2020 Transit info

23 hours ago, twintornados said:

Where it claims a 2.0L diesel, they are likely referring to the new 3.0L Powerstroke V6 and more likely the 3.3 NA V6 as apposed to the 3.5L

While the 3.0L V6 seems like the logical fit (250 hp and 440 lb-ft), the 2.0L is pretty capable (180 hp and 420) OR in a bi-turbo version (213 hp and 368 lb-ft)

With the Powerstroke 3.0L maybe they could increase the anemic load/towing capacity.  It would make them a lot more competitive in the Class C motorhome market with plenty of room for the E450.

5 hours ago, theoldwizard said:

While the 3.0L V6 seems like the logical fit (250 hp and 440 lb-ft), the 2.0L is pretty capable (180 hp and 420) OR in a bi-turbo version (213 hp and 368 lb-ft)

With the Powerstroke 3.0L maybe they could increase the anemic load/towing capacity.  It would make them a lot more competitive in the Class C motorhome market with plenty of room for the E450.

I truly doubt the 2.0 diesel will see US shores...that's about as palatable to the US buyer as the 1.0 ecoboost in the...………..( pencil in failure )

5 minutes ago, blazerdude20 said:

The crew van seems like a great idea. I like the cargo divider behind the second row. 

5ED07057-DAE4-41FB-AF21-5C6FCFD2BA6F.jpeg

I'm surprised we didn't see it sooner.  It's much like the Isuzu LCF trucks that you often see used for lawn maintenance and whatnot that now have the crew cabs

2 hours ago, Deanh said:

I truly doubt the 2.0 diesel will see US shores...that's about as palatable to the US buyer as the 1.0 ecoboost in the...………..( pencil in failure )

Yea I'm not so sure either. I don't think Ford sells enough diesel Transit to bother with a new diesel engine in the US. The only thing I can think of is that Ford really wants to phase out the 6 speed auto so they are willing to go down to 2.0 I4 with 10 speed.

The current 3.2 I5 makes 185hp / 350 lb-ft. The new high output version of the Ford 2.0 I4 diesel that is replacing 3.2 I5 in Europe makes 185hp / 295 lb-ft... so it has same horsepower rating but lower torque. But with 10 speed, it probably eeks out same acceleration but better MPG than the I5 + 6 speed auto combo.

Mercedes used to sell Sprinter here with 2.1 I4 diesel and it got spanked by the Transit I5 pretty badly so they just upgraded the diesel to a new 3.0 I6 with 188hp / 325 lb-ft. Hard to imagine Ford ceding ground on the power race, even if it is a frigging cargo van.

1 hour ago, blazerdude20 said:

The crew van seems like a great idea. I like the cargo divider behind the second row. 

5ED07057-DAE4-41FB-AF21-5C6FCFD2BA6F.jpeg

Mercedes sells the Sprinter crewvan in the US... I'm really surprised that Ford is not making that an option here.

https://www.mbvans.com/sprinter/commercial-vans/crew-van

Edited by bzcat

30 minutes ago, bzcat said:

Mercedes sells the Sprinter crewvan in the US... I'm really surprised that Ford is not making that an option here.

https://www.mbvans.com/sprinter/commercial-vans/crew-van

Are they not?  It’s Fords website under future vehicles, with the crew van as an option. Along with the Diesel. 

Edited by blazerdude20

14 hours ago, blazerdude20 said:

Man even the E-series got an updated interior today. Guess the old girl will be around for a while. 

New steering wheel, gauges, and radio. 

C450F956-DCAE-4224-8B45-541F7F165EC9.jpeg

It amazes me they still use that ancient switchgear on the center stack.

C/D broke the embargo: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a26657959/2020-ford-transit-van-photos-info/

The base engine is indeed a new 3.5 V6

Also the 2.0 diesel is A LOT more powerful than the European top spec version. The US Transit is getting the Ranger Raptor version of the 2.0 diesel with 211 hp / 369 lb-ft instead of the 185hp / 295 lb-ft version that is replacing 3.2 I5 in European Transit.

The base 3.7-liter V-6 is out, replaced by a 3.5-liter V-6 with both port and direct injection. It's similar to the 3.3-liter V-6 in the F-150, which makes 290 horsepower and 265 lb-ft of torque. (Ford has not yet specified any output, fuel economy, payload, or towing figures, so bear with us.) Shoving aside the diesel inline-five, the 2020 Transit borrows the sequentially turbocharged 2.0-liter diesel inline-four from the overseas Ranger Raptor. Ford confirmed that the U.S. version produces the same 211 horsepower and 369 lb-ft, up from the five's 185 hp and 350 lb-ft. All engines pair with a 10-speed automatic transmission (goodbye six-speed) that offers a wider spread for improved fuel economy.

Edited by bzcat

49 minutes ago, akirby said:

I wonder if they're switching back to 3.5L for F150 also.  Doesn't seem to make sense to have a 3.3 and a 3.5.  Maybe the 3.3 just wasn't quite powerful enough.

Well looking back at that leaked 2020 FMC oil chart, the 3.3L is listed there and its currently only offered in the F-150, so at least for 2020, it appears to stay!

And now that the 3.7L is gone from the Transit, it too is listed there so I guess the 3.7L V6 will remain as the 2020 Continental's base engine, the only use of that engine now. Kind of odd they wouldn't have dropped it, and simplify the Continental build. For such a low volume model, they offer the 3.7L, 2.7L & 3.0L PLUS the China-only 2.0 EB as well!