When Will My Ranger be Shipped?

RIcky Ranger

Shipping seems to be hit and miss these days from everything I’ve seen. My dealer in South Dakota has some vehicles show up in 2-3 weeks after production and others 2 months later. Sorry I don’t have a better answer. Shipping is something Ford really needs to work on from everything I’ve read.

1 hour ago, 2005Explorer said:

Shipping seems to be hit and miss these days from everything I’ve seen. My dealer in South Dakota has some vehicles show up in 2-3 weeks after production and others 2 months later. Sorry I don’t have a better answer. Shipping is something Ford really needs to work on from everything I’ve read.

Luckily, I have an extra car right now while my kid is away. The bad thing is I have a wandering eye and have been checking out  other rides. I hope my willpower keeps me true to my Oxford White 4X2 Ranger.  There have been reports of trucks showing up unexpectedly at dealerships. I’m keeping my fingers crossed. 

• Like 1

On 3/4/2019 at 8:16 PM, RIcky Ranger said:

My Ranger was built on 2/11/19, but my dealership said there aren’t enough rail cars to transport my truck out to me in California. Any guess how long it will take to get my sweet new truck on a rail car? 

Shipping issues keep getting worse for Ford and there's little Dealers can do except submit inquiries and complaints to Ford which pretty much fall on deaf ears. Ford doesn't care because they've been paid for the vehicles and the Dealer is paying floorplan interest. Then Dealers have to go through the process of submitting a claim for floorplan reimbursement. There's not much you can do but be patient and know that it'll be worth the wait!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, RIcky Ranger said:

Good to know thank you. I ordered my truck through a smaller family owned dealership. Their customer service has been excellent. I know they are more frustrated thean I am about the delivery delay. 

That's the downside to ordering from a smaller dealer. Ford steps all OVER them. They normally have to beg and plead Ford to get answers and Ford doesn't always respond. 

Concur that the shipping side after the truck has been built is a mess.  My current Ranger that is locked down for me is a dealer trade since my ordered unit keeps getting pushed back.  When you live in more rural areas, the smaller volume dealers don't get the love...lol!  The dealer that is letting my dealer have the Ranger originally had it scheduled for a  2/18-2/24 delivery window to the dealer.  That came and went.  Latest delivery window per the system is 3/3-3/8.  Hoping that holds up, but today is the 7th and still Ranger on the ground at the dealer 60 miles away.  I'm betting the delivery window gets pushed again.  Truck build on 2/6.

Is this a problem with the rail system itself or the way Ford contracts with them?

How much extra would you be willing to pay to get faster delivery - say 1 or 2 weeks after it rolls off the line, guaranteed (using trucks instead of rail)?

35 minutes ago, akirby said:

Is this a problem with the rail system itself or the way Ford contracts with them?

How much extra would you be willing to pay to get faster delivery - say 1 or 2 weeks after it rolls off the line, guaranteed (using trucks instead of rail)?

Part of it is the rail system and part of it is Ford. There's still a shortage of rail cars nationwide and at least east of the Mississippi there's only 1 railroad worth a damn at efficiency. 

I don't know if there's enough trucks out there to start relying on them more and I don't think they do much, if any, interstate shipping via truck to begin with. That's pretty much all by rail. 

36 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Part of it is the rail system and part of it is Ford. There's still a shortage of rail cars nationwide and at least east of the Mississippi there's only 1 railroad worth a damn at efficiency. 

I don't know if there's enough trucks out there to start relying on them more and I don't think they do much, if any, interstate shipping via truck to begin with. That's pretty much all by rail. 

I'm talking only about retail sales and only if the customer pays extra, so the volume shouldn't be too big.  And there are aftermarket companies that specialize in shipping vehicles by truck.

1 hour ago, akirby said:

I'm talking only about retail sales and only if the customer pays extra, so the volume shouldn't be too big.  And there are aftermarket companies that specialize in shipping vehicles by truck.

I know, ford Exclusively uses outside companies for shipping. I just don't know how many of them go across state lines. I always thought it was mostly local