The EU wants cars to self-limit to the speed limit?

Zooks527

This is interesting, assuming it's true.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2019/02/european-parliament-mandates-speed-limiters-on-all-new-cars/

Seems like the obvious consequence of letting a bunch of folks who have regulatory authority sit around with nothing to do.  Here's the primary source article from the EU committee itself, presented in an unsurprisingly self-congratulatory tone: https://etsc.eu/meps-back-life-saving-vehicle-safety-standards-in-key-vote/  Note the "no time to lose" quote.

Edited by Zooks527

They really come up with some absolutely stupid ideas. Some of them even wanted to limit the speed on German Autobahn to 120 km/h ~ 75 mph to reduce co2 emission. Others wanted to ban any kind of valve exhaust systems because they are "a source of unnecessary noise".

But self limiting cars are ridiculous...

Edited by Bachi

Actually, it appears that Ford already has the system (or something like it) on a number of their models.  I didn't know that.

https://etsc.eu/all-ford-focuses-sold-in-europe-will-feature-intelligent-speed-assistance/

http://brochure.ford.co.uk/ui/player.html?model=newfocus&market=en-gb&visual=IntelligentSpeedAssist

Edited by Zooks527

I had the new VW Arteon for a year. It has a new generation active cruise control which detects any kind of signs (like speed limits) and adjusts the speed of the cruise control automatically. For example if you set 60 mph and the car detects a 30mph sign it'll automatically slow down by itself. But you can reset the speed to 60 at any time.

So you're not forced to drive like 30 miles, it just helps you to not be faster than allowed.

20 minutes ago, Bachi said:

I had the new VW Arteon for a year. It has a new generation active cruise control which detects any kind of signs (like speed limits) and adjusts the speed of the cruise control automatically. For example if you set 60 mph and the car detects a 30mph sign it'll automatically slow down by itself. But you can reset the speed to 60 at any time.

So you're not forced to drive like 30 miles, it just helps you to not be faster than allowed.

Except the new rules would make it mandatory and not very easy to defeat.

19 hours ago, akirby said:

Except the new rules would make it mandatory and not very easy to defeat.

At least in Germany there will be no max. speed limit on the Autobahn, in the next few years (according to the government). We already have a lot of sections with a limit of 120 or 100 km/h.

But there will be a max. limit one day. We should enjoy the Autobahn as long as we're allowed, every other road already has a strict limit (~15-31 mph in city/town, 45-60 on highways "we usually call them Landstraße ;) " and 60 mph to unlimited on the Autobahn). And I think it works pretty well, here.

2 hours ago, Bachi said:

Volvo just announced that all cars, build from 2020, will be limited to 180 km/h (112 mph).

And another reason to not buy a Volvo goes on the pile.  Granted, the last time I was at or above that speed was in an M3 on a track, but it just seems to shove the nanny button in so hard that it comes out of the back of the panel.

18 minutes ago, Zooks527 said:

And another reason to not buy a Volvo goes on the pile.

Volvo with its Hybrid-Twin-Engine thing... definitely not a car you wanna own out of warranty. I barely drive on the autobahn once a week, but when I do, I usually go 150++

They don't want us to have fun.