2020 Lincoln Corsair with less camo

9 hours ago, ehaase said:

I know the Corsair as an Edsel, but it's still a nice name. 

It was also a Ford in Europe:

s-l1000.jpg

It's not really surprising though, Ford has used many other nameplates over several of its brands. 

Capri - Ford, Mercury, Lincoln

Ranger - Ford, Edsel

Monarch - Mercury, Monarch (Canadian brand)

Meteor - Mercury, Meteor (Canadian brand)

Zephyr - Ford, Mercury, Lincoln

Villager - Edsel, Mercury

Comet - Mercury, Edsel (as a concept)

Custom - Ford, Mercury, Lincoln

1 hour ago, ausrutherford said:

It was also a Ford in Europe:

s-l1000.jpg

It's not really surprising though, Ford has used many other nameplates over several of its brands. 

Capri - Ford, Mercury, Lincoln

Ranger - Ford, Edsel

Monarch - Mercury, Monarch (Canadian brand)

Meteor - Mercury, Meteor (Canadian brand)

Zephyr - Ford, Mercury, Lincoln

Villager - Edsel, Mercury

Comet - Mercury, Edsel (as a concept)

Custom - Ford, Mercury, Lincoln

"Lincoln Comet" would sound kind of cool... It would pair well with "Continental". 

• Angry 1

On 2/23/2019 at 7:05 PM, 92merc said:

Naming scheme wise, I don't think Corsair fits.  It is the name of a sailing ship.  If you look at Navigator and Aviator, those are people.  Mariner and Mountaineer are people.  Corsair and Nautilus both don't fit that.

Just my opinion...

Corsair is something like Pirate... is about people too

• Like 1

On 2/23/2019 at 12:24 PM, Don Keoni said:

I think the point is to why it’s not integrated with a smoother and less obtrusive look. Though that C70 takes the cake. 

I’m not sure what to think about the long horizontal vent look. Granted it’s not one large vent, but it reminds of a Prius(?).

Yeah, I was going to say the only thing I don't like about it is that "single" horizontal vent that seems to be a trend these days (several Audi products do it).

On 2/23/2019 at 1:05 PM, 92merc said:

Naming scheme wise, I don't think Corsair fits.  It is the name of a sailing ship.  If you look at Navigator and Aviator, those are people.  Mariner and Mountaineer are people.  Corsair and Nautilus both don't fit that.

Just my opinion...

I've looked quite a few times, and there are only so many "-or" and "-er" pilot/captain type titles out there that could be used as names.  Mariner would be a good one, but I still lean toward keeping that one locked up to avoid Mercury connections.

6 hours ago, falconlover 1 said:

One name from Lincoln I love, and one I want to see alive again is Versailles...  Is sooo cool. The next compact crossover can be named with this beautiful name.

No.  That name would only reinforce the image of Lincoln being an old person's car.

I feel the same about those that want Cadillac to bring back names like Fleetwood and Seville.

Lincoln needs "new" names.

(Continental is an exception, as while it's a old name, it's a name that can be modernized.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Guess I can't edit.

These shots seem to be of a base model, too, though, so it's possible upper trims may have the full digital gauge cluster.

If they biff the digital displays like they have on the Fords, I'd rather have that dash. It beats the hell out of jamming all the useful info on mutually-exclusive screens on the left while throwing the useless/redundant info on the right.

It bugs me that Ford's dash layouts alternate between "useful, but not fashionable," and "fashionable, but not useful."

Oh, guys.... this car is the entry level model for Lincoln...  a compact crossover. Really you are specting to see it loaded with all the amenities like the Aviator?.  Wrong. Is an entry level model. Not the flagship. Even Mercedes-Benz doesnt give every tech they have to the small and cheapest models, like the A-Class.

A traditional non digital gauge cluster is ok in this model. Maybe the upper versions will have the digital one.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ANTAUS said:

And at the end of the day, is it really worth having 2 different instrument clusters, for a base and upper trim..like wtf? At the bare minimum considering it's an Escape, it should have ALL those toys as standard.

Nautilus got the digital cluster standard, that's also at a higher pricepoint, though, obviously.

8 minutes ago, Joe771476 said:

I can't understand why they chose a name that rhymes with (Chevrolet) Corvair,  a dismal failure thanks to Nader.   They could have picked a million other names!

It was a name that Ford used in the past, domestically in the Edsel lineup and overseas in Great Britain if I remember correctly. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Joe771476 said:

I can't understand why they chose a name that rhymes with (Chevrolet) Corvair,  a dismal failure thanks to Nader.   They could have picked a million other names!

I don't think the target demographic for the Corsair has any idea of the Corvair or who Ralph Nader is. Sad but true. I was actually surprised Nader was still alive. He's 85 and tweeting. Good for him.

• Like 2

Nader didn't kill the Corvair...the Mustang did.

GM management's order to freeze Corvair development had been given prior to the official debut of Nader's book. This move was in response to the failure of the handsome second-generation model to halt the public stampede to the Mustang. (Which is ironic, given that the big success of the first-generation Corvair Monza was the main reason Ford was willing to move forward with the Mustang.)

I seriously doubt that the average Lincoln Corsair prospect will make any connection to either the Corvair or the Edsel. For younger buyers, the automotive name with the most negative connotation is "Aztek."

When I first heard that the name would be "Corsair," I immediately thought of the English Ford version, which was immortalized by Matchbox back in the 1960s.

Edited by grbeck

On 2/25/2019 at 7:34 PM, ANTAUS said:

And at the end of the day, is it really worth having 2 different instrument clusters, for a base and upper trim..like wtf? At the bare minimum considering it's an Escape, it should have ALL those toys as standard.

Just thinking out loud here, what if that is a digital cluster? What if there's an option to toggle between a traditional cluster and numerical cluster?