2020 Escape Engines - 1.3L 3 Cylinder

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/02/20/2020-ford-escape-engines-hybrids/

The same paperwork shows 2020 Escape trims and engines with a little variation on the Lincoln sibling. The base Escape S will get Ford's 1.3-liter Dragon three-cylinder, with a horsepower yet to be declared. It will replace the 1.5-liter EcoBoost cylinder that makes 179 hp and 177 pound-feet of torque in the current Escape S.

I'm interested to ride in one of these. Four bangers always have single plane crankshafts which give them a characteristic vibration that's not present in multi-plane crank engines. A three cylinder ain't no straight straight six, but I wonder if it's not at least smoother than a 4 cylinder since the crank throws are 120 deg apart. It's apples to oranges, but I've got two old Ford three cylinder tractors (one gas and one diesel) that are quite smooth.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sevensecondsuv said:

I'm interested to ride in one of these. Four bangers always have single plane crankshafts which give them a characteristic vibration that's not present in multi-plane crank engines. A three cylinder ain't no straight straight six, but I wonder if it's not at least smoother than a 4 cylinder since the crank throws are 120 deg apart. It's apples to oranges, but I've got two old Ford three cylinder tractors (one gas and one diesel) that are quite smooth.

It's kinda cool, you can hear some note in the video

Sounds like the L Dragon will be a little powerhouse...older article before Ford cancelled Focus to NA market, but the engine description sounds like it will make it to the new Escape...

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/fords-15-l-dragon-engine-to-replace-15-ecoboost-four-cylinder-in-the-us-125100.html

In addition to the Fiesta ST, Ford of Europe offers the 1.5-liter EcoBoost derived from the 1.0-liter EcoBoost in the all-new Focus. Two states of tune have been announced, packing 150 and 182 PS (148 and 180 horsepower). In the Focus, the L Dragon can be matched with the standard stick shift and optional eight-speed auto.

19 hours ago, Sevensecondsuv said:

I've got two old Ford three cylinder tractors (one gas and one diesel) that are quite smooth.

It has been too long since my dad swapped out the gasser for a diesel in his 4000, so I don't recall how it ran relative to the oil burner, and it's not often that I just get to sit there with the tractor running where I can pay attention to it, but I think you're right about it being relatively smooth. Then again, I'm kind of partial to the 4-banger sound, having grown up with an 8N. 

I do think the 3-bangers I use are smoother than the 4-pots, but once you're moving, you can't really pick out engine NVH from tire NVH and gopher mound NVH...:bike:

• Like 1