NEW FORD F-SERIES SUPER DUTY PICKUP RAISES BAR AGAIN WITH NEXT-LEVEL CAPABILITY, POWER AND TECHNOLOGY

1 hour ago, twintornados said:

I would be willing to bet that the "grey iron" block has more than enough strength and durability to handle the power output of the new Windsor motor with ease...by using "grey iron" Ford can do the block themselves and keep machining costs down to make the motor more profitable in a wide array of applications....think of all the applications that the V10 is currently in, including stationary power, water pumping, generator, and irrigation plant use and you'll understand why Ford didn't go with the CG Iron route with this monster....

Street knowledge is that the iron 5.4 blocks and forged cranks were good to approx 1200 hp.

Brilliant that Ford optimized capacity for fuel efficiency in trucks that are mostly loaded, smaller engines would be running richer all the time and not able to use ther lighter throttle efficiency..A tricky sell when F250 keeps the 6.2 but I guess it will all work out....

Did Ford just out-GM GM?

because I think that the new GM 6.6 gas engine just got dinged by the new Ford 7.3 V8

Edited by jpd80

2 hours ago, bzcat said:

They didn't wait until Texas State Fair for Superduty facelift/mid cycle update... which means we can expect the all-new F-150 at Texas State Fair later this year.

That early?  Sheesh, though I guess showing it in Sept. as a 2021 model (public release/sale mid 2020) sounds about right.  Time sure is flying, and it's not funny!

33 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I'll believe the NG F-150 is imminent when I either see it shown publicly or I start seeing the tooling going in on my line and we start building trial parts. 

Wouldn't we have seen mules and whatnot by now if it were that close?

1 minute ago, rmc523 said:

Ahhh.  I knew you were at MAP before, but couldn't remember where you moved.

Still at MAP, just on the body shop side now. Once area bump opens in August I'll probably get forced over to MAP body from where I am which is fine I guess, but I like the area I'm in now. We're like the forgotten bunch so nobody bothers us. 

Some interesting tidbits...

Just like the 6.2L (and the 6.8, 5.4, 7.5, 5.8, 4.9, etc... before it), the F-250/F-350 variant of the 7.3L can not pass the MDT dyno cert. A variant with upgraded exhaust valves and an upgraded stainless steel exhaust manifolds is required to pass that test and be used in trucks with over 14K GVWR.

Not only does the 6.2L stick around, it gets the 10-speed as well on all but the cheapest versions. I bet the 6-speed variant that remains is the 6R100 not the 6R140.

Reduced ride height on F-250 (only).

In the TFLTruck SD video there was B-roll footage of a white F-450 pickup WITHOUT PowerStroke badging, which means we're getting a gas F-450 pickup! This is the truck I really wanted instead of the F-450 Diesel I have now but I couldn't wait any longer with how the motorhome we used to have was disintegrating around its chassis. So any emissions Diesel BS and downtime with the one I have now and it'll be gone, replaced with the gas version.

Edited by RPF

4 hours ago, bzcat said:

Did Ford release this today because Chevy was unveiling the Silverado HD?

I am sure that the Toho Co. Ltd would have issue with that if Ford wanted to try and use their trademarked name in marketing...code names are one thing, trademarked marketing is a whole different animal altogether.

7.3L Windsor V8 has a nice, nostalgic ring to it. 

6 hours ago, bzcat said:

Did Ford release this today because Chevy was unveiling the Silverado HD?

Boom.....Ha ha

5 hours ago, 92merc said:

I'm hoping so.  I'm betting the Silverado new "best in towing" rating will be very short lived.

Cue Dean Martin singing, "Ain't that a kick in the head.."

3 hours ago, RPF said:

In the TFLTruck SD video there was B-roll footage of a white F-450 pickup WITHOUT PowerStroke badging, which means we're getting a gas F-450 pickup! This is the truck I really wanted instead of the F-450 Diesel I have now but I couldn't wait any longer with how the motorhome we used to have was disintegrating around its chassis. So any emissions Diesel BS and downtime with the one I have now and it'll be gone, replaced with the gas version.

I thought they said it would be offered in F250 through F550?

1 minute ago, akirby said:

F-450 PICKUPS currently are Diesel only. Only the F-450 cab-chassis is currently available with a gas (6.8L) engine. A gas F-450 pickup for 2020 is a feature addition.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RPF said:

F-450 PICKUPS currently are Diesel only. Only the F-450 cab-chassis is currently available with a gas (6.8L) engine. A gas F-450 pickup for 2020 is a feature addition.

I thought you meant it was only going to be in the F250 - F450.  I was saying it would also be in the F550 (I think).

38 minutes ago, akirby said:

through 650-750.  Again I always thought whatever it was-- 7.0. 7.3 OHC, pushrods-the primary mission was to offer a legitimate gas engine for class 6 and 7- the ONLY gas engine-at least for a while in those conventional cab classes.

12 hours ago, 92merc said:

I'm hoping so.  I'm betting the Silverado new "best in towing" rating will be very short lived.

Maybe, maybe not.  They are claiming a ridiculous increase, and I have a feeling GM's new tow rating has more to do with their new 'Allison' 10 speed transmission than their pretty much same-as-last-year Duramax.  GM is claiming no torque management in 1st. gear, if true that's significant.  I know it may not mean much, but just look at the size of that new transmission, it's huge. 

3 hours ago, 7Mary3 said:

Maybe, maybe not.  They are claiming a ridiculous increase, and I have a feeling GM's new tow rating has more to do with their new 'Allison' 10 speed transmission than their pretty much same-as-last-year Duramax.  GM is claiming no torque management in 1st. gear, if true that's significant.  I know it may not mean much, but just look at the size of that new transmission, it's huge. 

What makes me wonder is that GM is building the box not Allison..

M