First look: The D3 Lincoln

Once the coolness of seeing it for the first time wears off, you see that's it's more generic luxury car design than something ground breaking. Also, if you removed the badges, you would be hard pressed to find anyone that could identify it as being a Lincoln. Even more ironic was at the preview a few weeks ago, Ford designers including Horbury were rambling on about American design and then they show the MKS, which is very un-American looking. Don't get me wrong, it's an attractive car, but come 2008MY, this won't be anything that stands out or be anything entirely special.

Edited by AH-HA

What happened to the egg-crate grill? Did we change directions again?

I need to see a side profile and tail-lights to pass judgement on this one. But it looks pretty good so far.

Obviously an egg-crate grille would look crappy on a car like that. Horbury said that there's no reason why Lincoln can't have TWO grille designs (and it's rather depressing that he would actually have to say such a thing). The egg-crate looks like it will be used on the SUVs/CUVs/truck, while the waterfall (which traces its descent from the old Lincoln K-Series in the 20s and 30s) remains on the cars.

I see a bit of Acura RL in the overall shape. And yes, it's not the most original design, but it's certainly a classy-looking luxury car, which is a great place for Lincoln to start rebuilding its image. They don't necessesarily need to be bold to sell. As long as the quality and luxury is there and doesn't look outdated (which this certainly doesn't) then it should fare relatively well.

Once the coolness of seeing it for the first time wears off, you see that's it's more generic luxury car design than something ground breaking. Also, if you removed the badges, you would be hard pressed to find anyone that could identify it as being a Lincoln. Even more ironic was at the preview a few weeks ago, Ford designers including Horbury were rambling on about American design and then they show the MKS, which is very un-American looking. Don't get me wrong, it's an attractive car, but come 2008MY, this won't be anything that stands out or be anything entirely special.

Sorry, but after all your laughable hype towards everything GM, especially the Escalade ("breathtaking / OMG ITS SO AWESMOE WAIT TIL YUO SEE IT / BEST INTERIORz EVARRRRRR!!11!1! UP TEHRE WITH TEH AUDI-BMW-MB!!1"), you lost all credibility when it comes to making credible comments in design matters, forever. Stick with spitting out what you heard at lunch.

BTW, this statement...

"Once the coolness of seeing it for the first time wears off, you see that's it's more generic car design than something ground breaking. Also, if you removed the badges, you would be hard pressed to find anyone that could identify it as being a (?)"

...is pretty funny/ironic, coming from a GM cheerleader like yourself.

Nice looking car - at least from the front. Will have to see other angles before passing any judgment. One question - is this close to being a production design? If so, where does it fit in the Lincoln line-up? Is this the new LS or the new Continental - it seems a bit small to be the next Town Car.

- HCE

Nice looking car - at least from the front. Will have to see other angles before passing any judgment. One question - is this close to being a production design? If so, where does it fit in the Lincoln line-up? Is this the new LS or the new Continental - it seems a bit small to be the next Town Car.

- HCE

I'm guess this will replace the LS and slot between the Zephyr and Town Car.

Not bad. Sure looks angry dosen't it? I like that.

If you've seen the Zephyr in person, it has the same type of attitude. Which I think is great, and it definitely sets it apart from the Fusion/Milan sisters, as well as the competition. But somehow the Zeph's attitude gets lost in most pictures I've seen. So hopefully we'll get a bunch of pictures for this one. I especially would like to see the taillights/rearend of this car, hopefully they "ended" this car in a good way. Where the Zeph seems to disconnect from its attitude and the message it's trying to convey, when you get to the rear of the car.

Obviously an egg-crate grille would look crappy on a car like that. Horbury said that there's no reason why Lincoln can't have TWO grille designs (and it's rather depressing that he would actually have to say such a thing). The egg-crate looks like it will be used on the SUVs/CUVs/truck, while the waterfall (which traces its descent from the old Lincoln K-Series in the 20s and 30s) remains on the cars.

I whole-heartedly disagree that it would "obviously" look crappy. That's not giving the Lincoln designers much credit all. To me the waterfall grill looks too much like mercury's grill. IMHO it would give the brand more strength it they unified the grill design.

I still think this vehicle is a waste. The money would have been much better spent updating the panther or the LS sedan. I just don't picture it doing that well. The Buick Lucerne is pretty much the same thing minus AWD and a six speed auto and no one really notices it. Of course that's a bit of an older platform that that car is based off of. I just don't see this D3 Lincoln doing well. Ford should ditch FWD/ AWD route and go RWD like Cadillac. They have platforms to work off of. I guess they'd rather spend that money on money losers like Jaguar. Oh well. Too bad they won't stick with the SN195 to make a 4 door sedan or even just give the panther an Explorer like refresh. I keep hearing it is comming but I'm sick of waiting. This crap is unacceptable. And it probably won't even get an American V8. It will probably get the new Yamaha V8. They mine as well not even call it a Lincoln. It's just a Volvo rebadge with a Japanese motor. Who cares?

Edited by StevenJ

I really need more pix & info but think it's gonna largely come down to what engines offered. I hope for at least:

~270~hp 3.5v6 Awd(opt?) (ie Fusion-ST setup)

~310~hp 4.4 YamaVolvo v8 Awd only

but ASAP bring out

~300~hp bored-out 3.8v6

higher hp 4.4v8 (forced induction?)

then, of course, there's features &/vs price...

btw, we don't even know where/when it'll be built yet, do we???

last question/comment -

Since Ford knows the video 'escaped', why don't they let ONE gorgeous-dramatic-professional 'portrait' escape too?

Too many people are getting their crucial first impression from a low quality video capture!