C8 Corvette allegedly too powerful for its frame

fuzzymoomoo

5 hours ago, falconlover 1 said:

And that vehicle is not a Corvette.

I agree 100%. The old Corvette stood out in the crowd. This one will blend in with 10 year McClarens, 20 year old Ferraris, and other assorted "exotic" sports cars.

I think GM would have learned from Cadillac's missteps, that putting great performance in a forgettable design just doesn't work.

• Like 2

Only GM would try to stuff that much power in a supercar.  There is a reason the other guys top out around 600-700.   Unless you're shooting for Veyron but there is a reason Veyron costs $2M. 

It's easy to build a chassis that can handle 1000 hp.  It's hard and expensive to keep it light and give it great handling at the same time.

Poor engineering on GM’s part.  When engineering and designing a new vehicle, you establish design parameters, e.i., size, weight, price point, engine options, etc. and you then design and engineer the vehicle to these specs.  The (alleged) fact that the chassis is flexing  means somebody goofed, like big-time.  This problem should have been caught months, or years ago.

35 minutes ago, mackinaw said:

Poor engineering on GM’s part.  When engineering and designing a new vehicle, you establish design parameters, e.i., size, weight, price point, engine options, etc. and you then design and engineer the vehicle to these specs.  The (alleged) fact that the chassis is flexing  means somebody goofed, like big-time.  This problem should have been caught months, or years ago.

Reminds me of the Vega. According to what I’ve read, it started coming apart on the test track and engineering had to go back and fix its weaknesses. Of course the corvette being different, no one wanted to work on the Vega project at the time. 

1 hour ago, mackinaw said:

What do you want to bet they started with one target and management came back and said we need the 1100 hp twin turbo V8 to win magazine comparos?

• Like 1

Is it me or does this on again off again mid engine vette program sound like a total train wreck. I'll wait to truly pass judgement when it comes out but they everything I've read just sound like the keep moving the goal posts. If you ripping up your frame then it was designed with lower power levels in mind.

The pricing conversation keeps being brought up too. I can't see GM designing a mid engine Vette and keep the price around 60 for supercars levels of performance. Well, I can if it has this amount of frame twist, the iron duke as the base engine, or GM wants to lose money on every one sold.

2 hours ago, akirby said:

What do you want to bet they started with one target and management came back and said we need the 1100 hp twin turbo V8 to win magazine comparos?

It was probably getting spanked by the Ford GT, and other mid-engine supercars in comparison tests, so management demanded more power.  Not exactly a feather in the cap for GM engineering.

17 minutes ago, Trailhiker said:

If they mess this up and make it too complicated and expensive, it will be a sales/profit failure and may be the last we see of the legendary name for a while.

They're keeping the current model - this is a new addition (supposedly).