Ford Edge ST Review “thanks but no thanks”

21 minutes ago, Gurgeh said:

As for the price, I did a quick comparison with the corporate cousin, and for $50k you can get a Nautilus Select with AWD and 2.7 and the climate package that gets you everything the ST has with a much nicer and very quiet interior and no fake engine noise. Personally, in my 2.7/AWD Nautilus I haven't noticed problems with the gear ratios on the new 8-speed, nor have I felt FWD-style torque steer problems, but then I may not be trying to push it like a sports car. I would never dare putting that 2.7 twin turbo together with FWD; that would indeed be asking for trouble.

Word is they have deleted the fake engine noise now.   I think they should have offered the 2.7L on the titanium but as you say maybe that's pushing more folks to the Nautilus.

29 minutes ago, akirby said:

Exactly - what some people want is really an Edge RS which we won't see on this platform.

^ The world according to akirby. 

What’s  clear is that if you’re a Ford loyalist (not a stock holder) and a track enthusiast and want factory performance upgrades and you can’t abide by a (high center of gravity) truck, your options are going to be limited, and well past the average new car transaction price.

Bring on the Focus replacement = EcoSport ST woohoooooooooooooooo 

21 minutes ago, MKII said:

^ The world according to akirby. 

What’s  clear is that if you’re a Ford loyalist (not a stock holder) and a track enthusiast and want factory performance upgrades and you can’t abide by a (high center of gravity) truck, your options are going to be limited, and well past the average new car transaction price.

It makes no sense to do an Edge RS on the current platform.  That's not my opinion, it's a fact.  The platform is dead going forward.

An ecoboost mustang would make a nice track car with the PP and it's certainly not super expensive.

Ford makes a lot more on Edge and Explorer ST than Focus and Fiesta ST.   That's the bottom line.  I understand it sucks for those fans and I still think we'll see some Focus vehicles after they get the Mexico plants changed over to C2.

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Ford makes a lot more on Edge and Explorer ST than Focus and Fiesta ST.   That's the bottom line.  I understand it sucks for those fans and I still think we'll see some Focus vehicles after they get the Mexico plants changed over to C2.

After seeing the pricing on the 2020 Explorer-I'm not so sure if Ford is really worried about the low end of the market at this time. I get some of its from simplified builds and adding more options, just seems like a huge jump from the starting price of $36K and adding an option package and a stand alone option or two and your looking at $46K. 

I'm interested how much the Escape pricing is going to change with the new model-from the rumors and some of the visible cheapening up of it for 2019, they can't seem to make a profit on a decently equipped Escape SE model that lists for about $28K or so. Then again that same SE has almost all the same options as the 2013 Ti model does. 

The video visually is very good.  And the guys voice and presentation style is good, he also matched his clothes to the interior well.......guess that's not hard just wear black and silver.  He made a good point about ST's roots and reason for its following and why this  looks Edge ST looks more like a product of the Marketing department than the ST people (which I always had the impression - true or not - was a small group semi independent from Ford).    But as he said many of the ST features are good, just the price is high.   But perhaps they are giving good discounts off the 50k. 

4 hours ago, 70 Stang said:

Is a CD6 Edge what's coming?

That's what I was told, but this was when we all thought CD6 was an architecture capable of both FWD and RWD. It may end up being C2 after all, I really don't know. This was over a year ago and my contact has since finished with the Edge and moved onto a different project. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PREMiERdrum said:

This. 

Remember that CD6 is more a collection of components than a singular "platform."

People I know are *very* optimistic on the NG Edge, though they're rightfully pissed at the timeline.  

Don't tell me they’re going Bronco with it and pushed it back 2 years ?

15 minutes ago, Fordowner said:

The video visually is very good.  And the guys voice and presentation style is good, he also matched his clothes to the interior well.......guess that's not hard just wear black and silver.  He made a good point about ST's roots and reason for its following and why this  looks Edge ST looks more like a product of the Marketing department than the ST people (which I always had the impression - true or not - was a small group semi independent from Ford).    But as he said many of the ST features are good, just the price is high.   But perhaps they are giving good discounts off the 50k. 

This. It's not an unfair argument either. 

I don’t know where you guys are getting pricing, but $50K is a FULLY LOADED ST with every box checked.  It can be had for as little as $43K.

A Titanium base with a couple of common options is $41K and fully loaded it’s $46K.

Like for like the cost difference is $2K - $5K.   Now you could argue the Titanium is overpriced, but honestly what other vehicle can compete performance wise with the Edge for $46K street price (or less)?

Sadly, he's not wrong. The same gauge cluster in my 2017 Edge that was cool when I first saw it in my 2013 Edge is now  really dated and looks low-def in 2019.  The undersized and blurry tach (whether as a "gauge" or a tiny little vertical strip) is particularly underwhelming.  The mish-mash of climate control buttons mounted on a slab of matte plastic is also unintuitive. I look forward to the refresh.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BoomerSooner said:

Sadly, he's not wrong. The same gauge cluster in my 2017 Edge that was cool when I first saw it in my 2013 Edge is now  really dated and looks low-def in 2019.  The undersized and blurry tach (whether as a "gauge" or a tiny little vertical strip) is particularly underwhelming.  The mish-mash of climate control buttons mounted on a slab of matte plastic is also unintuitive. I look forward to the refresh.  

They should've fixed that with the refresh but decided to put in a rotary shifter and do nothing else inside.

It'll be a full redesign.

2 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I was told that Edge was MY2021

2 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Don't tell me they’re going Bronco with it and pushed it back 2 years ?

Given what Ford has going on now with all the new/updated products between now and 2021-I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see the Edge slide to the right 18 months or so. It just got a refresh last fall, so it can survive 4 years or so till its replaced by a new model. 

The Bronco got pushed back about 12 months by my expected timeline for it...how did get pushed back by two?

3 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Given what Ford has going on now with all the new/updated products between now and 2021-I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see the Edge slide to the right 18 months or so. It just got a refresh last fall, so it can survive 4 years or so till its replaced by a new model. 

The Bronco got pushed back about 12 months by my expected timeline for it...how did get pushed back by two?

2015 UAW contract said by 2020 it would launch

40 minutes ago, BoomerSooner said:

This is very true. I rode in a friends Jeep Grand Cherokee and the quality of the screen was 100x better than what ford offers. It’s almost like ford uses SD screens and everyone else is using 4K. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

I don't think Edge/Nautlius can go 4 years.  Had they gotten interior refreshes, maybe, but 3 needs to be the max.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, T-dubz said:

This is very true. I rode in a friends Jeep Grand Cherokee and the quality of the screen was 100x better than what ford offers. It’s almost like ford uses SD screens and everyone else is using 4K. 

And the worst thing is they have a gorgeous digital cluster in the Mustang and Lincolns.  Heck, in the Mustang it's a drop in replacement for the analog gauges so it's not like there would be a lot of re-engineering needed.

4 hours ago, T-dubz said:

Interesting you brought up the grand Cherokee. I rode in one for with a uber driver. It’s was nice inside but the one thing I could not believe was how rough the idle was. I was on the back seat and at a light I could feel it running. It actually caught my attention. Felt like a 4 cylinder econo box. It had about 10k miles on it. 

Grand cherokees seemed to always have a plush interior even the older ones.

48 minutes ago, Harley Lover said:

That attitude/approach is exactly what has killed so many Ford products.

What has made Honda and Subaru so successful over time, always 5 years cycles. 1-3, update for 4-5 new model.

1 hour ago, itguy09 said:

And the worst thing is they have a gorgeous digital cluster in the Mustang and Lincolns.  Heck, in the Mustang it's a drop in replacement for the analog gauges so it's not like there would be a lot of re-engineering needed.

They could have at least used the old MKX IC in the updated Edge for something fresh (its already used in the Export Edges), Some one could be going on their 4th 2 year lease and still have the same gauge cluster.  

52 minutes ago, jasonj80 said:

What has made Honda and Subaru so successful over time, always 5 years cycles. 1-3, update for 4-5 new model.

I agree 100%. 8 years is a long time for a generation when the Japanese tend to stay to 5 years max. 

I wish the next gen Edge was happening sooner but 2023MY is what’s in the cycle plan.

Edited by ExplorerDude

5 minutes ago, ExplorerDude said:

I agree 100%. 8 years is a long time for a generation when the Japanese tend to stay to 5 years max. 

I wish the next gen Edge was happening sooner but 2023MY is what’s in the cycle plan.

It got pushed back then, because a year ago it was scheduled as a 2021.

15 hours ago, Anthony said:

I agree, I like his style and man does he take some incredible B-roll film.  I'm going to subscribe to him.  There was nothing in that review that made me think he was being unreasonable.

I’ve been a subscriber to him for about a year now and honestly think he has one of the best channels on YouTube. This guy is right down the middle and a performance/value geek. 

Last year he had the Challenger, Camero and Mustang-all top line models and he picked the Mustang even though it was the least powerful.

Plus I love how he puts a vehicle on a lift and goes over it from underneath. I don’t know anyone else doing that.