Is this the next gen Ford Ranger?

wuLthbA.jpg

uTpl54D.jpg

The Ford Ranger arrived on our shores this year after a long hiatus, but the North American truck is based on a design that's been on the global market since 2012. With that said, it's due for a redesign in just a few years. Recently, Australia's Wheels Magazine posted images of what could be the next-generation Ranger.

As the publication points out, the truck shares design cues with the 2020 Super Duty that was unveiled a few weeks ago. This truck appears to have a similar grille setup, C-shaped headlights, square foglight housings, and two-tone split rear bumper. From the front, this truck looks like an F-Series, but the proportions look closer to those of the midsize Ranger. The pictures were taken just this week in an outer Melbourne suburb, according to Wheels Magazine. It looks to us like the truck was being positioned for a photo shoot, judging by the lighting and the wheel dolly visible on the right front wheel. The background has been masked to hide the location, and our photographers detect some Photoshop touch-up throughout the images. Wheels Magazine believes this may be a clay model based on the blacked-out windows

The publication can't confirm whether or not this is the new Ranger due in 2021. If it's not the Ranger, then some future rival truck bears an uncanny resemblance to Ford's portfolio. If it is the Ranger, Ford clearly wants to link the midsize truck more closely to the F-Series, and thus to the American market. Ford will develop and build the next-generation VolkswagenAmarok as part of a global alliancebetween the two automakers, so the new design could spill over to the German truck as well.

The Ranger was designed and developed in Australia. The U.S. model relies on North American parts, and is built at the Michigan Assembly Plant. As we've noted before, although the Ranger has all-new sheetmetal, a new powertrain, and new technology, it's clear most of the new goods came out of a necessity to satisfy American crash and emissions standards, not as a redesign to suit American tastes. Expect Ford to take input from American product planners on the new Ranger.

We'll keep our eyes peeled for more information about the next-generation Ford Ranger, so stay tuned.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/next-generation-ford-ranger-leak/

where are the headlights? Below the two bars seem too low. Doesn’t appear to be anything above or on the side of the two bars either. I think that’s throwing off the flow of the design for me. I like the side of the truck, but it looks more like the VW truck than the ranger.

also why would they be doing a photo shoot of the next gen ranger now? Seems way too early for that. Especially since the ranger just rolled out in America. Wondering if this could be some other truck?

Edited by T-dubz

I hate to say it but I believe this is the 2021MY P703 (Ranger) for the global markets. We will get this exact Ranger here in North America for the 2023MY with some NA specific tweaks. It’s currently in design review/finalization for specific trims so it’s very close to reveal in global markets in the next 18 months.

• Like 2

Too much Chevy DNA in there:

-the grille, while similar to the F-150's look, looks too Chevy.

-the way the wheel arches (the bumps above the openings) are squared off is very Chevy, and doesn't follow Ford's more rounded wheel opening/arches style.

-the taillights look almost pulled from Silverado.

11 minutes ago, jasonj80 said:

I wonder if this is just a hard point CAD drawing to show dimensions but not style. These get sent to suppliers (Though normally not complete) so they can do bids for portions on the vehicle and have the measurements to what they are designing.

CAD drawings don't look that real....