Ranger Feb. sales prediction.......

Interesting question.  I have to say that I'm surprised that I have NOT seen one on the road yet.  I stopped at a dealer about 3 weeks ago and he had two.  One in showroom was "sold" . Went by there the other day and don't know about showroom but original one still there plus two more-both Lariats.  Another dealership close by has three. Also have not seen a print or TV ad yet.  Also one of the biggest "mega dealers" in MA has 13 listed on their website.

As much as we all want to see the new Ranger sell in record numbers, the rule of thumb is that it takes an entire model year for a new model to establish itself, get enough vehicles on the road and establish awareness. Another factor is Ford advertising which is usually slow to be placed for a new model until there's enough inventory available to support the related advertising. Current and former Ranger owners have been very vocal about why Ford stopped building and selling the Ranger in North America 8 years ago which would show a lot of pent up demand for the new Ranger. However, the new Ranger is much more of a downscaled F-150 than a revised or updated version of the previous Ranger and initial 2019 Ranger scheduling and production was heavily skewed towards Ranger Lariat SuperCrew models that have MSRP's in the mid $40,000 price range which is a big price increase for current and previous Ranger owners a/k/a Sticker Shock Syndrome. 

Our dealership has Rangers in the service department almost every day and I've talked to a number of those customers. They want and are ready and overdue for a new Ranger but they want something closer to what they have now. They want XLT or XL trim at a lower price point than what's available in stock right now. We have 2 Lariat SuperCrew Rangers in stock, an XLT that has been produced and another Lariat SuperCrew that will be in production in 3 weeks. Other scheduled units include 1 Retail XLT SuperCab (MSRP = $37,585) and 4 Fleet Ranger XL SuperCab units.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

Current and former Ranger owners have been very vocal about why Ford stopped building and selling the Ranger in North America 8 years ago which would show a lot of pent up demand for the new Ranger. However, the new Ranger is much more of a downscaled F-150 than a revised or updated version of the previous Ranger and initial 2019 Ranger scheduling and production was heavily skewed towards Ranger Lariat SuperCrew models that have MSRP's in the mid $40,000 price range which is a big price increase for current and previous Ranger owners a/k/a Sticker Shock Syndrome. 

Right, but the problem with the Ranger is that it was artificially cheap for years-IIRC my Dad bought his 1998 Super Cab Ranger for around 25K or so. In 2010 the same Ranger was only 28K! 

The Average cost of a new auto in the US is around 36K or so, so 40K isn't that much more then that-yes it is expensive, but not ridiculously so

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Can we expect a certain member to provide sales numbers for the usual suspects?

If you'd rather supply them privately, I'm happy to fill in my chart and provide them for everyone.

Thanks in advance!

I see they are up now on Carbase (http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales-data/ford/). The headline numbers were up a couple of days ago but the model numbers only got up there this morning. I had just finished doing an analysis of Lincoln's numbers, which were very good overall (except for poor Continental, now Lincoln's worst seller -- the MKT, up 311% for the month, though from a low base, actually sold more). Think I'll post that in the Lincoln section. But for Ranger, I see February sales were up about 34% at 2,899, from January's 2,153 sold).

Edited by Gurgeh
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Gurgeh said:

I see they are up now on Carbase (http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales-data/ford/). The headline numbers were up a couple of days ago but the model numbers only got up there this morning. I had just finished doing an analysis of Lincoln's numbers, which were very good overall (except for poor Continental, now Lincoln's worst seller -- the MKT, up 311% for the month, though from a low base, actually sold more). Think I'll post that in the Lincoln section. But for Ranger, I see February sales were up about 34% at 2,899, from January's 2,153 sold).

Holy hell that carbase site is html diarrhea  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

They might sell more Rangers if the dealers could actually get them shipped to them. I know all the local dealers are frustrated with several retail and stock orders that have been built, but are just sitting in a lot somewhere. Mine was built last week, but the dealer says the way things are going expect at least 6 weeks to get it here. That seems awfully slow to me. Anyhow I'm planning on it taking that long and if I get it sooner I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Edited by 2005Explorer