First look: The D3 Lincoln

This is a HOT design... it immediately strikes me as an updated (and granted, a 4 door version of) the Mark VIII. I think this look could certainly be the next Continental.

As for the LS (a terrific car btw) I think that they should fix the little things that are keeping it from being a hot seller instead of dumping it. It wouldn't take much to make it a surefire hit.

Creating an all-new car to fill its shoes would cost a TON.

http://www.blueovalnews.com/index.php?cate...p2_articleid=76

This baby is sure to be a winner. . .as long as the design is not watered down.

post-536-1135828234_thumb.jpg

I just don't see this D3 Lincoln doing well. Ford should ditch FWD/ AWD route and go RWD like Cadillac.

I have very mixed feelings about this car. The design is fresh and bold, which suggests some serious forward momentum from the nice but somewhat tentative design of the (production) Zephyr. But I partly agree with StevenJ: Committing Lincoln's flagships to FWD/AWD seems like a bad bet. It seems that Ford is aiming Lincoln against Acura, Audi, and Saab (and yes, its own Volvo division), rather than the BMWs and Lexuses that lead the market. Why aim for the also-rans?

My other concern is the design, which is tough to evaluate from this one limited view of a car that's still two years away from the marketplace. The proportions of the front end look a lot like the Iosis show car, which is supposed to preview FORD styling cues--cues that are already showing up on the Edge. Yes, this one shot of the D3 looks great. But by 2008, it may look like Lincolnized version of several new Fords. If the car is perceived as a gussied-up Volvo with chrome-plated Ford styling, that's going to dillute Lincoln's brand value even further.

The shame of it is, the LS was/is a wonderful car that just needed more expressive styling and a performance upgrade, and several recent Lincoln show cars hinted at clever ways to combine classic Lincoln styling cues with a classic, RWD package. The D3 looks sharp, but it just doesn't evoke the distinctive history and prestige of the brand, IMHO.

I have very mixed feelings about this car. The design is fresh and bold, which suggests some serious forward momentum from the nice but somewhat tentative design of the (production) Zephyr. But I partly agree with StevenJ: Committing Lincoln's flagships to FWD/AWD seems like a bad bet. It seems that Ford is aiming Lincoln against Acura, Audi, and Saab (and yes, its own Volvo division), rather than the BMWs and Lexuses that lead the market. Why aim for the also-rans?

My other concern is the design, which is tough to evaluate from this one limited view of a car that's still two years away from the marketplace. The proportions of the front end look a lot like the Iosis show car, which is supposed to preview FORD styling cues--cues that are already showing up on the Edge. Yes, this one shot of the D3 looks great. But by 2008, it may look like Lincolnized version of several new Fords. If the car is perceived as a gussied-up Volvo with chrome-plated Ford styling, that's going to dillute Lincoln's brand value even further.

The shame of it is, the LS was/is a wonderful car that just needed more expressive styling and a performance upgrade, and several recent Lincoln show cars hinted at clever ways to combine classic Lincoln styling cues with a classic, RWD package. The D3 looks sharp, but it just doesn't evoke the distinctive history and prestige of the brand, IMHO.

I wouldn't worry about the Iosis characteristics, as the Iosis was meant as a preview of EUROPEAN Ford styling, not North American. The Edge looks very Fusion-like. I don't see any Iosis in it at all. Heck, the only thing in the MKS concept I see that has any Iosis at all is the front fascia vents.

Once again, I feel the FWD/AWD direction is the right one for Lincoln. I wouldn't consider the Audi A8 an "also ran" compared to ANY Lexus. I don't think many other people would either. The success of these new Lincolns depends on whether or not it is luxurious enough. The market generally won't care which wheels the engine is turning, as long as the perceived value is there.

I wouldn't worry about the Iosis characteristics, as the Iosis was meant as a preview of EUROPEAN Ford styling, not North American. The Edge looks very Fusion-like. I don't see any Iosis in it at all. Heck, the only thing in the MKS concept I see that has any Iosis at all is the front fascia vents.

Once again, I feel the FWD/AWD direction is the right one for Lincoln. I wouldn't consider the Audi A8 an "also ran" compared to ANY Lexus. I don't think many other people would either. The success of these new Lincolns depends on whether or not it is luxurious enough. The market generally won't care which wheels the engine is turning, as long as the perceived value is there.

That I disagree with. With the A to B crowd, what you said is plaussible but the higher the price ladder moves up, the more selective people become. Generally enthusiast get a bigger stab in the uppermarket since people buying these $30,000 cars and up tend to be more like enthusiast and care about engine, drivetrain configuration, among the obvious things like features and fit and finish. Hey, if RWD wasn't a good drivetrain layout then BMW would be out of business because everyone of their cars except the x drive and the Mini are rear drive and even the x drive cars have a rear drive based awd system. Even the bigger Mercs, the E and S class are both RWD. Same thing with every Jaguar except the X type, they're all RWD. I'm not sure about the C class, I think thoose are front wtih optional awd. Even most Japanese luxury brands, like Infinity and Lexus, lean towards RWD. Pretty much Volvo and Audi are the only brands that lean towards front based AWD with Saab and Acura being the only ones that rely primarily on front driven cars. This probably explains why the sales for both brands tend to be below expectations. Again, I'm not convinced that anyone is really boing to pay for an overgrown D3 with a Japanese motor. I would also think that poeple would be reluctant considering the last Yamaha V8 built for Ford was a catastrophe, cough SHO cough. I think a stretched S197 sedan is a better idea. Then again, it would ahve to be midsized considering the platform.

That I disagree with. With the A to B crowd, what you said is plaussible but the higher the price ladder moves up, the more selective people become. Generally enthusiast get a bigger stab in the uppermarket since people buying these $30,000 cars and up tend to be more like enthusiast and care about engine, drivetrain configuration, among the obvious things like features and fit and finish. Hey, if RWD wasn't a good drivetrain layout then BMW would be out of business because everyone of their cars except the x drive and the Mini are rear drive and even the x drive cars have a rear drive based awd system. Even the bigger Mercs, the E and S class are both RWD. Same thing with every Jaguar except the X type, they're all RWD. I'm not sure about the C class, I think thoose are front wtih optional awd. Even most Japanese luxury brands, like Infinity and Lexus, lean towards RWD. Pretty much Volvo and Audi are the only brands that lean towards front based AWD with Saab and Acura being the only ones that rely primarily on front driven cars. This probably explains why the sales for both brands tend to be below expectations. Again, I'm not convinced that anyone is really boing to pay for an overgrown D3 with a Japanese motor. I would also think that poeple would be reluctant considering the last Yamaha V8 built for Ford was a catastrophe, cough SHO cough. I think a stretched S197 sedan is a better idea. Then again, it would ahve to be midsized considering the platform.

Let's face it. Lincoln isn't going to be capturing many "enthusiast" drivers anytime soon no matter what they do. They CAN however grab a significant chunk of the people just looking for a NICE driving car with excellent quality and luxury appointments. Most of your Mercedes E-class and Lexus LS buyers just want a nice-driving car. Aside from the AMG versions of the E-class, there's nothing sporty or "enthusiast-driven" about them. They just happen to be RWD. I doubt most of the owners would care either way, as long as the luxury and image is there.

And for the last time: S197 CAN'T be "stretched" unless you wanted to redesign the thing from scratch. So much for that idea.

I still think this vehicle is a waste. The money would have been much better spent updating the panther or the LS sedan. I just don't picture it doing that well. The Buick Lucerne is pretty much the same thing minus AWD and a six speed auto and no one really notices it. Of course that's a bit of an older platform that that car is based off of. I just don't see this D3 Lincoln doing well. Ford should ditch FWD/ AWD route and go RWD like Cadillac. They have platforms to work off of. I guess they'd rather spend that money on money losers like Jaguar. Oh well. Too bad they won't stick with the SN195 to make a 4 door sedan or even just give the panther an Explorer like refresh. I keep hearing it is comming but I'm sick of waiting. This crap is unacceptable. And it probably won't even get an American V8. It will probably get the new Yamaha V8. They mine as well not even call it a Lincoln. It's just a Volvo rebadge with a Japanese motor. Who cares?

Nonsence. If they were to go RWD, the Panther platform is the last damn thing they need to be putting money into. It was, is, and always will be an old mans car. LS is still a good platform, but I don't think the luxury market cares if it's RWD, FWD, or AWD. Enthusiasts do not make up all of the luxury market.

Personally, I like the styling of this Lincoln D3 prototype/concept. They're going in the right direction.

This has to be one of the least appealing Lincoln concepts in recent memory. The design is derivative and somewhat outdated. It takes it cues from the 90's school of design, borrows some of the generic traits of modern luxury liners, and turns out a package that doesn't really represent a fresh face for Lincoln. At least it's not retro like the Continental concept, but I would prefer a crisper and leaner design similar to the Zeph and LS (or 300C).

The concept also lacks some detail refinement, like the design of the front bumper which does not work well with the overall luxury theme of the design. I'm willing to believe the car will look better in its production form(or in better photographs). However, this is not the type of luxury vehicle that appeals to me.

''Hmmmm - that front end looks vaguely familiar to me . . . ''

Yeah it looks like a Lincoln, not a Hyundai or Toyota at least.

And boo hoo to the one expecting the LS to last forever. More like LoSer or L-edSel. It looked like a generic Mitsubishi Galant/Lancer, or God forbid, Hyundai XG. Also, the cramped interior didn't help.

"[they should] won't stick with the SN195" Maybe they should just bring back the Granada platform and try to make a new Lincoln Versailles from that? :lol:

Edited by 630land

Nonsence. If they were to go RWD, the Panther platform is the last damn thing they need to be putting money into. It was, is, and always will be an old mans car. LS is still a good platform, but I don't think the luxury market cares if it's RWD, FWD, or AWD. Enthusiasts do not make up all of the luxury market.

Personally, I like the styling of this Lincoln D3 prototype/concept. They're going in the right direction.

Okay fine maybe not for Lincoln but still. The panther platform isn't just an old fogie car. If Ford bother to update the damn car like the Ranger, it could be a very solid, competitive platform with such cars as the Chrysler 300C and Infinity Q45. Of course, they'd rather not update it because they'd rather spend more money on money losers like Jaguar, Land Rover, and such. Either way, I still don't think this new D3 Lincoln is going to do that well. I have my doubts. Lastly, while the LS was small and cramped, so were other cars in it's segment such as the 3 series or the G35. The Ls was actually a really good car. Of course, Ford never bothered to advertise the damn thing or update it. They just let all the good products die, all the nice RWD cars, just like the Thunderbird, LS, Backwoods, Marauder, MKVIII, and such. If they want to waste money on front or AWD cars that not many will probably buy then so be it. I'm still waiting for the real American car. Oh well, atleast Cadillac builds real American cars, like the CTS, STS, XLR, which are all front engine RWD with V6 and V8s and can handel.

Edited by StevenJ

• 2 weeks later...

Can't resist unanswered questions, especially since it's your 1st post :)

where will it be built?.....they haven't said yet

is it on a 500 platform?...YES

is towncar going to stap?...they haven't said yet

Edited by 2b2