Is Ranger production better than 400 per day yet?

11 hours ago, akirby said:

F150 sweet spot is the XLT 302A package.  I suspect Ranger will be the same after it’s out for awhile.

Yup, Almost every Ranger I see online (if an XLT) has the 302A.  Mine does and it is a great package.  Adds all the good stuff for not a ton of $$.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anthony said:

Yup, Almost every Ranger I see online (if an XLT) has the 302A.  Mine does and it is a great package.  Adds all the good stuff for not a ton of $$.

On my F150 the price difference between a loaded XLT 302A and a Lariat was $8K - $10K because of the big incentives on the XLT.   I couldn’t justify it and I’m perfectly happy with my XLT.  I don’t miss the things I thought I’d miss like the auto climate control.  I did add a Lariat visor to get the homelink garage door opener.

2 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I didn't see anything about a transmission cooler being part of the towing package. 

I guess it’s not, that’s very odd for Ford - it must already be fitted on the ranger. Most other Ford models include one or a bigger one when you order it. Some vehicles even include the higher torque load transmission as well. Sorry for the bad info. 

19 hours ago, 2005Explorer said:

Mine has been built and is in transit now. When I was picking out exactly how I wanted it there was just too much of an increase in price from an XLT with the 302A package to the Lariat. I understand you get more then just a cloth to leather upgrade, but I just didn't want to spend $4k extra or so for those extra things that didn't matter to me. The Ranger customer is different from the full size truck or luxury car customer so I'd expect the mid-level XLT to out sell the Lariats by a significant margin as time goes on. I know the majority of F150s sold are the highest trim levels, but I don't see that being the case with the Ranger.

I also don't get the hate for the Ranger on the YouTube comment sections, but they are not being kind to it. Heck there's even a salesman from a Ford dealer who made a video about why the Rangers on their lot aren't selling. He said it comes down to the fact that the F150 has such good incentives it really doesn't cost much more then the Ranger. Although MSRP is quite a bit different as long as Ford throws tons on cash on the hoods of F150s to maintain "America's best selling truck" I foresee the Ranger being overshadowed by it.

Typically the first year of an all-new model is skewed towards the high end models satisfying the image and impulse buyers. In Ranger's case, there's a difference in that it's not comparable to the old version due to size, added content and technology, etc. resulting in a price jump that some prospects need to adjust to. In areas where there are a lot of Ranger Lariat SuperCrew units on the ground, it's going to take some time for Dealers to start making sales and getting them on the road. And with all the incentives available on the F-150's and none on the Ranger, the F-150 will look like a better buy for those looking at prices only. As time goes on and there's more availability of the Ranger XLT's and some XL "Work Trucks" along with at least some SuperCab inventory, there will be a better mix for Dealers to work with. And at some point Ford will add some incentives to help start moving Ranger inventory off Dealers lots. Traditionally, it takes an entire Model Year for a new model to get established, production to stabilize, inventory to build and for there to be enough vehicles on the road to get it seen, etc.    

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jasonj80 said:

I guess it’s not, that’s very odd for Ford - it must already be fitted on the ranger. Most other Ford models include one or a bigger one when you order it. Some vehicles even include the higher torque load transmission as well. Sorry for the bad info. 

A lot of Fords are coming with the transmission cooler standard now so it’s not part of the towing package.

On 3/9/2019 at 6:15 AM, fuzzymoomoo said:

It's nice to see that final has 560 at the end of the day, however that's only going to be sustainable for so long as long as body shop is only doing 280 per shift (2 shifts) 

How many hours are they running to get that?

4 minutes ago, wildosvt said:

How many hours are they running to get that?

I got loaned out there Friday night. The line I was on (Floor Pan, which is the very beginning) took all 10. There was a little bit of down time before lunch and again towards the end of the night due to a robot detecting a collision that didn't happen. We also built extra stock.  

The rest were gone about 3:30 or 4 from what I could see and they had some down time too (I had my break just before lunch so I did some wandering and there were a bunch of electricians and millwrights working on one area).  I was a little isolated from the rest of the line so I'm not 100% sure exactly what time I left. It's a little odd how that is set up, floor pan is in the northeast corner of the building, then the finished parts are trucked aroud to the southeast corner of the building where the actual start of the line is. 

We just had area bump close on Friday and I'm about to get bumped out of North Stamping over to body so soon I should have a better idea of how things work rather than semi-educated guesses. 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo
  • Like 2

Here is what is included in the Ranger Towing package (not a whole lot....you could probably buy and install the items for considerably less money....but it does show that ALL Rangers can tow and there's nothing special about getting the tow package to give you more ability).

Screen Shot 2019-03-10 at 11.41.52 AM.png

Edited by Anthony

1 hour ago, Anthony said:

Here is what is included in the Ranger Towing package (not a whole lot....you could probably buy and install the items for considerably less money....but it does show that ALL Rangers can tow and there's nothing special about getting the tow package to give you more ability).

Screen Shot 2019-03-10 at 11.41.52 AM.png

If that wiring harness is like the one on the F-150 (at least the 12th Gen), adding that would be a PITA. My recollection is that it involves a main harness, so if you don't have it, you have to run wires up to the engine compartment.

15 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Actually, here's the list from the 12/20 revision of the order guide, indicating the 4-flat wiring.

HRG

Ranger towing.JPG

Hmm I guess I'm getting the towing package. I hate towing with the bumper.

I honestly thought the hitch was standard and the towing package was an upgraded hitch 

@wildosvt I have heard that some of Ford's other production sites have had problems with component shortages for components from Mexico and am asking if it is having an effect on the Ranger facility?  Something about a strike in Mexico and steering wheels for Mustangs, etc. etc.  Anyways just wondering about the Ranger line cause mine is supposedly in production this week according to the tracker.  Thanks  you, someday I plan to tour one of the plants totally fascinated on the crazy magic that goes on to build a vehicle!

1 minute ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

It's ok. Sorry for the snappy comeback. I was in the middle of replacing the slides on a kitchen drawer and it wasn't lining up for the soft close to work. Stupid warped drawers ?

It is very much OK, you guys are on my Christmas card list for putting together the "back again" Ranger.  First new vehicle I ever ordered/bought was a 83 4x4 Red Ranger, coming full circle for my mid life crisis and looking forward to being back in a Ford and out of the Nissan.  Thanks again, stay safe, glad it has warmed up a little for you all.  Good luck with the drawer slide.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

It's ok. Sorry for the snappy comeback. I was in the middle of replacing the slides on a kitchen drawer and it wasn't lining up for the soft close to work. Stupid warped drawers ?

IS there a place on the forum to post suggestions for the next generation?  F150 has a 5 1/2 foot box, would it be feasible to stretch the Ranger 6 inches and put a 5 1/2 foot box?  Do something better with the Crew Cab rear seat, heck the Escape rear seat is far more flexible?  Add a integrated brake controller to the Tow Package, important to stop the 7500lbs. trailer.  Those are the only changes I would like to see.  The rest of it is pretty damn awesome; you guys do a great job putting it together.  Now if the engineers and marketing would listen to you all!!

21 minutes ago, bluerangerlariat said:

IS there a place on the forum to post suggestions for the next generation?  F150 has a 5 1/2 foot box, would it be feasible to stretch the Ranger 6 inches and put a 5 1/2 foot box?  Do something better with the Crew Cab rear seat, heck the Escape rear seat is far more flexible?  Add a integrated brake controller to the Tow Package, important to stop the 7500lbs. trailer.  Those are the only changes I would like to see.  The rest of it is pretty damn awesome; you guys do a great job putting it together.  Now if the engineers and marketing would listen to you all!!

I'm sure all that we've come to expect from Ford trucks will make it into the next-gen Ranger.  This one is just a stopgap for 3ish years.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Any word on how the ranger is selling? Only reason I ask is I have yet to see one on the road and all the dealers around me have had the same stock for a while now. I’m seeing dealers with super crew lariats with 501, sport appearance and tow package for under $34k when msrp is just under $39k. There wasn’t a breakdown of the discounts on the dealers website so it could be a bunch of stuff that no one qualifies for, but it still seemed odd to be advertised that low when it just came out. 

Edited by T-dubz

9 hours ago, T-dubz said:

Any word on how the ranger is selling? Only reason I ask is I have yet to see one on the road and all the dealers around me have had the same stock for a while now. I’m seeing dealers with super crew lariats with 501, sport appearance and tow package for under $34k when msrp is just under $39k. There wasn’t a breakdown of the discounts on the dealers website so it could be a bunch of stuff that no one qualifies for, but it still seemed odd to be advertised that low when it just came out. 

Damn, if I could afford the insurance spike I would jump all over that....