Polar Vortex not kind to Tesla's, EV's

mackinaw

From Automotive News:

"Model 3 owners have taken to social media and online forums to air issues they’ve had with their sedans due to the frigid weather of the last week. Cold conditions are a drain on battery range, no matter the car brand. But other predicaments are particular to Tesla.

Ronak Patel, a CPA auditor in New Jersey, bought a Model 3 last August. He’s driven about 150 miles in the cold over the last few days. “My biggest concern is the cold weather drained my battery 20 to 25 miles overnight and an extra five to ten miles on my drive to work,” he said. “I paid $60,000 to not drain my battery so quickly.”

Tesla made a door design decision that is coming back to bite some buyers. The Model 3’s handles are flush with the exterior of the car and require customers to push on one side, then pull on the other to open them. Ice is making that maneuver difficult for drivers who’ve posted pictures online of their frozen handles."

https://www.autonews.com/automakers-suppliers/deep-freeze-illustrates-love-hate-relationships-electric-cars-teslas?fbclid=IwAR3af7zi6Th_T6dH2yC_lHBXtp3ED1jo7FJmNtskvGTWE1ReJGLW4FCsDxw

4 hours ago, mackinaw said:

From Automotive News:

"Model 3 owners have taken to social media and online forums to air issues they’ve had with their sedans due to the frigid weather of the last week. Cold conditions are a drain on battery range, no matter the car brand. But other predicaments are particular to Tesla.

Ronak Patel, a CPA auditor in New Jersey, bought a Model 3 last August. He’s driven about 150 miles in the cold over the last few days. “My biggest concern is the cold weather drained my battery 20 to 25 miles overnight and an extra five to ten miles on my drive to work,” he said. “I paid $60,000 to not drain my battery so quickly

Sounds like someone didn’t do their research 

30 minutes ago, mackinaw said:

I get the poor battery performance in cold weather, no news there, but the door handle thing.  Didn't Tesla test the Model 3 in any type of winter weather?  Do they know what snow and ice is?  Unbelievable.

Model S had pretty well publicized issues involving the same exact door handle problem. 

6 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Model S had pretty well publicized issues involving the same exact door handle problem. 

Same problem, different design. The 3 is mechanical, the S/X are motorized.  You’d think since the 3 is a whole different design they’d have taken it into account  

Both are an issue of style over substance. 

43 minutes ago, sullynd said:

Same problem, different design. The 3 is mechanical, the S/X are motorized.  You’d think since the 3 is a whole different design they’d have taken it into account  

Both are an issue of style over substance. 

Just like the folding doors on the Tesla X

My old '94 F150.  Major winter weather up here in Northern Michigan the past few weeks, so my truck (2WD) has sat.  On Saturday, I figured I'd better start it and dig it out.  The 100% mechanical door handle worked beautifully, even though it wad encrusted in snow and ice.  Maybe Tesla should take note.

snowed+in.jpg

• Like 3