Engine went off on left lane of the highway at 190 km/h (118 mph)

DieterG

2018 GT Convertible, AT, MR, 21.000 km (13.000 miles)

As said in title I was on the highway on sunday, driving on left lane to pass slower cars with speed around 190 km/h (118 mph) when the engine went off without any warning. (And no, I didn't touch "Start/Stop" and touching "Start/Stop" while the car is driving will not shut down the engine.)

I was able to reach the hard shoulder and stopped the car.

Starting the engine again was impossible.

I opened the door, closed it again and locked the car. Waited two minutes and unlocked the car.

Engine started without any problems. Full power, everything as allways.

No errors in error memory.

Mine is the fourth 2018er GT AT reported in German mustang6.de forum with that problem.

Anyone else here?

On 3/2/2019 at 10:41 PM, Ikzz said:

Let me understand: your car stopped at 190km/h while you were passing an other vehicle, on an highway? You have been lucky...

Exactly. I was on left lane of a three lane German Autobahn. and I had to pass the other two lanes to reach the hard shoulder. And I was lucky, that there was not so much traffic because it happened on Sunday.

But not the car stopped, "only" the engine went off. The car kept rolling.

Edited by DieterG

7 hours ago, DieterG said:

Exactly. I was on left lane of a three lane German Autobahn. and I had to pass the other two lanes to reach the hard shoulder. And I was lucky, that there was not so much traffic because it happened on Sunday.

But not the car stopped, "only" the engine went off. The car kept rolling.

Wow what an experience you got. At least you have been able to "drive" the car to a safe spot. Gratz to you and to your cold blood. I presume that when you hear your engine stopping at that speed you start feeling a chill down the spine...

Btw did you take the car to a mechanic after the event? 

Edited by Ikzz

Brought it to my dealer and got it unchanged back. Ford Cologne told him that it is a known issue and it happened to three other ponies befor (as I know from our forum).

They also told him, that it is a problem of communication between control units and that there will come an update within the next future. They said, that this error never occurred a second time.

They were instructed to clear the fault memory and return the vehicle to me.

So we will see, what will happen. As long as I do not get the reverse gear switched on at 200 km / h, I will be able handle it.

Anyway: Wondering, how many others all over the world had this issue!

16 hours ago, DieterG said:

Brought it to my dealer and got it unchanged back. Ford Cologne told him that it is a known issue and it happened to three other ponies befor (as I know from our forum).

They also told him, that it is a problem of communication between control units and that there will come an update within the next future. They said, that this error never occurred a second time.

They were instructed to clear the fault memory and return the vehicle to me.

So we will see, what will happen. As long as I do not get the reverse gear switched on at 200 km / h, I will be able handle it.

Anyway: Wondering, how many others all over the world had this issue!

I hope to not be the next one lol

• 2 months later...
39 minutes ago, DieterG said:

Oops, I did it again yesterday evening. Same situation, same speed.
Now we have had error codes
U0100-28
U0100-08
B1418
U0146
Ford Cologne told my dealer, that there will be an update for this problem in week 25.

I'll be in Cologne July 10/11, I think I'll need to borrow your car to further diagnose,,,,,

Hahahaha,   HRG

• Haha 1