlover 1 said:

Luxury vehicle? ha ha ha ha....  the interior of my refrigerator looks better than this....

model-3-dashboard-head-on-view.jpeg

Although  I agree with you that this doesn't look like "luxury" to me, the younger generation view things differently.  My son has a Tesla Model 3 with the dual motors and loves it.  He doesn't want any more in the interior.  I suspect that a number of the under 40 crowd would agree.  Many of his peers in LA have Tesla's.  These are all dual 6 figure income households.  It is a different mindset.  I am still old school I like the interior on the new Aviator. My son would prefer to tell how great the autopilot works and how he never has to go to gas stations. Regardless it seems clear that Tesla has been a disruptive factor and other manufactures should probably be paying attention. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, msm859 said:

Although  I agree with you that this doesn't look like "luxury" to me, the younger generation view things differently.  My son has a Tesla Model 3 with the dual motors and loves it.  He doesn't want any more in the interior.  I suspect that a number of the under 40 crowd would agree.  Many of his peers in LA have Tesla's.  These are all dual 6 figure income households.  It is a different mindset.  I am still old school I like the interior on the new Aviator. My son would prefer to tell how great the autopilot works and how he never has to go to gas stations. Regardless it seems clear that Tesla has been a disruptive factor and other manufactures should probably be paying attention. 

You live in California.  See the thread in the "Competing Products" sub-forum about "Polar Vortex not kind to Tesla's" to see how cold weather and ice are affecting Model 3's (hint:  buyers aren't happy).

Hold now...Ive been following Tesla for a while now because I've been contemplating buying one of them. They by NO MEANS, call themselves a luxury carmaker....Yes, they sell in the higher end, but I haven't seen ANYTHING from them personally, where they call themselves LUXURY by any means. That's a fact.  I have read automotive magazines try to throw them, into that pool but they are not.

To add, I remember MANY years ago an article that Robert Lane wrote (Back in the day), where he used the average transaction prices of Lincolns back then, and in reality, they sold at higher averages than many "luxury" automakers, and it made sense.

Whether Luxury is measured at a transaction price, an item (leather), we can throw a monkey wrench and call the F150 a luxury vehicle at the prices it sells....

19 minutes ago, ANTAUS said:

I haven't seen ANYTHING from them personally, where they call themselves LUXURY by any means. That's a fact.

Yes sir. Tesla's philosophy is completely different from other carmakers. As you said, they don't advertise themselves a luxury or premium automaker. Maybe they mention luxury cars somewhere deep in their SEC filings.

Elon Musk said on 60 Minutes last year "The whole point of Tesla is to accelerate the advent of electric vehicles and sustainable transport and trying to help the environment. We think it's the most serious problem that humanity faces."

But others in the automotive industry know that the cars Tesla produces currently are luxury or premium products. Maybe in the future they will make lots of cheaper mass market cars. But now, Tesla is a luxury or premium automaker. They are by far the most respected U.S. domestic luxury automotive brand globally. Autotrader's executive editor said this to NPR. https://www.npr.org/2019/01/31/688180319/teslas-challenge-leaving-behind-the-lap-of-luxury

Brian Moody, the executive editor for Autotrader, says Tesla should walk away from the master plan and just admit that it's a premium carmaker.

"We can just be honest and call them luxury cars," he says. "And I don't think there's anything wrong with that. ... They've created something great that people love. Good. Congratulations. You should enjoy your success and keep doing more of that."

It's only Tesla's "philosophy" that is pushing the company in a different direction, Moody says.

7 hours ago, msm859 said:

One thing is the preference of your son, and another is what a luxury vehicle is. Tesla is not a luxury vehicle.

Clearly, your son doesn´t like luxury vehicles...

Americans think that an expensive product is a luxury product. No.  Some not so expensive ones are luxury products.

Take the Mercedes-Benz A-Class. You can buy one for less money than a Tesla model 3. And you can see the Mercedes-Benz is a real luxury vehicle. Look at the interior, the materials, the quality..  you want to have the Mercedes-Benz for something more than its drive assist devices or the power of the engine. The Tesla? a badly ensembled electric car with some advanced drive assist devices and a high price.

Mercedes-Benz-A-Class-4.jpg

18c0480_10.jpg

Edited by falconlover 1

10 hours ago, rmc523 said:

2,340 for Camaro, ouch.

Cadillac sedans sales aren't pretty.

Also, XT4 does indeed seem to be stealing XT5 sales.

and that's why I think that Grand River will still struggle for production even with CT6 added, buyers are getting tired of Camaro faster than Mustang.  I know its only January but this year looks like it's  going to be really tough  for GM cars,, the new CT4 and CT5 better fire or Alpha is toast.

Edited by jpd80

4 hours ago, jpd80 said:

and that's why I think that Grand River will still struggle for production even with CT6 added, buyers are getting tired of Camaro faster than Mustang.  I know its only January but this year looks like it's  going to be really tough  for GM cars,, the new CT4 and CT5 better fire or Alpha is toast.

Seems like GM still hasn't figured out how to make the Camaro properly with buyers-it seems to be missing the creature conforts or something that the Mustang and even Challenger have.

10 hours ago, ANTAUS said:

Hold now...Ive been following Tesla for a while now because I've been contemplating buying one of them. They by NO MEANS, call themselves a luxury carmaker....Yes, they sell in the higher end, but I haven't seen ANYTHING from them personally, where they call themselves LUXURY by any means. That's a fact.  I have read automotive magazines try to throw them, into that pool but they are not.

To add, I remember MANY years ago an article that Robert Lane wrote (Back in the day), where he used the average transaction prices of Lincolns back then, and in reality, they sold at higher averages than many "luxury" automakers, and it made sense.

Whether Luxury is measured at a transaction price, an item (leather), we can throw a monkey wrench and call the F150 a luxury vehicle at the prices it sells....

9 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Yes sir. Tesla's philosophy is completely different from other carmakers. As you said, they don't advertise themselves a luxury or premium automaker. Maybe they mention luxury cars somewhere deep in their SEC filings.

Elon Musk said on 60 Minutes last year "The whole point of Tesla is to accelerate the advent of electric vehicles and sustainable transport and trying to help the environment. We think it's the most serious problem that humanity faces."

But others in the automotive industry know that the cars Tesla produces currently are luxury or premium products. Maybe in the future they will make lots of cheaper mass market cars. But now, Tesla is a luxury or premium automaker. They are by far the most respected U.S. domestic luxury automotive brand globally. Autotrader's executive editor said this to NPR. https://www.npr.org/2019/01/31/688180319/teslas-challenge-leaving-behind-the-lap-of-luxury

Their year end recap is full of "we're the best selling premium brand in the country now," so something has changed.  See:

"With nearly 140,000 units sold, Model 3 was also the best-selling premium vehicle (including SUVs) in the US for 2018 – the first time in decades an American carmaker has been able to secure the top spot."

Here's a link to the full Tesla press release:

http://ir.tesla.com/static-files/0b913415-467d-4c0d-be4c-9225c2cb0ae0

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gurgeh said:

Their year end recap is full of "we're the best selling premium brand in the country now," so something has changed.  See:

"With nearly 140,000 units sold, Model 3 was also the best-selling premium vehicle (including SUVs) in the US for 2018 – the first time in decades an American carmaker has been able to secure the top spot."

Here's a link to the full Tesla press release:

http://ir.tesla.com/static-files/0b913415-467d-4c0d-be4c-9225c2cb0ae0

Thank you Gurgeh sir for sharing the press release. That's good news that Tesla is acknowledging its status as a premium/luxury car brand. And highlighting their amazing success in becoming the first U.S. domestic carmaker in years with America's best selling premium vehicle.

8 hours ago, falconlover 1 said:

One thing is the preference of your son, and another is what a luxury vehicle is. Tesla is not a luxury vehicle.

Clearly, your son doesn´t like luxury vehicles...

Um I was kind of agreeing with you that I would not (nor would my son) call  Tesla a "Luxury" vehicle - certainly not in the traditional sense.  It is perhaps though one of the most technologically advanced vehicles currently on the market.   My son doesn't not like luxury vehicles - he and many of his peers value technology above luxury.  Apple, Burton, Tesla etc.  My main point though is the younger especially affluent crowd, is going there and the other manufacturers should be paying attention.

6 minutes ago, msm859 said:

Um I was kind of agreeing with you that I would not (nor would my son) call  Tesla a "Luxury" vehicle - certainly not in the traditional sense.  It is perhaps though one of the most technologically advanced vehicles currently on the market.   My son doesn't not like luxury vehicles - he and many of his peers value technology above luxury.  Apple, Burton, Tesla etc.  My main point though is the younger especially affluent crowd, is going there and the other manufacturers should be paying attention.

Somehing very interesting will occur when all that tech on Tesla will be available in real luxury cars like BMW or Mercedes-Benz... with the other luxury amenities. What will happen with Tesla?

35 minutes ago, msm859 said:

Eh, with $1,000 iphones, and the prices they charge for their computers, I'd consider Apple a luxury.

But I guess that's the debate, reaching where technology=luxury.

Edited by rmc523
  • Like 1

Remembering that MKZ has the same back since 2013. If there is new generation MKZ, rear-wheel drive provided by CD6, I believe it would reach the 3k units per month. The problem is that the continental is very close to him and should receive a more differentiated frontal design, distanced the continental from the MKZ.