Corsair Engine Info

Now, this may be common knowledge to some here but I didn't know exactly what choices we'd have exactly. Interesting they are going the 2.5 route for hybrid. I thought they might try the 2.0T. I really hope the PHEV numbers are impressive.

Not surprised by the 2.3 or 2.0 but hoping they get power increases over their current versions. 

autoblog corsair engines

5 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

No Black Label?

That's interesting 

I am going to call BS on that part. Black Label's just increase the margin so I can't see them dropping that trim. Can Ford just unveil this thing already? Next week will be March and these things should be hitting dealers lots in October/November?

Edited by jcartwright99

34 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

No Black Label?

That's interesting 

Yeah, I don't believe that either.  I get dropping it on MKZ, as it's a product on its last legs (or at least on autopilot), but not having it on Corsair doesn't make much sense to me.  Unless MKC BL take rate is so low it's not worth it?  Does that come from the product itself, though - meaning people would purchase a BL trim of the new model but didn't view the current one as worth it.

I think we'll see the standard 3 BL trims - Chalet, Thoroughbred, and one "unique" trim.  I could see it borrowing a sibling's unique trim rather than having it's own (i.e. Conti with Rhapsody, Navi with Yacht Club, Nautilus with Gala, and Aviator with Flight) to save costs.

Edited by rmc523

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/02/2020-ford-escape-three-engines-including-three-cylinder/

carscoops has the escape engine info. Seems like the same engines except it has a 1.5 liter three cylinder. I thought it was interesting that they say the 2.0 will have less power then the current one.

escape will continue with s, se, sel, and titanium trims, but no mention of an ST.

29 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/02/2020-ford-escape-three-engines-including-three-cylinder/

carscoops has the escape engine info. Seems like the same engines except it has a 1.5 liter three cylinder. I thought it was interesting that they say the 2.0 will have less power then the current one.

escape will continue with s, se, sel, and titanium trims, but no mention of an ST.

Assimilator has repeatedly said there will be no Escape ST, and I'm inclined to believe that one because we would have seen spy shots of it by now 

That's a lot of build variation on Escape... I thought Ford was trying to cut that down?

The lack of ST is probably temporary... give Lincoln some time to move Corsair up market and bank some sales. Can't imagine why Ford wouldn't put the 2.3 EB in Escape ST since it will be in Corsair. Just like the lack of PHEV AWD in Escape... they want to give Lincoln some exclusive options, at least for some period of time.

24 minutes ago, bzcat said:

That's a lot of build variation on Escape... I thought Ford was trying to cut that down?

The lack of ST is probably temporary... give Lincoln some time to move Corsair up market and bank some sales. Can't imagine why Ford wouldn't put the 2.3 EB in Escape ST since it will be in Corsair. Just like the lack of PHEV AWD in Escape... they want to give Lincoln some exclusive options, at least for some period of time.

I saw a chart on FIN that showed the Escape with PHEV and 4x4.

My guess is better transmission (8 vs. 6 speed) and lighter vehicle, Ford didn't feel compelled to bump the horsepower up and would rather go for better MPG... which makes sense for Escape. Look at the competitors... RAV4, CR-V, Forester, CX-5 etc. all are optimized for good MPG and a bit slow.

For Corsair, it's a bit different. The premium engine on Q5 (SQ5), X3 M40i, GLC43 etc are all over 300hp.

34 minutes ago, bzcat said:

My guess is better transmission (8 vs. 6 speed) and lighter vehicle, Ford didn't feel compelled to bump the horsepower up and would rather go for better MPG... which makes sense for Escape. Look at the competitors... RAV4, CR-V, Forester, CX-5 etc. all are optimized for good MPG and a bit slow.

For Corsair, it's a bit different. The premium engine on Q5 (SQ5), X3 M40i, GLC43 etc are all over 300hp.

Perhaps the Corsair PHEV will be like Aviator's though, and be the top engine with top power figures?

17 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Perhaps the Corsair PHEV will be like Aviator's though, and be the top engine with top power figures?

I think the transverse engine hybrids are going to use motors on the rear wheels so it's certainly possible to use it in conjunction with the ICE for max power (and AWD).

26 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Not with a I4 engine.

Corsair PHEV (Grand Touring?) will be a direct competitor for GLC350e and upcoming X3 30e and Q5 eTron which are all I4+PHEV setup with about 300hp so basically mid range.

SQ5, X3 M40i, GLC43 are in the 350-360hp range.

• Corsair 2.0T (237hp?) vs. X3 30i, GLC300, Q5 (~250hp range)
  • Corsair 2.5 PHEV (??? hp) vs. X3 30e, GLC350e, Q5 eTron (~300hp range)
  • Corsair 2.3T (275hp?) vs. X3 M40i, GLC43, SQ5 (~350hp range)

I guess Ford is not going to play the me too game given that C2 platform afterall has a transverse engine setup. But to really match the Germans, Lincoln will probably have to drop the 2.7 EB or 3.0 EB in the Corsair. I don't think Ford will spend that kind of money to engineer transverse V6 in C2 unless Nautilus/Edge will be using it.

Edited by bzcat

7 minutes ago, Edgeoffroad04 said:

Doesnt the Nautilus compete with the likes of the Q5? While MKC competes with the Q3. 

Aviator is the same size as X7, GLS, and Q7.

Nautilus is same size as X5, GLE, Q8, and RX.

MKC is the same size as X3, GLC, Q5, and NX.

Lincoln is working on something smaller than MKC that will compete with X1, GLA, Q3, and UX.

Nautilus is actually slightly smaller than other midsize luxury SUV but mainly because all 3 German competitors are brand new in 2019 so they are one generation ahead. Given how big Aviator is and how big the Corsair appears in spy photo, it's safe to say next gen Nautilus will get bigger too.

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, bzcat said:

Nautilus is actually slightly smaller than other midsize luxury SUV but mainly because all 3 German competitors are brand new in 2019 so they are one generation ahead. Given how big Aviator is and how big the Corsair appears in spy photo, it's safe to say next gen Nautilus will get bigger too.

I haven't seen or heard anything about the NG Nautilus, however the Edge does get a little bigger and is due out for MY2021. Since the Nautilus is on the same schedule I expect it at the same time. 

• Like 1