F150 Electric Spied

It's not a prototype (what Autoblog says) because it is clearly just an engineering mule using the current F-150 body.

Prototype would imply this is the truck Ford is selling... I don't think anyone believe the current gen F-150 will have EV just ~15 month before the new one comes out.

1 minute ago, bzcat said:

It's not a prototype (what Autoblog says) because it is clearly just an engineering mule using the current F-150 body.

Prototype would imply this is the truck Ford is selling... I don't think anyone believe the current gen F-150 will have EV just ~15 month before the new one comes out.

And on top of that, I'm not convinced a BEV or FHEV/PHEV would be available at launch. Seems like a late availability think just because there's already so many different options available as it is.

5 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

And on top of that, I'm not convinced a BEV or FHEV/PHEV would be available at launch. Seems like a late availability think just because there's already so many different options available as it is.

The hybrid should be available at launch but supposedly the BEV is on a different platform so it would be on its own timeframe.

1 hour ago, akirby said:

That brings up a question I've had in the past.  If this is the current body then why would they use the camouflage paint unless they wanted to let everyone know this is a mule.   It would be much more clandestine without it.

Maybe ironically to attract attention to it in this case?  Look! Ford's got their electric truck testing already.......shot across the bow to other companies?

• Like 1

Just now, rmc523 said:

Maybe ironically to attract attention to it in this case?  Look! Ford's got their electric truck testing already.......shot across the bow to other companies?

That was kinda my point - it’s like they want folks (and spy photographers) to see it.

• Like 1

<sarcasm>It's just a block heater</sarcasm>

Very cool....but I'm sure that's not going to actually be where the port is on the final truck.  That would not be good for usability (bending down to plug in / blocked when parked up against something / prone to damage / etc)

5 hours ago, akirby said:

That brings up a question I've had in the past.  If this is the current body then why would they use the camouflage paint unless they wanted to let everyone know this is a mule.   It would be much more clandestine without it.

The camo was on purpose... I think Ford wanted the spy photographers to take a photo of it ? Timing is not coincident... this appears a few days after Farley confirms F-150 EV? It's part of orchestrated PR campaign.

If they didn't want any attention, then they wouldn't have put any camo on it. Engineering and attribute mules are routinely driven around without camo because they looked just like production vehicles. The only way you can tell it is a mule is if it had been hacked up a bit to accommodate whatever new system they are testing.

Edited by bzcat

From a pretty decent source, there will probably be an announcement in New York about the electric F-150, and a current version with electric powertrain may be shown. Ford wants to show Wall Street in person that they are taking the threat seriously and that this will be on the Market in the next 2 years. Ford is losing the PR war on Electric Vehicles and management is very concerned about others entering into the pickup truck market and Ford losing the idea they lead the industry in pickup trucks. 

28 minutes ago, jasonj80 said:

From a pretty decent source, there will probably be an announcement in New York about the electric F-150, and a current version with electric powertrain may be shown. Ford wants to show Wall Street in person that they are taking the threat seriously and that this will be on the Market in the next 2 years. Ford is losing the PR war on Electric Vehicles and management is very concerned about others entering into the pickup truck market and Ford losing the idea they lead the industry in pickup trucks. 

I can see them showing off a concept electric and a more or less Hybrid production ready F-150, since the power train is out there in the new Explorer. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

I can see them showing off a concept electric and a more or less Hybrid production ready F-150, since the power train is out there in the new Explorer. 

I can also see Mach E being revealed there too since Ford said it would go on sale later this year as 2020. Be logical to show it there alongside its F-150 Electric announcement.

10 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I don't know what to believe anymore. The plan seems to be a little fluid at this point. Best guess +/- 6 months depending on how fast they can get the plant retooled. 

1 hour ago, akirby said:

I thought Mach E was 1-2 years out from production.

Looking at the facts we have-

The last production date for the Fiesta is May of this year I believe

I have a really hard time believing that Ford would take that long to retool a plant or let it sit idle that long, which also brings up the Maverick issue (well with the Bronco production date), which means that the Maverick would launch before the Bronco (which is late 2020) and the ensuing shitshow that would it cause with idiots on the internet deriding it as the "true" Bronco-which would come with in 6 months of its launch. 

With that being said, I can see something like this happening:

Mach E concept or production shown off at LA Auto Show (if not sooner)

Going into production next Spring/Summer

Maverick going into production Fall/early winter 2020

Bronco launching late 2020

Just makes you wonder if Ford is going to show off the Bronco (which is more or less a fever pitch interest wise) or the Maverick before the end of this year-or maybe show off both of them as hey Jeep watch what we have coming for you thing late this year?